PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust a programmer?

zahid
03-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Does people trust programmers? Take it as self assessment of programmers community.

It came in my mind when I was reading the thread "Is this legal..".

I think programmers or people who knows what can be done through programs, do not trust programmers enough. Specially in case of programs without source code.

May be I'm wrong. May be I'm talking about future. What do you think?

face_master
03-03-2003, 12:23 AM
I think you're started more threads than posting on other people's threads ...

zahid
03-03-2003, 12:33 AM
hmm.. do you think 6 thread is too much in GD though I have seen 19+ . But definitely too much, compared with you :) .
Congratulations!!! Victory against England.

May be you are right, never noticed. I think the topic deserve a thread.

Anyway what about your opinion on lack of trust on programmers.

vasanth
03-03-2003, 12:48 AM
This is like asking do you trust doctors, lawyers, carpenter, politicians, teachers etc.. All jobs can be misused so can a programmer... It is people who you trust or dont trust not his/her job...

nvoigt
03-03-2003, 02:27 AM
I think it's quite the opposite. People do trust programmers. Even those they don't know. I do trust programs I buy. I don't trust programs I get by mail through unknown sources. But most people do, because they believe a program must do what it's name says. If it would format your disk, it would be called format, wouldn't it ? I am a programmer, and I trust other programmers like any other kind of people. I respect them, but I won't take sweets from strangers.

Sebastiani
03-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Don't be foolish. A program makes it easy to compromise security in a harmless-looking package - so, no I don't trust so easily. Programmers tend to be curious people. Last year I sent a 'quesient' program to my brother, and he ran it. He was fooled for an entire day and even sent me an email remarking how conversant the program was. He had no idea that when the program wasn't responding - I was - possible because of a live internet connection! Of course he wasn't surprised and even told me it was a great idea! And I can't lie that it was fascinated communicating to a program so far away! So there you have it. Not only can you not trust a programmer on a whim, you must also realize that friends can exert bad influences on people. Source code is better, but sometimes compilations with the headers and such can be a headache.

Anyway, since it is *impossible* to determine 100% if a program does only what it says it does, and you just have to hope that the company's good name is enough to guarantee a certain level of privacy...

Two points tho -

1) ordinary programs which gather 'public' information can be applied to much more poweerful programs that provide statistics and information the user would probably rather stay confidential.

2) programmers can even supplant malicious/intrusive code into commercial programs, something which the company is not even aware of.

Isn't that true also?

ammar
03-03-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by face_master
I think you're started more threads than posting on other people's threads ...

Yes you are right...

>>>Zahid
Yes I do.

zahid
03-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by ammar
Yes you are right...

>>>Zahid
Yes I do.
Seems like a joke :) , is that really?
I have tried to explain. Answer and truth is open to be explored, need a click and seconds to wait.

programmer1
03-03-2003, 02:00 PM
No, I don't trust programmers.

LouDu
03-03-2003, 06:40 PM
i do not trust programmers they knwo mroe thne others and can make newbs do bad things lol

Xei
03-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Thats right. Programmers are all evil people who really just want to steal your credit card numbers, stalk, and kill each and every one of your children.

"Mommy, the programmer next door is watching me funny..." - "Don't worry dear, he works for AOL."

Same thing with Gas Meter men, they come into your house to 'supposedly' check your gas usage, but really they are casing your house so that they can break in and steal all of your expensive equipment.

Postmen are the same, they hide anthrax in the mail. Oh no! Get out the ducktape!

The scariest thing of all is that all of our governments hide little cameras everywhere in our homes that we cant even see! Then they observe us! Then they look at us with their spy satellites that can see through absolutely everything! Even clouds! (we should tin-foil up our heads so that the programmers cannot read our thoughts)

Eibro
03-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Xei
Thats right. Programmers are all evil people who really just want to steal your credit card numbers, stalk, and kill each and every one of your children.

"Mommy, the programmer next door is watching me funny..." - "Don't worry dear, he works for AOL."

Same thing with Gas Meter men, they come into your house to 'supposedly' check your gas usage, but really they are casing your house so that they can break in and steal all of your expensive equipment.

Postmen are the same, they hide anthrax in the mail. Oh no! Get out the ducktape!

The scariest thing of all is that all of our governments hide little cameras everywhere in our homes that we cant even see! Then they observe us! Then they look at us with their spy satellites that can see through absolutely everything! Even clouds! (we should tin-foil up our heads so that the programmers cannot read our thoughts)
Hey, don't get me started on proctologists...

Panopticon
03-03-2003, 10:19 PM
>>Do people trust programmers

ye...no.

Yawgmoth
03-04-2003, 02:29 AM
No. By the way, don't you think this thread would be better with a poll?

zahid
03-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Yawgmoth
No. By the way, don't you think this thread would be better with a poll?

I don't think so.
See, in my opening post.
Self assessment of programmers community.

Lots of point already came out. One commented as this is a profession like doctors, lawyers, carpenter, politicians, teachers.