PDA

View Full Version : Wasim Akram: Cricket Legend (500 one-day Wickets)

Pages : [1] 2

zahid
02-25-2003, 10:38 PM
500 one-day wickets: Congratulations to Wasim!!!!!!
*** Founder and only member of 500 club ***

Stoned_Coder
02-26-2003, 06:49 AM
Normally I would congratulate him but is it not proven that he has cheated by taking bungs and also ball gouging with bottle tops to get extra reverse swing. What a waste of talent.

Govtcheez
02-26-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Stoned_Coder
Normally I would congratulate him but is it not proven that he has cheated by taking bungs and also ball gouging with bottle tops to get extra reverse swing. What a waste of talent. SC, I thought you'd be the last person I'd have to remind that this is an English language board. :p

Is there some "Cricket for Americans" tutorial that you'd recommend on the web?

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 07:36 AM
>>> Cricket for Americans

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Forget it cheez, a full international match takes 5 days, with no commercial breaks, your not going to see it over there.

Anyone have that link to the cricket rules that has lines like...

"A player goes out to come in, and stays in until he's out, when he comes in again"

... I read it somewhere once, and to those who understand the game, it is all quite true, but to anyone that doesn't it would be pure gibberish.

Govtcheez
02-26-2003, 07:41 AM
I know I'm not going to see it over here (actually, if I had a satellite dish, maybe), but it'd be nice to be able to know what's going on. Eh, guess I'll have to do some research on it.

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 07:46 AM
I googled for a while and found a fragment of it...

>>>
"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out. When they are all out, the side that's been out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

"When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out, he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who are all out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game."
<<<

BTW India are 92 for 2 off 15.1 at this very second.

Govtcheez
02-26-2003, 07:50 AM
O.... K.....

Maybe it's not worth it

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 07:58 AM
>>> Maybe it's not worth it

On the contrary. Cricket is a game where sportsmanship thrives. You will find supporters and players from one side applauding loudly a well timed shot, a good ball or good fielding from the opposing side.

At the end of the day, the result is generally less important than a "good game", played in fairness and with each side appreciating the strengths of the other without defaming them. At stumps, both sides will frequently slope off to the pavilion together in a friendly comradly way to discuss the finer points of the match, and of matches gone by, happy to be associated with The Game.

There is a lot the rest of the world, (not just sporting), could learn from studying and adopting the ways of cricket.

India 94 for 2 off 17.3.

Govtcheez
02-26-2003, 08:01 AM
That's good to hear. It's always nice to see sportsmanship being displayed.

> India 94 for 2 off 17.3.

C'mon - everyone knew THAT was going to happen

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 08:08 AM
>>> C'mon - everyone knew THAT was going to happen

Well, I would agree that after being 92 for 2 off 15.1 that 94 for 2 off 17.3 was possible, but that is not a very high scoring rate. Now for example, they are 97 for 2 off 19.1, 5 runs off 4 overs. Do you see?

Goodness me cheez, didn't you read the rules I posted a little while back? It should be obvious by now!

minesweeper
02-26-2003, 08:20 AM
Adrian, very true about the sportsmanship. I remember many a time as opening batsman for the school team that I would be cracking jokes with the wicket keeper all through my innings. Surprisingly tiring as well. I have to really hand it to the test match players. We once had a sort of mock one-day match and I was batting for about 2-3 hours. I was really tired after my innings were over.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw
Well, I would agree that after being 92 for 2 off 15.1 that 94 for 2 off 17.3 was possible, but that is not a very high scoring rate. Now for example, they are 97 for 2 off 19.1, 5 runs off 4 overs. Do you see?

I see that Flintoff has only 3 overs left. England needs some reinforcements after that :D

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 08:29 AM
I used to bat 6 or 7 for my employer, my pub and even had a couple of turn outs for my village team. Bowled a reliable line and length and as a result, was economic. My Yorker was my strike weapon and on a good day, I could get a bit of movement.

Ah, a limited overs game on a nice day, some interesting incidents to discuss during the after games drinks and sandwiches, with friendly opponents. It was all so civilised. Sometimes I think I might look for a job in England again.

I can't update the score, my ball-by-ball has stopped?

*** EDIT ***

Started again,

India 112 for 3 off 25.2

Stoned_Coder
02-26-2003, 08:34 AM
ok.... glossary

Bung taking...... Taking large amounts of cash for illegal purposes such as match throwing or pitch reports etc.

Reverse swing..... This is harder to explain. A cricket ball consists of highly polished leather around a hard centre stitched with 7 rows of stitches. The stitching is known as the seam. You will here talk of seam bowlers. These are medium paced bowlers who look to pitch the ball on the seam itself to make it whizz about. Each half of the cricket ball ages as its used. What these bowlers want to be able to do is to bowl very fast and also get the ball to move sideways thru the air. That way if the ball isnt where the batsman thinks its going to be he may well edge it ( not hit it with the meat of the bat) and it could pop up for an easy catch.This sideways movement is called swing. It works by principles of air resistance. The bowlers allow one half of the ball to age and keep polishing the other half on their trousers. This makes the ball more resistant to air on one side and so will cause sideways movement. A few years ago waqur and wasim found a way to get reverse swing at very fast bowling speeds. they were roughing up one side of the ball with a bottle top off a lager bottle. This increased the air resistance and so caused massive swing at high speeds. This is totally illegal in cricket. You may only spit and polish the ball on your trousers.

Govtcheez
02-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Interesting... Thanks SC - I think I got most of that.

minesweeper
02-26-2003, 08:41 AM
>>Yorker<<

As a batsman, the bane of my life. Ideal bowling for maiden overs, just can't do a thing with it besides stick your bat in the ground!!

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 08:42 AM
>>> they were roughing up one side of the ball with a bottle top off a lager bottle

I must say, I thought the very clear footage of Atherton "drying" the ball with sand/soil was a little dubious.

I saw Waqar and Wasim in action at The Oval once, man, they were good. On the day, I thought Waqar Younis had the edge over Wasim.

Stoned_Coder
02-26-2003, 08:45 AM
oh yes the infamous dirt in the pocket. Never liked him anyway. If only hick could have played against fast bowlers or thorpe wasnt such a $$$$ as a man or we could have found a wicket keeper who could bat a bit so stewart didnt have to over exert himself then england might actually win the odd match!

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Trescothick is a person who can be a problem to the opposite team. Nasser Hussain's another one. Flintoff has performed excellently so far today. I think England has got quite a team in here. It's just a question of all of them clicking together ... same is true for the Indian team as well.

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Lot of truth there SC. I was always in agony for the first seconds of an England innings waiting for Atherton to be out stupidly wafting a foot or more outside off. Once that inevitability had happened you could settle down to enjoy the game, (at least until the mid order collapse started!).

>>> I think England has got quite a team in here

Vaughan has also had some good spells. He had a marvellous year last year, and some damn fine knocks during the Australia tour.

>>> same is true for the Indian team

Ain't that the truth.

India 135 for 3 off 31.5

minesweeper
02-26-2003, 09:06 AM
I am programming at home with broadband, is there anywhere I can stream commentary or at least get ball-by-ball updates?

EDIT: have got scorecard updates from bbc, is there anywhere that streams audio?

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 09:11 AM
There a "ball-by-ball" button on this page...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/cwc2003/default.stm

... I can't find a webcast with live commentary, I've not for any of the cup games, I don't know if one of the satellite channels has bought the rights.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 09:28 AM
I wish I could see the match broadcast on the internet ! ... I'd love to see India get out of the mess they have got themselves into.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 09:30 AM
One more wicket in the next five overs and i'd give up ! :(

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 09:32 AM
>>> One more wicket in the next five overs and i'd give up !

Your assuming England will do better - always a dangerous assumption!

Have you got an audio feed where you are, I can't find anything anywhere?

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 09:45 AM
I have installed 'MSN cricketer 3.0'. That's as closest as I can get to a live match :(

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 10:18 AM
India finish on 250 for 9 off their 50. The run rate picked up well towards the end there I thought, although the wickets were tumbling. 250 is a reasonable score, not huge, but reasonable. Now lets see what England can do.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 10:19 AM
whoa ! ... 250/9 India. Looks like England will have a tough time today. Had it not been for Flintoff's excellent bowling spell, I'm sure we would have put 300 runs in the scoreboard !

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 10:33 AM
>>> Flintoff

2 for 15, I'd be very happy with that. Certainly the pick of the bowlers, Andy Caddick has one more wicket but was very expensive.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 11:01 AM
uh-oh ! Night run-out in the first over itself. I'd love to see this as a close match rather than a clear washout by the Indians.

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 11:03 AM
A run out in the first over - that sounds like school boy league stuff!! Of course, I can't SEE anything so it might have been a superb piece of fielding. Whatever, not the best start possible.

England 11 for 1 off 3.4.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 11:18 AM
oops! Trescothick gone. England in deep trouble :D

Stoned_Coder
02-26-2003, 11:32 AM
19 for 2. Deep merde!

At least irani playing. maybe there is some hope!

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Need a big knock from Vaughan and Hussein to steady things now.

Eng. 25 for 2 off 10.3

Stoned_Coder
02-26-2003, 11:38 AM
Can nasser still bat. lol he was great as a youngster. I went to school with him. he was school cricket capt for under 10s,11s,12s,13s,14s, etc. but he has been pants since becoming capt for england.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 11:40 AM
I'd be uneasy as long as Vaughan is down there on the wicket. He is a potential match-winner.

Stoned_Coder
02-26-2003, 11:43 AM
I agree vaughn has played well this year pretty much all year. Only england player who has tho. Trescothik got off to a flier but has looked increasingly shaky since.

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Well 52-2 52-3 52-4 if this is reporting correctly.

*** EDIT ***

Yup it was right, disaster, Stewart for a duck. He was one of the others I had hopes for. Vaughan is still there but not scoring. Collingwood has had a couple of good knocks, but I think it is over bar the shouting.

*** EDIT ***

62-5 Vaughan gone. Hope gone. Look forward to reading the match report.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 12:36 PM
77 for 5. With Vaughan out, I'm skeptical if England still stand a chance. Anyways, I'd prefer England to Pakistan in the super six so wish us luck in beating Pakistan (March 1) :)

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Sounds like Ashish Nehra is a man possessed! 96-6 off 28 now, Nehra 4 for 20 off 8.

minesweeper
02-26-2003, 01:08 PM
We suck, that's all there is to it.

Stoned_Coder
02-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Well another great collapse from the england boys. To be expected these days. English government just doesnt pour enough money into sport.

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 01:22 PM
Sounds like Ashish Nehra has played a real blinder. He's a relative newcomer, (i.e wasn't playing test when I was still in England).

6 for 23, well done the lad.

From BBC
>>>
Ashish Nehra tears the heart out of England's batting line-up with a brilliant six-wicket spell in Durban.

The left-armer rips through the middle order, backed up by some good catching, after opener Nick Knight throws away his wicket with a needless run out.

Nehra's figures of 6-23 are thethird best in World Cup history.
<<<

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 01:38 PM
yeah, he is a promising lad. But not as consistent. Here and there we see those brilliant flashes. I hope he delivers in the future (against Pakistan, to be precise :))as well.

125 for 8 Eng. I guess the least England can do now is to atleast bat for the entire 50 overs. That will help them with the net run rate (just in case India lose to pakistan on March 1;))

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 01:43 PM
>>English government just doesnt pour enough money into sport.<<

The Indian govt. does not have money to put into sports. The entire funding comes from commercial endorsements. I guess it's because of the popularity of the game among the masses (We are the second in population next to China :)).

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 01:50 PM
So Flintoffs 50, hero with the bat as well as the ball today. After Nehra's 10 were up, things have steadied, but I still think it is too late.

Indian_fan
02-26-2003, 02:25 PM
India won by 82 runs !!!

I wish England had put up a better fight. Things seem to be spiralling their way when Flintoff was on fire. The Indian middle order saved the day for them plus some excellent support in the bowling department from Nehra. I'd like to see the man-of-the-match award shared between Nehra and Flintoff. It was their day.

Pakistan Beware ! 2 days to go !

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 02:33 PM
A good result for India, and well done Ashish Nehra. The comment I made about the change in fortunes after his 10 would worry me though. If he had not been firing, or if the top order had seen his 10 off, I think things may have been different!

So I guess now, if Namibia beat Australia tomorrow, and then England do the same Sunday, the group should be well interesting! Yeah, I know, it is not necessary to comment;)

Govtcheez
02-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Wow... This is the first day I can remember when none of the new posts on GD made ANY sense to me. You guys are worse than Xterria.

adrianxw
02-26-2003, 02:57 PM
>>> You guys are worse than Xterria.

Ouch, that's a bit strong isn't it?