PDA

View Full Version : I don't love Microsoft.

mithrandir
08-25-2001, 07:20 AM
I use Windows - I don't love it, I don't hate it. It is convenient to use as it is everywhere. If I didn't have to use it I wouldn't, but it gets the job done. I don't care about .NET, nor am I excited about XP - more mediocre products from Microsoft as far as I'm concerned.

How does everyone else feel?

ggs
08-25-2001, 07:24 AM
Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot with Hailstorm, and there better be at least *one* linux distribution completed wrapped up in gui by the time Microsoft releases it's most risky bit of work ever.

SilentStrike
08-25-2001, 10:46 AM
I don't think one will ever be able to be a "power" linux user without extensive knowledge of the command line.

ggs
08-25-2001, 10:53 AM
Behind Windows (at least for a little time) is DOS. Behind MAC OS X is a version of Unix. It's doable. It has just yet to be done.

Witch_King
08-25-2001, 11:03 AM
You deserve your misery because you use old Microsoft technology such as Win9X. You still believe that you are running DOS. That is pathetic. You know what, you really do need a new computer. lol.

ggs
08-25-2001, 11:30 AM
My computer is fine, and I am currently consigned to Windows ME, and as established earlier on these boards *still runs* on DOS. They've just hidden it.

I'd love to use 2k, but I don't have it yet

edited:

I just realized your comments are invalid, because I don't compute in misery... I'm just fine, it's just that after having tasted Linux I know it could be better.

Cheeze-It
08-25-2001, 12:41 PM
Yeah, and what's up with this Xbox thing?

Witch_King
08-25-2001, 12:48 PM
LINUX (LINTUS) is aweful!

You don't know what a professional operating system is because you don't have one. WinME is not a business operating system. Linux is a professional system but man it is yucky to work with.

mithrandir
08-27-2001, 01:54 AM
>aweful!

Lern howe too spel and peopil mite take yu seriosley.

Witch_King
08-27-2001, 04:01 AM
I'm not interested in spelling. I can't please everyone.

Yeah, and what's up with this Xbox thing?

Did you download the XBOX development kit and the XBOX prototype kit? Microsoft already offered an XBOX independant developer program and XBOX incubator program. Why didn't you get in on that training?

rick barclay
08-27-2001, 01:00 PM
Most of the problems people experience with their
(especially MS) operating sytems are caused by factors
outside the OS itself. MS Millenium is a good operating
system with little or no security against intruders. Windows
2000 Pro is a very, very stable operating environment which
has become the target of choice for hackers around the
world. Experience has shown them to be vulnerable.
Linux is the web hoster's op sys of choice because (1) it
is very stable, and (2) it is safer because it hasn't become
the target of hackers to the extent MS has. I asked my
web hoster for a Win 2k pro server when I signed up. They
told me ok, and put my on a linux server. When they told
me why they did what they did, I stopped yelling and thanked
them, even though it makes much more work for me in testing
any perl or cgi files I wish to use on my web page.

I love to blame others for the problems I cause. But when I
stop and realize that blaming others isn't going to solve my
problems, I can then get down to business and confront
the problem head-on by asking mself, "Okay, Rick, what did
you do, and start at the beginning." It works. Believe me.

rick barclay

Govtcheez
08-27-2001, 01:04 PM
I love to blame others for the problems I cause. But when I stop and realize that blaming others isn't going to solve my problems, I can then get down to business and confront the problem head-on by asking mself, "Okay, Rick, what did you do, and start at the beginning." It works. Believe me. Holy crap! Someone took responsibility for their actions! Gratz, rick, on being the first person on this site with enough balls to admit the problem might be with something they did, rather than blaming the tool! Why do we blame computers for the problems that we normally cause? When you smash your thumb with a hammer, do you throw away the hammer and get a new one (possibly a free one that comes with the plans)?

-KEN-
08-27-2001, 02:29 PM
>>(possibly a free one that comes with the plans)?

oooh! The Linux-Hammer! I've heard of it before...It's a fairly stable hammer, but it's probably the UGLIEST hammer I ever met.

ggs
08-27-2001, 02:32 PM
hey, if you had to use a background console in Windows to do half of the tasks the GUI now does, it'd be pretty damn ugly too...

Cheeze-It
08-27-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Witch_King

Did you download the XBOX development kit and the XBOX prototype kit? Microsoft already offered an XBOX independant developer program and XBOX incubator program. Why didn't you get in on that training?
Woh, woh, woh. Wait a minute. What's this? I
remember reading something about the independent
developer program, but I didn't know stuff was
available for download... Explain!

Witch_King
08-27-2001, 07:18 PM
Give me a day or two. I have to write yet another midterm in the morning and then another. I'll get more information on this. Did you go to the official website yet (XBOX website)? Use MS search....