PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Genre: Tv/Movies/Books

drdroid
02-19-2003, 09:16 PM
This post is in my curiosity of the scifi/prgrogrammer myth. What's your favorite genre? Post why, along with favorite tv show, movie and book from your genre. I hope this one goes some where. :rolleyes:

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to post my favorite. Sci Fi. My current favorite tv show is Farscape. My favorite older tv show is Star Trek: The Next Generation. As for SciFi books, I'd have to go with timeline, even though it mixes alot with fantasy... i like the scientific side to all of michael chriton books... (off topic)however my favorite book is The Cukoos Egg. My favorite Sci Fi movie... um... Not the wrath of kahn... not the one with the whales... The Matrix, The 13th floor, or SWIV.

drdroid
02-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Forgot... post why and favorite tv show/movie/book.

GanglyLamb
02-20-2003, 12:53 AM
I dont really know why i just like science fiction although that doesnt includes tha Stanley Kubrick movie Space Odessey 200*whatever (coz that movie sucked big time)

dP munky
02-20-2003, 12:55 AM
COMEDY COMEDY COMEDY!!!

Panopticon
02-20-2003, 01:45 AM
Yeah, why isnt there a choice for comedy? I like comedy! and programming...

I myself don't like sci-fi as much because of the scientific incorrectness of it all. I mean, sounds in space, being able to see laser beams, aliens all able to speak English... etc

Don't get me wrong though, Im not the closed-minded type... as in, just cos a film's got a ship that can warp space-time at will using an onboard matter / antimatter battery doesn't make the film a load of bs :) Its the things mentioned above that bug me about sci-fi.

Hammer
02-20-2003, 03:05 AM
I added a Comedy option.

Personally, I'm a sci-fi freak :)

adrianxw
02-20-2003, 03:06 AM
>>> Fantasy(I know this should be with SciFi But I wanted to seperate the two

I don't know why SciFi and Fantasy are always lumped together, I read loads of SciFi but don't like the Fantasy genre, it is completely different. It is irritating when you go to Amazon and look at their reco. list, and it is full of what I would consider to be rubbish.

>>> I mean, sounds in space,

Everyone knows that space sounds remarkably like the Blue Danube Waltz.

Govtcheez
02-20-2003, 07:24 AM
> Space Odessey 200*whatever (coz that movie sucked big time)

Heathen!

I like a bit of everything - I read scifi, fantasy, history, and some others, I'll watch just about anything...

napkin111
02-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Fantasy all the way! I was sucked into the fantasy world back when I got a copy of Final Fantasy for easter in like 1993. I *love* the medieval times with dragons, magic, swords, etc. R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books are the best :D. I've read all 17 of em and I can't wait for more...FANTASY ALL THE WAY, DOWN WITH THE FUTURISTIC SUPPRESSION!

//napKIN

02-20-2003, 09:52 AM
i like anything thats good...

i tend to shy away from action/adventure because to me it usually seems to have less depth, and i dont like historical as much because i like watch or read about weird things that didnt really happen...

carrja99
02-20-2003, 10:22 AM
Well, I've always been a big Sci-Fi freak, my favorite TV shows include Sliders, ST:TNG, amongst others.

Favorite Movies include Brazil, The Matrix, Fight Club (Not Sci-Fi), Fifth Element, Minority Report, and well, basically, too many to think of. I really can't go into this!

As for books, Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and Dune, amongst others.

Liger86
02-20-2003, 11:55 AM
I wish they made something that has to do with mechwarriors. like mechassult the movie! cool?

Travis Dane
02-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by dP munky
COMEDY COMEDY COMEDY!!!

Fountain
02-20-2003, 03:43 PM
I used to love space 1999 when I was a kid !:cool:

A link for the 'Young uns' (http://www.space1999.uk.com/)

My favourite books are horror books, dont read sci fi ones.

James Herbert is a GOD.

http://www.james-herbert.co.uk/

Read these since I was young-rats,lair etc. Top drawer!

Govtcheez
02-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Fountain
Frank Herbert is a GOD.Fixed.

Fountain
02-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Fixed.

Ummm no, it is now a broken post.

To fix it:

JAMES Herbert is THE god.

Now fixed. :)

Nova_Collision
02-21-2003, 11:57 AM
I put other because I don't really have a favorite genre other than "The darker, the better." The best movies/games/books are ones where really bad stuff happens or the atmosphere is really dark. The Alien movies are really good for this, same with 13th Warrior and Arlington Road. Good dark games are Undying, Thief(Although I found it too challenging to enjoy), Good ol' Doom. As far as books go, anything by John Saul.

Govtcheez
02-21-2003, 12:02 PM
> Thief(Although I found it too challenging to enjoy)

Thief would've been better if they had stuck to the realistic world (IMO). I mean - they try to force realism by making you hide in the shadows and stuff, but then you have to use holy water arrows to kill zombies? Who's lame idea was that?

TechWins
02-21-2003, 04:20 PM
My favorite genre is whatever is good. I like a wide variety of movies and games. I don't specifically like a movie/game because it is apart of a particular genre, nor, am I not going to like a movie/game because it is not apart of a particular genre. However, I don't all that much, because my mom doesn't have enough time to read to me anymore. :(

Zewu
02-21-2003, 05:28 PM
I think my favourite genre is drama. I want to see how people feel and see how they do.

Have you seen a movie named "Fresh" from 1994, about a young black boy who was growing up in misery, with parallels to the game of chess? That was a good drama I think.

One thing I'm really sick of is all these AMERICAN ROMANTICAL COMEDIES!!!!!

Travis Dane
02-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Zewu

One thing I'm really sick of is all these AMERICAN ROMANTICAL COMEDIES!!!!!

One thing I'm really sick of is all these AMERICAN DRAMAS!!!!!

Govtcheez
02-21-2003, 06:29 PM
So DON'T WATCH THEM!

skipper
02-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Biographies/History.

I'm currently in the middle of Robert K. Massie's Peter the Great. Shameful that I waited this long to read it. Excellent.

(Okay, you "kids" can go back to sci-fi and games. The old guy is finished. :D )

-Skipper