PDA

View Full Version : CD Boot - Need Help

(TNT)
10-19-2001, 01:20 AM
Hi,

I have a cd that i must boot from to install it. The problem is my bios wont boot from the cd rom, i have tried all settings currently:

First Boot: CD
Second Boot: CD
Third Boot: CD

And it dont work, my cd boots fine off of my laptop.

Is there a way that i can boot off it manuely or add a line to my autoexec to boot off it??

Thanks
TNT

Troll_King
10-19-2001, 01:23 AM
You can't type the executable path name on the command prompt?

Fordy
10-19-2001, 02:39 AM
>>You can't type the executable path name on the command prompt?

Makes sense....create a bootable floppy.....add MSCDEX.exe to it.....add oakcdrom.sys........load oakcdrom in the config.sys...launch mscdex in the autoexec........restart with it.....go to d: (if you have nominated this as the cdrom).....run the setup (or whatever you need to run)....

(TNT)
10-19-2001, 05:31 AM
Hi,

The problem is though that i dont know the executble path i have tried to run it manually, using d:\setup.exe but that isnt the exe that boots, and it wont run in dos mode. If i use Fordys method will it just boot off the cd or get me to a prompt???

Cheers

TNT

Fordy
10-19-2001, 05:57 AM
First off...which disk are you trying to boot off??

The method I used will get you to a prompt. If you dont feel happy playing with dos yourself then create a windows startupdisk.

You should try a little investigation while in windows mode. Once the cd boots, you will probably have an autoexec on the cdrom. have a look and see what program its launching after bootup. It may be difficult to simply launch that proggy without booting from the disk ecause certain things may be loaded before the program launches. Without knowing what you are trying to achieve or what disk you are using, I am totally in the dark here.

Oh...I'm assuming you are using windows......

(TNT)
10-19-2001, 06:10 AM
Hi,

Im using windows, and trying to install xp.

I am comfatable with playing with dos and i have done its just i dont know which file boots off the cd. I cant find anything on the cd to tell me which file boots.

Would it be worth me upgrading my bios or somthing?

Thanks again.

TNT

Fordy
10-19-2001, 06:21 AM
I just found this on another board....

To install!!!!! You can copy the I386 directory from the CD to the hard drive (or do it
from CD) and just run WINNT at a command line and it will install XP without having to
have it boot from the disk.

Cant vouch for it...but give it a try

basilisk
10-19-2001, 06:21 AM
if you already have windows installed then just run the setup program from within windows - you dont actually have to boot up from the cd itself - and then you can choose whether to update your current version of windows. I used a bootable cd for mine but didnt boot from it and installed it the way above

(TNT)
10-19-2001, 06:46 AM
Hi,

I copied the i386 dir, then when i ran winnt from dos mode, it opened the winxp setup, but it wanted a directory with valid instalation files or somthing. (i got the same error when running winnt off the cd)

Also i cant install it in windows, because the cd is 100% kosher and for some reason i get an error when i try to install it from there. But when i boot from the cd on another machine i can start the instalation fine.

There must be a way to get around this...

Thanks in advance.
TNT

Fordy
10-19-2001, 07:33 AM
Are you in the right dir whent you type "WINNT"?

I dont know the xp disk so I'm guessing.

a:\> c:

c:\> cd i386

c:\i386> winnt

>>(i got the same error when running winnt off the cd)

Again, are you in the right dir when you type WINNT, or are you addressing it from another dir (IE......C:\i386\WINNT)?

Troll_King
10-19-2001, 07:53 AM
Under START menu choose FIND -files and folders. Make sure that the appropriate CD drive is selected. Likely drive D, than enter:

*.exe

This will list the exectutable. Than in the command prompt type the full path of the executable.

(TNT)
10-19-2001, 08:23 AM
Hi,

Thanks, i have already tried the search for exes. And i am definatly running the correct winnt.exe

but when i run it it searchers for an inf file, and wants a dir with the correct instalion files in it.

I have just installed it on my laptop off that cd, so it defiantly works. I cant think of any other ways to fix it?

Thanks
TNT

Fordy
10-19-2001, 08:30 AM
Check your Private Message

rick barclay
10-19-2001, 11:01 AM
The directory tree for WinXP Pro looks like this:

folders: DOCS
I386
SUPPORT
VALUEADD

root files: AUTORUN.INF
README.HTM
SETUP.EXE
Win51
WinIP

You can install the program from your hard drive by double-clicking
on setup.exe.

rick barclay

(TNT)
10-19-2001, 11:21 AM
Hi Rick,

I cant run the setup.exe casue i get an error when i run it thorugh windows. I have to use the dos setup, the one that boots and i cannnot workout how i use it, it installed fine though boot on my laptop.

Do you know how do to it in dos, as i cant boot off it....

Thanks
TNT

rick barclay
10-19-2001, 11:53 AM
You shouldn't get an error in Windows and you shouldn't
be able to install it through DOS.

What's the error message?

I installed XP Pro fro my hard drive with no problem. Maybe
one or more of your installation files is corrupt.

rick barclay

(TNT)
10-19-2001, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I installed it from boot on my laptop and it worked fine. In windows when i click install xp, it says that it specifed an invalid install path to setup. So i have to boot from it to install it.

There must be a way.....

Thanks