PDA

View Full Version : Other Programming Languages

cozman
10-18-2001, 08:06 PM
I want to learn a small programming language that I don't already know, preferably one that is easy to have some fun in, I have C/C++ for my real work. (dont know why, i think i just like learning programming languages)

I already know:
BASIC
C
C++
Euphoria
Pascal
and a few web "non-languages" (HTML, JavaScript, some VBscript etc.)

Breach23
10-18-2001, 08:11 PM
Yeah, C++ rules all, unless you want to learn ASM, which is so much harder. I don't think it'll be too much fun to do.:)

mfc2themax
10-18-2001, 08:13 PM
learn these....

Java
VB
Python
PHP
JSP
ASP

SilentStrike
10-18-2001, 08:14 PM
Python

I don't know it, but bruceeckel raves about it in his book "Thinking in Java"

Breach23
10-18-2001, 08:15 PM
Yeah, actually I forgot. Python would be pretty good. It is a little easier than C++, and it's pretty fun to use. :)

cozman
10-18-2001, 08:50 PM
NO VB!

(sorry but i hate VB so much, it managed to drain so much of the fun out of programming for me)

Breach23
10-18-2001, 08:51 PM
LoL Visual Basic...Worst programming environment I've ever seen...

Nick
10-18-2001, 09:08 PM
Scheme is small compare http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/r4rs_toc.html to the c++ standard or a draft of the c++ standard.

-KEN-
10-18-2001, 09:56 PM
Blech, my first hour class is VB :( ...pray for me. I've survived this long, but who knows - In my class People actually try writing programs without declaring variables (even though in VB that works!), try to name thier variables "Some Spaced Out Thing" then complain when it won't work, they don't know what a loop is, they scoff at anything done in DOS (because they're big, bad VB programmers!), They think C is the grade they're getting in 3rd period, they're oblivious to any other language, they're total nerds, they won't stop asking me for help, they HAVE ISSUES!! (but then again, so do I!)......AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! *Head Explodes*

Troll_King
10-18-2001, 09:59 PM
VB.NET is a lot different than VB6. It looks a lot like C/C++ and is now object oriented.

-KEN-
10-18-2001, 10:02 PM
Meanwhile No it doesn't look more like C/C++ and it's always been fairly object-oriented (the entire purpose of the language; you'd think it could carry it out, eh?)

Troll_King
10-18-2001, 10:04 PM
VB6 doesn't have inheritance also VB.NET does look a lot more like C/C++ regarding its brand new syntax.

-KEN-
10-18-2001, 10:05 PM
No it doesn't look more like C/C++ syntax, damnit! although I'll give you the inheritance thing.

Troll_King
10-18-2001, 10:08 PM
Yes it does. I have seen VB.NET code samples.

-KEN-
10-18-2001, 10:09 PM
damnit don't lie, troll_boy. So've I. Still looks crap-erific.

mfc2themax
10-18-2001, 10:14 PM
While i hate MS, VB is a good thing. Its fast to develop with and you can do pretty powerful stuff in it. I ended up writing all my COM+ objects in it for my last project, before i went to work rational software. (not a programming job)

Troll_King
10-18-2001, 10:29 PM
I'm also forced to take VB in College. I would rather take VB.NET but they are still teaching VB6. I'm trying to avoid this course but I'll have to take it eventually. I've heard that COM and COM+ are being replaced by .NET components yet there is a way to port COM/COM+ projects.

Stoned_Coder
10-19-2001, 06:39 AM
asm or Delphi

-KEN-
10-19-2001, 08:30 AM
I loooovvveee ASM. It's not as hard to learn as some people think, and you can do fairly interesting things with it.

Fordy
10-19-2001, 08:34 AM
>>I loooovvveee ASM

I would love to have some knowledge of ASM......One day......

oskilian
10-19-2001, 09:14 AM
Learn ASM, you could make fast apps if ur good

Oskilian

Fordy
10-19-2001, 09:18 AM
I'm just looking at what people like hillbillie's doing and I find it really interesting. I know next to nothing about ground level OS workings or design........and ASM would help........one day I will put some work into it

cozman
10-19-2001, 09:27 AM
I don't like the Microsoft Visual *'s and I don't feel like buying something just to learn a hobby language.

I'm narrowing it down now, i'm either going to learn:

C# (but come to think of it this requires a MSV*, right?)

8086-asm (may take more time than i initially wanted to spend but it's more useful than the other choices)

or Delphi, it would put the Pascal I had to learn for Computer Science to some good use i guess.

Suggestions on best place to learn these/compiler for them?

-KEN-
10-19-2001, 09:43 AM
C# could be cool to learn as a net language. I have an account and the host has a .NET structure there so I can use it...the only problem is that it has an OLD build of asp.net which is missing some things...

rick barclay
10-19-2001, 10:02 AM
Learn whatever you can. They all have their uses. VB get a lot
of criticism here, but I'll tell you what: I wouldn't be surprised if
more people used VB than any other language. I think that's the
case. IF you like the Web, then it's Java, Jscript, PHP, Perl, Python.

rick barclay

-KEN-
10-19-2001, 10:32 AM
>>IF you like the Web, then it's Java, Jscript, PHP, Perl, Python.

AND VBScript, ASP, C#, <other .NET langs>, XML, XHTML, HTML, blahblahblah....

basilisk
10-19-2001, 10:56 AM
i've spent the last couple of weeks trying to learn ASP and VBScript so that i can integrate a web page form with Exchange server and then manipulate the email that comes into the server.

I have managed to write the web form have got it to create a session to the exchange server and mail my public folder however i am now getting mapi errors when the exchange server event scripting agent kicks in and tries to manipulate that email using vbscript - aaarrrghhh - this though is one very good use of VB as doing this in VC++ would be a major headache

Garfield
10-19-2001, 01:27 PM
"Why learn another language it you have the power of" C.

> (sorry but i hate VB so much, it managed to drain so much of the fun out of programming for me) <
Me too. It didn't drain the fun out, but it was definitely a bad experience. But, maybe that was a good way to start (and only start). I don't know.

Aran
10-19-2001, 06:31 PM
Who needs another language when you have C++?

if MS sticks with C#, i will learn it for sure. i think i may go into some CGI too... maybe that way i can write my own bb..

Garfield
10-19-2001, 09:12 PM
Don't CGI and Perl work together. Don't know too much about either of them.

Fordy
10-20-2001, 01:12 AM
CGI isnt a specific language.....Pearl is

For CGI you can use Pearl, Python, Java, C or whatever

Garfield
10-20-2001, 07:51 AM
I read a brief, really brief, description of CGI and I got the impression that it just allows you to put programs up on the web to be run, on the web. Is this right?

Fordy
10-20-2001, 08:19 AM
>> got the impression that it just allows you to put programs up on the web to be run

Its a serverside deployment of your program. The CGI proggie processes requests made by you and gives resonse.

IE....

You fill in a form to order a book at amazon.....

It validates you (with whatever process it uses), takes your order, and queries it against its stock DB. Records your book order, personal details, IP, date...blahdy blahdy blah as an order to process, instructs shipping to send the book, validates your payment and spits back a nice "Order Accepted" page. (And a load of other crap like records the type of order and makes sure you are offered something similar the next time you are at the homepage and then puts you on the junk mail list).

Whatever you want to use for your CGI program (be it C, Java, Pearl...etc) depends on you and your server.

Govtcheez
10-20-2001, 08:48 AM
Go for ASM, cozman - I'm learning it now (although for a 68HC11 instead of x86)... It's kinda cool to know exactly what's gonna happen (instead of wondering what it's gonna compile to)

oskilian
10-20-2001, 09:15 AM
I like Visual Basic, you can make database apps very quickly, even without writing a single line of code...

Oskilian

Garfield
10-20-2001, 04:46 PM
> I like Visual Basic, you can make database apps very quickly, even without writing a single line of code...

Yes, VB is the shortcut way to do everything (well, most everything). Side effects are extreme. It's not worth it.

> Go for ASM,

ASM definitely interests me. I'm not at that point, though. I'm trying to master C. I LOVE C.

--Garfield