PDA

View Full Version : Some people just shouldnt be programmers....

RoD
02-12-2003, 03:09 PM
You've met him. He's the guy or girl (speaking of where is prelude??) who took CS to fill a spot or credit in they're school career. Welp, heres a nice one for ya!

Me: "Try typing in using namespace std"

him: "Where?"

Me: "above main, right under the includes"

Him: "I didn't include anything..."

Me: ::points out iostream and such::

Him: "o those things...what am i typing again?"

Me: "using namespace std"

Him: ::types::

::ERROR::

Me: "Not your name....namespace"

him: "o.....why am i giving it an std?"

Me: "Miss......u help him."

God i don't get why some people even try....

dP munky
02-12-2003, 03:14 PM
LMFAO, oh my god there arent enought smiley faces to tell you how hard im laughing right now, why even take the class?? and if you are going to take a class you have no interest in, AT LEAST....AT LEAST attempt to learn the basics

.......that made my day!!! :)

RoD
02-12-2003, 03:16 PM
heres the scary part, if i wasn't in there.....hed be the smartest one....when we began to learn classes he asked if the compiler knew about us....she was like wtf.....he figured...u know, were a class.....::bangs head::

abrege
02-12-2003, 03:26 PM
I dunno, sounds like you have a horrible teacher :rolleyes:

RoD
02-12-2003, 03:28 PM
the teacher is OK, she knows what she knows, but shes working with idiots...jocks...and preps.

cells
02-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Mr. Rod I see u have earned bragging rights. How might I become as skilled as you? I mean I have a simple program I can't get together

printf(" enter hours, -1 to end);
scanf("%d",&hours);
printf("Enter rate of pay");
scanf("%d",&rate);
grossPay=(float)hours*rate;
printf("grossPay is %.2f", grossPay);
return0;

Once enter hours then rate, my program keeps giving me 0.00
what to do? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

RoD
02-12-2003, 03:54 PM
>>How might I become as skilled as you?

I'm scared guys.....help me.....

Silvercord
02-12-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm kind of offended by this whole thing. I think I'm pretty good at programming, not the best but definitely good enough (I'm satisfied with my progress), but when I was just starting I would've been like the dumbass in RoD's first post. If someone had just said to me 'Oh some people are just dumbasses, why do they even bother' I probably would've had a very difficult time learning anything new ('oh man that guy who knows more than me implied I'm a dumbass and I'll never be able to learn programming, he obviously knows what he's talking about because he knows more programming than me, so maybe he's right. Maybe I should quit).

RoD
02-12-2003, 04:14 PM
which is why i would never say that to him, but when u deal with questions like that for an hour a day everyday, it adds up on ya.

Silvercord
02-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Well, that's fair I guess, but I really hope you don't take it out on someone who's just beginning. Even if they're not as adept at programming as you may be, i.e they may be programming as long as you but just dont get it, I hope you don't ever take out your frustration on them.

RoD
02-12-2003, 04:20 PM
no never, in fact i've given him my cell phone # before so that he can call when he is working on the homework/random c++ stuff. Hes honestly trying, and thats good enough for me to want to help him. Hes called several times, and i am always glad to help, but when he frustrates me in class, i let the teacher do her job :P

Silvercord
02-12-2003, 04:24 PM
I heard of this nifty site where you post questions related to programming. I honestly cannot remember the name of it, but I know it was for C++ programming. You should search for it on google and refer him to go ask questions there ;)

RoD
02-12-2003, 04:26 PM
i would never unleash him upon the site...(jk)

He has no net for some reason. He didn't even have VC++ 6.0 std till i gave him a (legal) copy.

alpha
02-12-2003, 04:29 PM
I agree. I am willing to help people, but when people keep asking questions about stuff they should know, and I can't get any work done, I do sometimes get frustrated. I don't take it out on anyone, but I do tell them to ask the teacher because I need to go over and do my work, otherwise I won't get anything done.

There are people in my class that are trying to be good at it and learn it, but then there are other people that don't.

There are people, after a year of programming, that still don't know how to call a function, which isn't good, especially since we are working on the case study, and it has a lot of classes, and fxns that are called.

All in all, I am willing to help people if they put the effort in. But there are only so many hours in the day, that I need to get some work done as well.

Waldo2k2
02-12-2003, 05:03 PM
in this day and age, pc's are not as easy to use as they used to be. In dos (or unix for some), there was a few things you could do and that was it, and it was very straight forward. Now, there are all sorts of things you have to do and learn to deal with. Back then you could just learn to program and that'd be that, it wouldn't be hard to use teh pc at least to just compile...nowadays you need a solid background in pc's (mostly the OS part ie:windows) to program. I think he needs to get a grip on that first, though i do give him credit for trying, he just has his priorities screwed up. Anyone who knows crap about a pc knows that a program is not self aware let alone aware of 'classes' lmao.

RoD
02-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Well he made it past the cisco(spelling?) course/test, and i also pushed him to get his cert in MCSE, so hes not a total dumbass, he just has a hard time grasping it. Its also his first language, ever.

-KEN-
02-12-2003, 07:37 PM
I thoroughly enjoy abusing the mentally less fortunate in my AP class. Hey, I've earned it.

Expecially this kid who's all book-smart (and not even a SMART book-smart!), and will not stop arguing every single point...example of one of the stupidest things he's said (and this was just TODAY):

"Well you can't say goto is all bad. I mean, it has to be important since it's a C++ keyword. It's more important than cout or else they would have made cout a keyword and it would be blue when you type it in, too"

Right about then I searched for a gun to shoot him with. I ended up doing the next best thing, which was stealing his mouse ball and unhooking his keyboard.

RoD
02-12-2003, 07:39 PM
o come on ken, even void main is better than cout!

haha

[/sarcasm]

alpha
02-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
I ended up doing the next best thing, which was stealing his mouse ball and unhooking his keyboard.

I would love to see that.

I have yet to use goto (ways around it) but I use cout all the time.

EvBladeRunnervE
02-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Im a relative newb to C programming, as I had taken some, then slacked off and forgot it all until like 2 weeks ago, and I have been pushin the books, trying to read as much as I can. I think I am doing fairly well.....just need people to talk to about it, as my whole family and social group are PC retards.

Mister C
02-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Agree here as a teacher- some people are not cut out to be programmers. I see it every semester at college.

vasanth
02-12-2003, 11:49 PM
I have a guy in class who used to says he is an expert in VB.. Then this year we had the dumb VB classes... The guy comes over and says

he:- Vasanth can you please help me do this calculator program
me:- What happened you are supposed to be a master in VB
he:- well i have finished 90% of everything only a little is left..

i go over and see the form is designed well.. then guess what i dont see any code... He wanted me to do the coding part and according to him designing is 90% of the work.... And he still thinks he can get a very good job with the crap language VB and that too with his knowledge of draging and placing objects on the form... Believe me he asked me how to use if statements this year... when doinf advanced topics such as data structures.( B tree, hashing etc)...

Scourfish
02-13-2003, 04:31 AM
Best program ever!

int main()
{
int loloftuasfe;
goto a;
a: goto b;
b: goto c;
c: goto d;
d: goto e;
e: goto f;
f: goto g;
g: goto h:
h: loloftuasfe=0;
return 0;
}

Travis Dane
02-13-2003, 09:41 AM
So we end up talking about people that think they want to
program just because they like the result (games). Yeah, I'm
getting sick of those peeps too:mad: .

RoD
02-13-2003, 01:17 PM
My fav part of programming is the challenges. Its no fun to write a program and have it load in one shot!

Travis Dane
02-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RoD
Its no fun to write a program and have it load in one shot!

I don't know about you but i can't even get 'hello world' to
load in one shot:p

RoD
02-13-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
I don't know about you but i can't even get 'hello world' to
load in one shot:p

thats scary man :P

Travis Dane
02-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by RoD
thats scary man :P

It was ment retorical, Only a very simple program can load
in one shot, So you made a serious overstatement.

RoD
02-13-2003, 02:10 PM
i realize it was, my reply was just joking sarcasim, i wasn't calling u incompetent or anything.

Travis Dane
02-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by RoD
i wasn't calling u incompetent or anything.

WHAT THE ####? You calling me incompetent? HUH? do you?
DO YOU???????

:p :p :p

Silvercord
02-13-2003, 02:31 PM
cout is just an instance of the ostream class right?
Is this what the prototype looks like?
ostream & ostream::operator<<(char*);

You should explain that to the person trying to compare goto and cout, because you cannot really compare the two. Goto isn't all bad, I mean, John Carmack used it :)

Travis Dane
02-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Silvercord
Goto isn't all bad, I mean, John Carmack used it :)

Hmmmm,hmmmm!! hmmm? HMMM!!!! hmmm......
Sorry, i can't get the lame example out of my mouth, i had
something to do with following other people....

-KEN-
02-13-2003, 02:38 PM
cout is just an instance of the ostream class right?
Is this what the prototype looks like?
ostream & ostream::operator<<(char*);

You should explain that to the person trying to compare goto and cout, because you cannot really compare the two. Goto isn't all bad, I mean, John Carmack used it :)

Why would I waste my breath explaining that to him...? I had more fun unhooking his stuff.

Cheeze-It
02-13-2003, 02:38 PM
So we end up talking about people that think they want to
program just because they like the result (games). Yeah, I'm
getting sick of those peeps too:mad: .

That's the only reason why I want to program... So what? :eek:

Travis Dane
02-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ethic
That's the only reason why I want to program... So what? :eek:

Ok, Fine, But if the end result (a game) is your ONLY motivation,
then you shouldn't be programming. You really need to like
programming itself.

Silvercord
02-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Why would I waste my breath explaining that to him...? I had more fun unhooking his stuff.

lol, I know how you feel. Idea for ya Ken, plug your own mouse into his computer, (if you can, I don't know what setup you guys have) and when he moves his mouse (he thinks its connected to his computer still) then you move your mouse sporadically. I do stuff like that all the time.

-KEN-
02-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Ewww, you think I sit near him?! His annoyingness could rub off on me.

alpha
02-13-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
Ewww, you think I sit near him?! His annoyingness could rub off on me.

haha...lol...

lol, I know how you feel. Idea for ya Ken, plug your own mouse into his computer, (if you can, I don't know what setup you guys have) and when he moves his mouse (he thinks its connected to his computer still) then you move your mouse sporadically. I do stuff like that all the time.

My teacher wouldn't like that. Kids would be like, he's playing with my mouse. She likes me, and I am one of the better programmers in the class, so she wouldn't get mad at me, she would just tell me not to.

vasanth
02-14-2003, 07:38 AM
I play prank witrh Remote administrator a program where you can controll the remote desktop.. Only the admin is supposed to use it.. but i have admin rights since i am the one fixin stuffs there...:D:D

Travis Dane
02-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by vasanth
I play prank witrh Remote administrator a program where you can controll the remote desktop.. Only the admin is supposed to use it.. but i have admin rights since i am the one fixin stuffs there...:D:D

Hm, As far as i can remember you can just see Remote Admin
in the task manager? Must be some serious dummy's you prank
with.

vasanth
02-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Hm, As far as i can remember you can just see Remote Admin
in the task manager? Must be some serious dummy's you prank
with.

Well there is a setting where you can hide the task bar icon.. THis option is available in the radmin option setup... :D:D and no one is supposed to stop it since the admin has put it..

ammar
02-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by dP munky
LMFAO, oh my god there arent enought smiley faces to tell you how hard im laughing right now

The smiling monkey face in your avatar should do the job:D

I also sow many people who should not become programmers, I study computer sciences and I really don't know how many of the student here chose to study computer sciences, I'm now taking a CS215, which is called Data Structures( we study lists, stacks, etc ... ) there are 11 students in my class 8 of which they failed that course last semester... And I think that they are going to fail this semester also.
so you shouldn't feel so bad when you see people like this in school, because I see them in the university, and they are studying CS.

frenchfry164
02-14-2003, 06:18 PM
that's why I taught myself off the internet. The only person I can get mad at is myself. But I learned VERY quickly.

RoD
02-15-2003, 10:58 AM
I have CS2, which i'm ahead in, and then i have u guys, who needs more than that!

napkin111
02-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Goto isn't all bad, I mean, John Carmack used it :)

Carmack used it?? GOTO R00LZ!

//napKIN

Travis Dane
02-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by napkin111
Carmack used it?? GOTO R00LZ!

Hmmmm,hmmmm!! hmmm? HMMM!!!! hmmm......
Sorry, i can't get the lame example out of my mouth, i had
something to do with following other people....

Cheeze-It
02-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Ok, Fine, But if the end result (a game) is your ONLY motivation,
then you shouldn't be programming. You really need to like
programming itself.

Nope, sorry. The completed game is my only motivation. I don't
care about anything else -- and I'm still programming (sometimes).
Personally, I don't like the actual act of programming. It's boring,
and leads to a lot of frustration. I swear, there have been bugs
that have almost caused me to cry. :(

Oh, and let's not forget how bad your eyes start to hurt after
staring at a monitor for 3+ hours (with all the lights in the room
turned off). And your back -- my habbit of slouching in my chairs
has molded me into a Quasimoto-esque shape. I'm hideous, and
I blame it on the computer.... :eek:

But if it means that, in the end, I'd have created my own game,
my own characters, my own little ethic-like world -- I'll suffer
through it.