PDA

View Full Version : What's cooler than free boobs? 5 free assembly books from AMD.

Silvercord
02-11-2003, 06:11 PM
http://sausmaps.amd.com/AMDeMA/www/x8664programmers_manual_order_rev_2.jsp

dP munky
02-11-2003, 06:19 PM
whats w/that? all that knowledge for FREE!!! HAHAHAHA ::evil grin::

im assuming this is a promo thing?

Travis Dane
02-11-2003, 06:22 PM
aaah, Assembly....*drool*....*slowly slipping away*...WOW! Stay
real, Assembly is futile.

Waldo2k2
02-11-2003, 06:42 PM
is that offer for real?
I'm definetly going to do it....it's about time i wrote my own operating system :).

ZerOrDie
02-11-2003, 08:07 PM
well i have spoken to some people who received the books :) looks good :) no strings attached

aparently intel runs a similar promotion from time to time and just to avoid confusion these are not books to teach you asm but reference manuals(once again according to people who have the books)

Commander
02-11-2003, 09:02 PM
how much for the shipping?

i ordered a free cds, but had to pay like 10 $ for the s/h

or is it TRULLY free?

Hillbillie
02-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Intel's been doing the same thing for a few years now. So if AMD is doing it like Intel, then it's completely free...that means the shipping too.

And they're pretty good manuals, not cheap ones like you'd expect.

Eibro
02-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Is intel currently doing anything like this?

cozman
02-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Before anybody orders any of these please heed my advice, I dont want people disappointed in the books and I dont want valuable resources wasted because of these misunderstandings.
Unless you know x86 ASM and have a real interest/need for reference do not order the books. First of all the AMD books are on advanced stuff about the x86-64, and although the intel books are on the arch. that most of us are running on they are still advanced reference manuals that non-asm people will never use.
These are tech manuals which are generally free, because only a small number of developers need them due to their subject, if everyone goes spreading the word on this as something that will teach ASM the people who really need them may end up having to pay in the future due to tons of people ordering things that they simply have no need for.
By ordering these books without a strong understanding in ASM you are simply wasting trees.

dP munky
02-11-2003, 10:30 PM
>>simply have no need for.

i would think that if you see x86 reference books on the order page, youre just not going to order them unless you are a asm programmer or have an interest in it. the more you know the better off you are, learning or even grasping the concepts of asm are going to help you out in your higher level programming life

cozman
02-11-2003, 10:36 PM
I am trying to emphasize that unless you are already a strong asm programmer these books will not help you, I would not call myself strong in asm, but I can kind of read it and I have seen the content of these books and people with mediocre asm experience will be disappointed and the books with go to waste, I know some people will get these books to "learn" asm, but I wanted to emphasize to people not to do that.

Most of what is described in the books is very specialized reference that even a strong asm programmer will never need, and the small amounts that they do need shouldn't be hard to find online, these books are intended only for those which are working one on one with intel/AMD products, not for the casual developer or even professional developers which are asm hobbyists.

dP munky
02-11-2003, 10:41 PM
so you would compare it to a Stroustrup book rather than a c++ for dummies....or something like that, right?!

cozman
02-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Yeah, they are like Stroustrup for ASM [on steroids :)]

dP munky
02-11-2003, 10:53 PM
i get your point, his books are extremly hard to learn from, not impossible, but VERY time consuming, you spend as much time on the net looking things up as you do w/your face in the book. but then again, c++ for dummies just doesnt do the trick...but thanks for the warning

Panopticon
02-11-2003, 11:07 PM
I rather have free boobs.

RoD
02-12-2003, 05:33 AM
Yea where the hell are the boobs!

Travis Dane
02-12-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by RoD
Yea where the hell are the boobs!

Yeah, Silvercord! Should at least included a link to boobs to
decide!

Hammer
02-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Another thread going down the pan... please don't make me to edit/close/delete it :(

damonbrinkley
02-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Awesome!!! I just ordered the Intel printed manuals a few days ago and will definitely order these. Thanks alot.....

Yawgmoth
02-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Were the Intel manuals free too?

Govtcheez
02-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Yawgmoth
Were the Intel manuals free too? Yup. Totally free.

RoD
02-12-2003, 01:30 PM
>>Awesome!!! I just ordered the Intel printed manuals a few days ago and will definitely order these. Thanks alot.....

Got a link?

Govtcheez
02-12-2003, 01:34 PM
http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/manuals/index.htm

RoD
02-12-2003, 01:37 PM
thnx, order these too : )

dP munky
02-12-2003, 01:50 PM
SWEEEEET! both sets of books, what a better reference for asm

RoD
02-12-2003, 01:53 PM
i don't know ne asm, i jus want em cuz my friends don't have them.

ober
02-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by RoD

wow... cool. That'll gain you bragging rights for a whole 2 minutes... and then what... you're wasting materials. Dick.

dP munky
02-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ober5861
... you're wasting materials. Dick.

was that last part really necisarry?
BOOBIES (http://www.loser.com/pervert)

cozman
02-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by RoD

Exactly what I was trying to prevent.

Silvercord
02-12-2003, 02:39 PM
yeah intel does the same
http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/manuals/index2.htm
yes the deal's for real I got my assembly books. I don't know a lot about this, but I guess the x86-64 is the 64bit instruction set for amd's processors, so if you've got an x86 processor (which I'm assuming most of us here do) then the instruction sets aren't exactly the same, but the books are free. The amd ones also include 128bit media instruction set.

free boobs? uhh...

/*Mod edit: use your extensive imaginations a little bit harder*/

use your extensive imaginations

EDIT:
I didn't realize govt already posted a link to the intel assembly books

wow... cool. That'll gain you bragging rights for a whole 2 minutes... and then what... you're wasting materials. Dick.

Yeah but assembly is just a teenie weenie bit harder than C/C++, so I don't think you'll be able to fake knowing what you're talking about as easily, and just having the books just to have them doesn't make you cool, it makes you a poser...I'm actually trying to learn this stuff. Even though the instruction set from the book is different from my processor (x86, I think) it's still good reading just to get an idea of assembly, and a lot of the conversions are simple naming differences (i.e the differences between register names between 16, 32, and 64bit is a simple prefix change).

minesweeper
02-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Why don't people just download the pdf's? I'm sure most people have access to a high speed connection if they don't have one at home.

dP munky
02-12-2003, 02:49 PM
im assuming that the pdf files are REALLY big, and are about 2000 pages a piece. a hardcover is more convienient but they shouldnt go to waste

minesweeper
02-12-2003, 02:55 PM
The pdfs are about 20 megs in a total. Haven't opened them yet so I don't know how many pages there are. But if someone is honestly prepared to let thousands of pieces of paper just go to waste collecting dust in their closet then they should be ashamed of themself. Imagine if the entire 6 billion population of the world did that :rolleyes:

damonbrinkley
02-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by minesweeper
Why don't people just download the pdf's? I'm sure most people have access to a high speed connection if they don't have one at home.

It's hard to read pdfs on the throne (where most of my good reading gets done) :)

Silvercord
02-12-2003, 04:27 PM
It's hard to read pdfs on the throne (where most of my good reading gets done)

I cannot make a reply to that because I'm laughing too hard

6 mins reading on throne = 2 hours reading time in the park

-KEN-
02-12-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm with cozman on this one...please don't order them unless you're heavy into ASM programming. They're not references to the language, they're all about the architecture and the interaction between some of your assembly code with the architecture, etc. They're extremely advanced. I had to reference parts of the intel one (I just grabbed the PDF and scanned it for what I needed) when I was writing parts of my OS, and judging from what I've seen from half of the kids on this board you wouldn't understand a lick of it.

It's NOT, repeat NOT like a programming book. It doesn't read like...

"The MOV instruction [...], an example would be
Code:
MOV AX, BX"

etc, etc.

Do NOT waste Intel and AMD's resources unless you have a genuine, pressing need for these things.

Jeremy G
02-12-2003, 08:30 PM
I ordered them. The actual physical books with cd. And i'm not going to take slack about it, even though I DON'T know assembly.

-KEN-
02-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by dbgt goten
I ordered them. The actual physical books with cd. And i'm not going to take slack about it, even though I DON'T know assembly.

>>And i'm not going to take slack about it

Yes you are...

Might I inquire to why you decided to make such an obviously greedy decision?

damonbrinkley
02-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Silvercord

6 mins reading on throne = 2 hours reading time in the park

True....Very True :)

Eibro
02-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Jesus
Do you leave the water running while you brush your teeth? Do you leave your computer on over night? Eat more than 3 meals per day? Do you drive a motor-vehicle to work? Ever throw recyclables into the garbage? Take more than 1 shower per day?

You're all horrible monsters. You're ruining the earth. I doubt getting a few free books from a multi-million dollar company is going to have any impact at all. Before you criticize others on how wasteful they are... try analyzing your own daily routine.

What can I say? I think they'll look pretty on my shelf next to all my other computer books. If worse comes to worse (I have no use for the books) i'll give them to the library or something. No, I don't think it's right to go ordering these books if you have no intention of using them.

Jeremy G
02-13-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by -KEN-
>>And i'm not going to take slack about it

Yes you are...

Might I inquire to why you decided to make such an obviously greedy decision?

You can give all the slack you want, but I wont take it.

I value knowledge. Especially technical knowledge. I'm also going to be taking assembly for my csc degree. And while I probably wont learn enough in that class to put the books to full use, its nice to see what you can do with assembly. I also have quite a few books, manuals, reference/resource books that are getting lonely. If these reasons arn't good enough for you, then you can kiss my fat as$ when i bend over to pick up the books off my door step. I can't wait till they get here.

RobR
02-13-2003, 08:18 AM
C'mon guys, it's not like paper grows on trees you know..... Oh wait...

Yawgmoth
02-13-2003, 11:04 AM
Guys, even if u don't know asm, and want the books, download the PDF or order the CD. You'll save the planet AND get the knowledge in the books.

(BTW, if you want to read on the throne, print a few pages, or get a laptop.)

Shiro
02-13-2003, 11:57 AM
I don't mind people getting those books, but I agree with cozman and Ken, those books are really hard to read. Those books are references and, like most technical references, not books suitable for learning assembly or even modern microprocessor technology. In fact, they assume you already know assembly very well, know a lot about microprocessor technology and computer architecture in general.

Probably more suitable books for learning:

The Pentium Microprocessor
James L. Antonakos
Prentice Hall
ISBN: 0023036141

Digital and Microprocessor Fundamentals
William Kleitz
Prentice Hall
ISBN: 0130833428

Cheeze-It
02-13-2003, 12:01 PM
"These books aren't for people like you, and only I am entitled to
them. All hail me, for I am the king of the universe!!! Blah, blah
blah."

dP munky
02-13-2003, 07:48 PM
http://crazy.codetroop.com/randimg/?realboobs.jpg

RoD
02-13-2003, 07:50 PM
lmfao!

-KEN-
02-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by ethic
"These books aren't for people like you, and only I am entitled to
them. All hail me, for I am the king of the universe!!! Blah, blah
blah."

Exactly.

>>You can give all the slack you want, but I wont take it.

Just in replying to the post you have...so :p