PDA

View Full Version : Homemade hair bleaching solution

deltabird
02-09-2003, 02:43 PM
For my swim team, we always bleach our hair at the end of the season. It stays bleached for about 5 days, then on the sixth day we give ourselves freaky looking hair cuts like mohawks (spelling?) and other crazy things, which is for 1 school day. Then that night we shave our heads.

Anyhow, I don't want to spend money at walmart to buy one of those bleaching kits. I've searched extensively on google for homemade hair bleach solution instructions, but came up with nothing.

I'm thinking of just taking some hydrogen peroxide and putting it straight into my hair.

Does anyone know of good ways to bleach your hair using a homemade solution? It doesn't have to look stylish or anything like that, it's only for 5 days. I just don't want to mess my scalp up or anything by putting bad chemicals in my hair....

thanks

Travis Dane
02-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Hair bleaching? Never heard of it...

deltabird
02-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Are you serious?!

It's when you use "bleach" to take all of the color out of your hair, giving a blond/white look

adrianxw
02-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Consider...

>>>
I just don't want to mess my scalp up or anything by putting bad chemicals in my hair....
<<<

... and ...

>>>
I'm thinking of just taking some hydrogen peroxide and putting it straight into my hair.
<<<

... anyone else see a small logic flaw here?

Travis Dane
02-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by deltabird
Are you serious?!

It's when you use "bleach" to take all of the color out of your hair, giving a blond/white look

What? Remove your hairs color?!?! You're nuts!

deltabird
02-09-2003, 04:28 PM
well it says H202 on the bottle, so its only 1 oxygen atom per molecule away from water :)

Anyways, I called some hair salons. Some say pretty much that I'm crazy to do that, some say it is common and will work.

It's weird I can get such different responses -- these were from "Sally Beauty Supply" store at different locations.

XSquared
02-09-2003, 04:31 PM
>>well it says H202 on the bottle, so its only 1 oxygen atom per molecule away from water

And nitrous oxide is only one oxygen atom per molecule away from nitrogen gas. Your point?

>>Anyways, I called some hair salons. Some say pretty much that I'm crazy to do that, some say it is common and will work.

I've never bleached my hair, but if you went with Hydrogen Peroxide, you'd probably want to dilute it a bit first.

alpha
02-09-2003, 04:44 PM
hydrogen peroxide is too strong in my opinion, you could potentially ruin your hair. just go out and buy the solution.

minesweeper
02-09-2003, 04:44 PM
A mate of mine has done it a few times. But then again, his old dear is a hairdresser. As long as you don't leave the stuff on your barnet too long, you should be fine.

civix
02-09-2003, 06:12 PM
I've just always had my grandma do it... FREELY!

golfinguy4
02-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by deltabird
well it says H202 on the bottle, so its only 1 oxygen atom per molecule away from water :)

Well, carbon monoxide is one atom per molecule away from CO2.

Panopticon
02-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Why do you need to bleach ur hair for swimming? Is there a sign that says "Only blondes allowed in the pool" ?

And as for your H2O2, its one oxygen away fro H2O, true, but that extra oxygen makes a huge difference in chemistry. e.g. H2O2 is highly explosive.

YoYo
02-09-2003, 10:21 PM
>Does anyone know of good ways to bleach your hair using a >homemade solution? It doesn't have to look stylish or anything >like that, it's only for 5 days. I just don't want to mess my scalp >up or anything by putting bad chemicals in my hair....

You can make homemade solution from this remedy:
1 kg chicken shiet + 1bottle of lemon juice = homemade bleach

RoD
02-10-2003, 05:04 AM
lemon juice in water---spray head---sit in sun = lighter hair

2 cups water----2 capfuls peroxide---in hair 60 seconds and rinse = bleached hair

Keep in mind it comes in a box and costs money for a reason, just because it works it will still "burn" your hair.

Clyde
02-10-2003, 10:16 AM
I really don't think sticking hydrogen peroxide on your head is a good idea; Its incredably reactive stuff and without knowing what concentration you are supposed to use you could really damage yourself.

Just buy one of the kits they aren't that expensive.

If you do use the peroxide be damn carefull to keep it out of your eyes.

XR3D403
02-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Pay a bump to experiment on him.

GanglyLamb
02-10-2003, 10:25 AM
id say : sneak into the school lab and steal some of that H2O2
but look on the etiquet so u have a low concentration....

vasanth
02-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Here you get good quality hair colors from many top brands for cheap say Rs 250 that is around 5 $.. You get shades such as yellow, brown, black, purple , green, sun gold etc...

hk_mp5kpdw
02-10-2003, 11:21 AM
And as for your H2O2, its one oxygen away fro H2O, true, but that extra oxygen makes a huge difference in chemistry. e.g. H2O2 is highly explosive.

That's right... the Germans experimented with Hydrogen Peroxide as a propellant for rocket engines during World War 2. It will spontaneously ignite when it comes in contact with Sodium Permanganate or Calcium Permanganate. They used the stuff to fuel their Me 163 rocket planes. Check this out (http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/SSC/H2O2CONF/PStokes.htm), and go to the Aircraft Propulsion section. In high enough concentrations this stuff could probably eat through your flesh. The guys responsible with refuling the fighters had to wear thick gloves/suits and make sure they didn't mix the fuels that went into the two fuel tanks.

RoD
02-10-2003, 02:11 PM
>>I really don't think sticking hydrogen peroxide on your head is a good idea; Its incredably reactive stuff and without knowing what concentration you are supposed to use you could really damage yourself.

Dude i just told him what concentration to use. If you research this on the internet theres tons of tables listing amounts per water that go along with what i said. I gave the one thats most commonly used.

Clyde
02-10-2003, 03:04 PM
"Dude i just told him what concentration to use"

Fair enough, i must have missed your reply when i posted.

deltabird
02-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Well, I tried it. We just put the "3%" hydrogen peroxide (stuff in the brown bottle) into a spray container. Every once in awhile we sprayed some on, massaged it in. Then later we made a paste by mixing it with baking soda, then it wouldn't drip out. Anyhow, it didn't bleach it as much as it gets bleached when you use store-bought stuff, but it took some color out of my hair.

I'm already blond, with a little red. When I bleach it from the store-bought stuff it'll get more white. Well ok then, thanks for the replies.

Panopticon
02-10-2003, 10:34 PM
The lengths people go to to save a few bucks....