PDA

View Full Version : help cure smallpox

xds4lx
02-06-2003, 12:46 PM
http://www.grid.org/ , before on here we were trying to get a seti@home team going but that seems to have ended a while ago. Anyways this is a much better cause, bc its doing something usefull for man, ending the thread of smallpox once and for all. Even though the world health organization got rid of smallpox by 1977 many countries stilll have bilogical weapons grade smallpox stores. The project hasnt been running long, but its already got a lot of support, so i suggest anyone here with a decent computer go and download it.

Travis Dane
02-06-2003, 01:02 PM
So you want a go on it again, But this time with a different (and
good) Cause? Sounds good to me.

xds4lx
02-06-2003, 09:10 PM
come on you guys, this is a great chance to be part of helping cure people. Kermi or one of the moderators please help encourage people.

kermi3
02-06-2003, 09:17 PM
I encourage everyone to join there. And when you do, make sure you sign up for the Cprogramming.com Team (http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=6528753C-02A0-4925-8C77-E94C9A2A99E5).

This is a great cause, and it really doesn't effect your computer's performance if you don't want it to. It will onle work when you are idle!

xds4lx
02-06-2003, 09:23 PM
Sweet! Its about time u got some time to decide on which one of the distributed computing programs to make a cprogramming team for. Id join the team but....seing as i just started a team for my development group (were starting an unreal 2003 mod) i cant just leave it.

Eibro
02-06-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm in; downloaded and installed. I suppose my CPU cycles could be of better use with this than factoring mersenne primes.

adrianxw
02-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Anyone else here a little concerned by this...

>>>
Who gets the results?
The United States Department of Defense (USAMRIID). Only US government supported research sites could test the drug as research restrictions control work on the vaccinia virus.
<<<

... from their FAQ ...

http://www.grid.org/projects/smallpox/faq.htm

... we should trust the US defence department to do what is best for the citizens of the world at large?

Two questions further down...

>>>
Could it be used to develop weapons?
No, it would stop the biochemistry of the virus from working.
<<<

... surely any country in possession of the vaccine would hold a very strong hand if it also had possession of the virus.

I would say, if you're going to run the United Devices client, do the cancer drug search project.

kermi3
02-07-2003, 06:44 AM
And you can actually set yours up for things other than small pox....I have mine set for cancer research.

xds4lx
02-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw
Anyone else here a little concerned by this...

>>>
Who gets the results?
The United States Department of Defense (USAMRIID). Only US government supported research sites could test the drug as research restrictions control work on the vaccinia virus.
<<<

... from their FAQ ...

http://www.grid.org/projects/smallpox/faq.htm

... we should trust the US defence department to do what is best for the citizens of the world at large?

Two questions further down...

>>>
Could it be used to develop weapons?
No, it would stop the biochemistry of the virus from working.
<<<

... surely any country in possession of the vaccine would hold a very strong hand if it also had possession of the virus.

Surely if you read the whole ###. plus the all the other stuff about the project you would off seen that it says that the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases is in charge of the results but they will be shared with allied countries such as canada, brittan,.....

The resulting data ("Results Data"), produced as a result of the Project will consist of a list of "hits" and their relative score. When a molecule docks successfully with a protein, it registers as a hit and is scored or ranked for strength of interaction. By binding to the particular site the drug candidate would disable the virus. The ranked list of hits will be provided to the U.S. Department of Defense, who has contracted with United Devices for this Project through the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases and potentially other allied governments (e.g., UK government, Canadian government) as directed by the US government, so that they also can take the "hits" and further process and develop them to help combat the use of smallpox as a bioterrorist threat or military weapon

adrianxw
02-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Your quote...

>>> but they will be shared with allied countries

... mine ...

>>> the citizens of the world at large?

... QED.

Even then it says...

>>> and potentially other allied governments

... potentially, potentially not.

xds4lx
02-07-2003, 12:23 PM

Even then it says...
>>> and potentially other allied governments
... potentially, potentially not.

Yeah bc they dont want the antidote to fall into the wrong hands so that people could enginere a strain that is amune to the cure.

Brian
02-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Joined the Cprogramming.com team. My computer sucks, though.

Travis Dane
02-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Joined it too, Wonder if it shows up after 0.00 AM.

Polymorphic OOP
02-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Yeah, it takes a while to show up. I'm "Rivorus" for anyone who's wondering.

Travis Dane
02-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Good, Name's show up, Now for the uptime and points...

adrianxw
02-07-2003, 02:02 PM
>>>
Yeah bc they dont want the antidote to fall into the wrong hands so that people could enginere a strain that is amune to the cure.
<<<

Hmmm, military project then. If this was a project for the good of mankind, then the vaccine should be freely available to all.

xds4lx
02-07-2003, 02:02 PM
If you read the top of the team page it says stats are only updated at 12:00am. Just wait and they will be.

Brian
02-07-2003, 02:46 PM
I'm confused. What was adrian's post about. Why has it vanished. 12:00? Eh.

adrianxw
02-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Brian:

You may have seen a message I posted but deleted shortly afterwards, (like about 30 seconds or so later!!!). I had not noticed the times of mine and xds4lx last posts were the same, therefore his comments could not have been a response to my message as it at first appeared to me.

I'm sorry, but this is something I feel very strongly about. United Devices pulled a fast one once before with their Anthrax data project for the US - they lost a lot of members then, and despite tightening up their rules, (clarifying they said), after that debacle, they have not recovered from the loss of faith they suffered. They are not "for the good of mankind" as their marketting types would have you believe, they are a commercial organisation selling a resource - your free cpu time.

-KEN-
02-07-2003, 04:05 PM
I have mine set to cancer as well...my user name on it is "kschwen"

xds4lx
02-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Brian:
I'm sorry, but this is something I feel very strongly about. United Devices pulled a fast one once before with their Anthrax data project for the US - they lost a lot of members then, and despite tightening up their rules, (clarifying they said), after that debacle, they have not recovered from the loss of faith they suffered. They are not "for the good of mankind" as their marketting types would have you believe, they are a commercial organisation selling a resource - your free cpu time.

Im just wondering what they did in the past? I used to run the project when it was in the Cancer stage I but stoped after my gf of the time (who got diagnosed w/ lukemia) dumped me.

*ClownPimp*
02-07-2003, 09:25 PM
>I used to run the project when it was in the Cancer stage I but stoped after my gf of the time (who got diagnosed w/ lukemia) dumped me

ROFLMAO

xds4lx
02-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by *ClownPimp*
[BROFLMAO [/B]

Yeah i know thats pretty funny but hey when your mad and you arent able to do anything to get back at them u do what u can :-p

adrianxw
02-08-2003, 02:49 PM
>>> Im just wondering what they did in the past?

It was a case of reading the terms and conditions really carefully. People were attracted to the project because of the "Help cure Cancer" marketting, (UD's own plus exposure on a number of news portals), and signed up, "knowing" they would be doing just that.

In actual fact, the wording in the TaC's said that the work done on the volunteers computer was actually under the control of United Devices, and when the US gov. offered them a lot of money to do the Anthrax project following the hits in the US, they rubbed their hands together and said thank you very much. Suddenly peoples machines started crunching Anthrax related proteins for the US Defence Dept. A lot of people stopped running the client, (despite this the project was very successful).

After the fuss, UD changed the wording of their TaC's to make it an "opt-in" rather than an "opt-out" of the work units being switched between projects.

ZerOrDie
02-08-2003, 11:23 PM
if you want to do something of the sort move to a legit one like distributed.net :)

Travis Dane
02-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Say, Is it going to update my CPU time or what? Or do i have
to wait till i'm done with the task for the CPU time to update?

XSquared
02-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Just d/led it, joined the CProgramming team under the name Bruxieus.

windoze victim
02-12-2003, 05:31 AM
Ill join the team as soon as my comp gets back from the shop, yes, in the shop again. =P

Travis Dane
02-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by windoze victim
yes, in the shop again. =P

You shouldn't bash it so much! Windows can't help it!

Anyway, What's the deal with me falling behind? Is everyone
here running a goddamn server 24\7?

ober
02-12-2003, 02:43 PM
ok... I'm in there... as ober...

ober
03-06-2003, 08:40 AM
soo... what's happening? Two of you all have dropped off... we need to get more people in on this... I think it's a really good cause and to think we could help with this... crazy.

ygfperson
03-06-2003, 01:36 PM
I've been there for about 2 weeks.

ober
03-06-2003, 01:49 PM
I noticed... I keep checking the stats online... I found out the other day you can install multiple instances of it under your account... so now I have 2 here at work going almost 24/7. :D And the one can utilize almost a full computer, because I don't get a ton of use out of my second computer in my office.

scott27349
03-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Why dont you programmers on this board cure cancer? wouldnt it be nice that programmers cured cancer and not the doctors?why not start a team here. then you will know where the info is going.Besides, i talked to a doctor today, i think it can be done through programming.

ober
03-07-2003, 09:03 AM
hmm... and I think you're on crack. I'd bet a hefty sum of money that none of the programmers here know the slightest bit about the disease or how to cure it.

scott27349
03-07-2003, 11:00 PM
hmmmmm, im on crack? why would they need to know much about the disease? they make the tools for the doctors to use. thats what programers have always done. they are engineers. matter of fact, doctors would be nowhere without programmers. i think( and this is just a theory) that since the cells can be seen in the blood stream, they can be shot down so to speak.i asked a doctor if you could put enough little men(so to speak) into the blood stream could they stomp out the bad cells. he said yes, it would diffinatly help, maybe stop the process.but it would take a lot of little men.then he looked at me like you are doing now and said, DO YOU HAVE LITTLE MEN?i laughed and said no.but was thinking something entirly differant than what he was thinking.ok here goes.iv seen small cameras that they put into the blood stream, it magnafies the blood and you can see the cells, right? what if they put a laser into the blood stream with the camera and every time the camera saw a bad cell, it would tell the laser to destroy it?now if you put enough lasers in each arm, leg, whatever, wouldnt that be a lot of little men?i have seen imaging software come a long way, and i believe it could kill thousands of cells a second this way.of course you would have to regulate the flow of blood , like putting the laser into a slower vein so it had time to reconize the cell, and kill it.i also asked the doctor what if the little men killed some good cells with the bad ones. he said, you would have to kill a lot of good cells to make a person sick, so thats not the problem, another words dont worry about killing good cells.if the imaging software could tell the laser to shoot when it saw a bad cell it would have to be fast.i asked a friend of mine who worked with lasers about the radiation affect, he said the radiation from the laser could be filtered down to almost nothing and still have a good strength, iv see them shoot bugs out of the air with this stuff...................... anyways, am i getting stupid, or, do i need to start crack?

Xei
03-08-2003, 01:09 AM
I'm sorry. But I don't believe that it'll help cure small pox.