PDA

View Full Version : icq

dP munky
02-02-2003, 03:48 AM
is there an irc channel for cprog? if not, would anybody else be interested in setting one up?

edit: yea i meant irc

Vber
02-02-2003, 05:21 AM
I think it will be usefull, nice idea :)
The admin's should tell us their comment about the idea..

Travis Dane
02-02-2003, 08:49 AM
An ICQ 'channel'? What's that? How about an IRC channel?
They have more possibility's.

Eibro
02-02-2003, 11:57 AM
an IRC channel was tried a couple times in the past, no one showed up.

Travis Dane
02-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Eibro
an IRC channel was tried a couple times in the past, no one showed up.

No? Why not? I know it's easier to just click on cboard in
your favoriters but.....

dP munky
02-02-2003, 01:13 PM
i just thought, especially for the general discussion it would be cool to talk to everyone in real-time

Travis Dane
02-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by dP munky
i just thought, especially for the general discussion it would be cool to talk to everyone in real-time

It would sure be alot quicker.....
But do most people know how to use ICQ? Or IRC?

minesweeper
02-02-2003, 01:32 PM
What's IRC? I know all about ICQ but IRC? :confused:

Travis Dane
02-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by minesweeper
What's IRC? I know all about ICQ but IRC? :confused:

Well, There you go!
Anyway, I din't know there was something as a chat session
on wich everyone can join with ICQ?

dP munky
02-02-2003, 01:43 PM
IRC is basically a chat room, but it has other features, on some servers of IRC you can do Peer to Peer file sharing, if you go to http://www.trillian.cc , or do a google search for irc, it'll let you download it

*ClownPimp*
02-02-2003, 02:10 PM
I think its a good idea. Search for mIRC, its by far the best IRC client out there

Panopticon
02-02-2003, 10:38 PM
I think the reason why IRC channels aren't effective for the purposes of cprog is that it requires a client, be it mIRC or otherwise.
I'd assume most people log into cprog sometime at work or school (i know i do) and it's the convenience of needing nothing but a browser that's lacking with an IRC medium.

Cela
02-02-2003, 10:43 PM
I think that IRC isn't as popular because these forums are easier and better when it comes to posting more than 1 line of code. Go to Undernet and you'll see how hard it is both to ask and answer questions adequately despite being realtime :-)

Eibro
02-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Well I suppose we can always try
Decide on a name for the channel, and a server...
May I suggest, cprogramming.com on DALnet?

face_master
02-03-2003, 12:25 AM
What about EFnet? Dalnet has been experiencing trouble with DoS attacks lately. I think it should be:

#cprogramming
on EFnet

Travis Dane
02-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Cela
I think that IRC isn't as popular because these forums are easier and better when it comes to posting more than 1 line of code. Go to Undernet and you'll see how hard it is both to ask and answer questions adequately despite being realtime :-)

Yep, Posting code or reply's to others in the public chat room
of IRC is hell! And personal help doesn't really help other board
members does it? Any alternatives?

*ClownPimp*
02-03-2003, 09:17 AM
There are a few programming channels on IRC, like c++, winprog. So if someone really needs real-time help, those are always there.

Posting code isnt really an issue since all someone has to do is start a thread here and post a link. The benifit to having a channel on IRC is to allow real-time discussion about topics, be it programming or not.

Cela
02-03-2003, 09:55 AM
>>The benifit to having a channel on IRC is to allow real-time discussion about topics, be it programming or not.
I'd enjoy chatting with you guys if anyone bothered to show up. :-) Getting people to participate is the hard part.

Vber
02-03-2003, 10:17 AM
About the irc, if people here really means to participate, it will be a good idea...

Travis Dane
02-03-2003, 01:06 PM
I haven't seen any moderator's thoughts come by?
This is supposed to be tried already but i can't find anything of
it on the board search.