PDA

View Full Version : should I ask her....

xds4lx
01-31-2003, 01:14 AM
Ok, ive had a really busy time as of late with school/work/my gf Havent even had spare time to come here that much except for like 2:00am, thank god Im graduating with my degree this summer and will only have to take 9 hrs this summer :-p. . Anyways me and my gf have been together for a little over a year, and lately weve been talking about the future and I can tell she wants me to ask her to marry her, and trust me I can see myself with her for the rest of my life, but I want to do something really really really special for her, something out of the ordinary when I pop the question. Unfortunately I cant think of anything that different that would be unexpected so id like some suggestions from u guys :-p

Polymorphic OOP
01-31-2003, 02:18 AM
You should write a program, put it on a disk and into her computer so that when she turns it on, it pops up with a prompt:

Will you marry me (y/n)?

:D

dP munky
01-31-2003, 02:24 AM
go figure poly w/code as a response
spoken like a true programmer!!! :D

in response to "shold i ask her", if you really love her you should, but i'd get more input on how to pop the question before i'd write a code snippet

novacain
01-31-2003, 02:26 AM
Take her out to an expensive restaraunt / hotel and get them to page her as "Mrs xds4lx".

See if she likes the sound of it.

adrianxw
01-31-2003, 03:09 AM
I don't know you well enough or your girlfriend at all.

The only comment I'll make, based on personal experience, is that marrying at a young age is often a bad idea as neither of the personalities of the two parties are complete. What seems terribly right at 20 can feel so horribly wrong at 25. Messy, expensive, and somewhat traumatising to sort out.

Whatever you decide good luck.

dP munky
01-31-2003, 03:51 AM
way to be supportive.....geeze, he's got a point, but then again, it really depends on the couple..not that i dont agree that things can get messy. but you just have to keep in mind the reasons you want to get married. usually the people that dont last did it for the wrong reasons, or just because

Hammer
01-31-2003, 04:33 AM
>>marrying at a young age is often a bad idea as neither of the personalities of the two parties are complete
Thats a bit too general, eh? We're not all like that.

xds4lx, just one piece of advice from me, make sure neither of you have been drinking toooo much when you pop the question. There's nothing like waking up the next morning wondering if the answer she gave was influenced by the alcohol :D

Nice restaurant/meal sounds like a good plan.

>>did it for the wrong reasons, or just because
well said, make sure it's what you both really want, don't be afraid to talk about it with each other.

@Polymorphic: I think you should write a full program, providing a simulation of the events! :D

face_master
01-31-2003, 06:32 AM
I think it is very sad that you have seen my posts about chicks (ie. The fat chick thread) and their responses and still asked questions here. Hasn't been bad so far though...it may turn into one massive ball of crap. LOL, I can imagine a ball of crap ... rolling down the street

rick barclay
01-31-2003, 06:34 AM
When my brother-in-law decided to propose to my sister, I
guess it must have been sometime around Christmas, he hung
a pinata and told her to go to town on it. When the thing broke
open, viola!, out fell her engagement ring. I know it might
be a little late for pinatas, but what the hey, maybe your gf
doesn't know they're hung up at Christmastime.

Of course, you caould also do like that tv commercial and take her out to dinner and have the waiter serve her ring inside the
dessert. Just make sure the right cake gets delivered to the right table.

Terrance11
01-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by xds4lx
Ok, ive had a really busy time as of late with school/work/my gf Havent even had spare time to come here that much except for like 2:00am, thank god Im graduating with my degree this summer and will only have to take 9 hrs this summer :-p. . Anyways me and my gf have been together for a little over a year, and lately weve been talking about the future and I can tell she wants me to ask her to marry her, and trust me I can see myself with her for the rest of my life, but I want to do something really really really special for her, something out of the ordinary when I pop the question. Unfortunately I cant think of anything that different that would be unexpected so id like some suggestions from u guys :-p

Yes, you seem like you want to marry her. You should.

adrianxw
01-31-2003, 08:18 AM
>>> dont last did it for the wrong reasons, or just because

... yup, just because it felt right at the time. Listen, I said at the top of my message I don't know him or his girlfriend, I went on to make a comment based on personal experience.

face_master:

>>> seen my posts about chicks

Yes, we have, and I'm so glad you chose to share them with us. :rolleyes:

Govtcheez
01-31-2003, 08:25 AM
> Hasn't been bad so far though...

Well, no kidding it hasn't been that bad so far - xds4lx isn't whining about how some girl he doesn't like is following him around.

xds4lx, no one here can tell you the right thing to do. adrian's got a point - lots of early marriages end quickly and badly. On the other hand, my parents got married when they were in their early 20s and have been happily married for almost 25 years now. As corny as it sounds, you have to follow your heart in this - asking for advice from a board with members like f_m is asking for trouble, IMO...

FillYourBrain
01-31-2003, 08:29 AM
I should point out that people who wait into their thirties don't usually last that long either. You see they have had much more time in life to know what it's like to be with a variety of women. adjusting to monogomy is much harder after that.

look at the elderly. of all the people you have known to be married for 40 years, what percentage of them got married young. for me, it's just about all. I've pretty much never heard of anyone lasting that long after "waiting" till they were thirty.

anyhow, I don't think a year is enough time with someone to know them that well. You're still in the lust before love phase.

Brian
01-31-2003, 12:39 PM
You should take her to the top of a building, with loads of brightly lit skyscrapers in the background, and then h4x0r all the buildings so the lights spell out WILL U MARRY M3/?

FillYourBrain
01-31-2003, 01:39 PM
brian, when you said "top of a building" I was sure you were going to suggest he push her off. :eek:

Brian
01-31-2003, 02:02 PM
nah theres a swimming pool at the top of the building at the end of the movie Hackers. I think.

civix
01-31-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Polymorphic OOP
You should write a program, put it on a disk and into her computer so that when she turns it on, it pops up with a prompt:

Will you marry me (y/n)?

:D
Thats the way I would do it.

#include <iostream.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int main()
{
char marry[256];
cout<<"This is from [yournamehere]\n";
cout<<"Will you marry me? (y/n)\n";
cout<<"If you need more time to decide, enter t.";
cin.getline(marry,256,'\n');
if(marry=='y')
{
system("cls");
cout<<"Really?! Call [yourphonenumber] and tell me that!\n";
getch();
return 0;
}
if(marry=='n')
{
system("cls");
cout<<"Oh, ok. Call [yourphonenumber] and tell me that, please.\n";
getch();
return 0;
}
if(marry=='t')
{
system("cls");
cout<<"Oh, so you need some more time to decide...call me and tell me."\n";
getch();
}
else
{
cout<<"please input something valid\n";
}
return 0;
}

Hehe...

Eibro
01-31-2003, 04:00 PM
Ask her while you're speeding down the highway... if she says no, hammer your foot on the gas and ask again.

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Eibro
Ask her while you're speeding down the highway... if she says no, hammer your foot on the gas and ask again.

How about ejecting her door? and ask again?;)

dP munky
01-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Eibro
even still, you could ask once, if she says no, push in the cigarette lighter and ask again....(i think you see where im going w/this)

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by dP munky
i think you see where im going w/this)

Nooo......... I hope nothing too sick:)

ammar
01-31-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by adrianxw
I don't know you well enough or your girlfriend at all.

The only comment I'll make, based on personal experience, is that marrying at a young age is often a bad idea as neither of the personalities of the two parties are complete. What seems terribly right at 20 can feel so horribly wrong at 25. Messy, expensive, and somewhat traumatising to sort out.

Whatever you decide good luck.

I agree with him... You should think of that very well...

golfinguy4
01-31-2003, 04:48 PM
If you're gonna do it, make it creative. Here's a good one (but you'll need a little cooperation).

Go to her boss. Tell her your situation and ask for a little help. Have the boss bring her in the office and talk about how they've been having problems with her and they are going to take some actions. Then, have him hand her a letter and tell her that the letter describes all of their problems. On the letter, have the good ol' "Will you marry me? love (your name)" As she's reading it, pop out of a closet or something. Then propose....

Or if you don't use my way, at least keep it creative.

TechWins
01-31-2003, 05:07 PM
My brother knew his wife for around 6 months (technically longer b/c she was my sister's friend but my brother never talked to her before that time) before he propsed to her. They got married at the ages of 20 (my brother) and 19 (his wife) in December of 99. They have been married ever since then and are doing perfectly fine. It really all depends on the particular people, so if you feel that getting married is the right decision for the right reasons then do so. Good luck either way.

Panopticon
01-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Polymorphic OOP

Great idea! Its better than any other way I could think of. This one's original and brings out the 'you' in the question.

I made a flash applet a while back that asks a yes/no question, and have the no button fly away on mouse over and come back when the mouse leaves the area. I guess you can implement that idea as sort of a "security precaution". lol :p

xds4lx
01-31-2003, 08:51 PM
Ok, ive been busy today at work and finally found some free time to myself so i figured i see what anyone had to say and man was i suprised at the number of responses. First let me say that were not all that young, im 22, shes 21. Weve been together for a little over a year. Were almost always together, we both have the same interests in music, movies, games, cars, reading material, outdoors, food, ............. and i could go on forever. Ive dated plenty of girls and let me say that the fealings I get from being around her are the most amazing ive felt in my life. In our time together weve never even fought once, no arguments or disagrements, its pretty amazing to get alone with someone like this. Anyways the reasons I want to ask her to marry me is that first off I love her, I love being around her, I love making her smile and hearing her laugh, I love the fealing of holding her all night and waking up so the first thing I see is her beautiful face so that Im able to wake her with a soft kiss, and I dont think my life would be complete without knowing that shes going to be next to me for the rest of it. Ive thought of several ways of asking her but I dont want to do the traditional approch of taking her to a romantic dinner or something. I think what im going to do is flash something to a GBA disk and put it in hers so that when she turns it on to play games in class (tisk tisk! :-p) she will see it and hopefully text message me.

Polymorphic OOP
01-31-2003, 09:12 PM
awwwww, a GBA proposal. How romantic!

Eibro
01-31-2003, 09:20 PM
I have a better idea

Materials:
Red Meat
Red food coloring

Fill your bathtub with water, add coloring untill water is crimson red. Cut the meat into hunks and plop it in the "water".

Put some coloring on your feet, and make red footprints to the tub. Open your door, and invite your future wife over. Climb into the tub and wait. When she enters the bathroom and runs over to you, burst out of the tub screaming "WILL YOU MARRY ME".

Damn that's a good idea, I might try it if/when I get married...

rick barclay
01-31-2003, 09:41 PM
If you have your own place, you should invite her to live with you
a while. My wife and I lived together for six months before I
finally got us both drunk and popped the question. The following
day I asked her again when we were both sober just to be
sure. We're still together, so it worked for us.

xds4lx
01-31-2003, 09:45 PM
We live together right now, have been for 3 months. Not our own place but close enough, were living in her cousins basement, it doenst have access from upstaris so its private and pretty nice, it has a small kitchen, b-room w/ shower/tub and a bedroom and a living room its bigger than an apartment but still small but nice (just hate hearing her nephew and niece cry upstairs)

ammar
01-31-2003, 11:07 PM
Eibro... You can comming up with very great ideas... I think I'll use some of them in the future... I'll make sure to save this page on my computer.

rick barclay
02-01-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by xds4lx
We live together right now, have been for 3 months. ...

Excellent! You're well on you way, then. You should do well together.

dP munky
02-01-2003, 04:08 AM
you dont fight??? whaaaat? you gotta fight every now and again, or else when you do, it'll be bad news. :)

napkin111
02-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Hey Eibro, I'm pretty sure you'll get is a slap and a swift kick in the groin :P .....Actually, that sounds like a decent idea...hmmm....

Not too be too negative, but my mom married my biological father at 19 and they were divorced by 21 (they were the same age). They dated for most of high school I think.

//napKIN

xds4lx
02-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Just thought id update everyone, well I didnt do the GBA thing bc I couldnt get a hold of my friend with the stuff for that so I ended up taking her up to the mountains for a romantic drive. We were just sitting outside the car enjoying the day at Talluah Falls(i think thats how u spell it). Anyways we were just sitting there me holding her, then I pulled out a ring and got on my knees and asked her if she would like to spend the rest of her life being my princess :-p and she started to cry and jumped up and huged me and told me yes :) We havent set a date yet but were talking about everything and just being happy :) Have a good night guys.

Govtcheez
02-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Congratulations, bud! :D

FillYourBrain
02-01-2003, 10:00 PM
yeah, congrats. I was sitting back waiting to see if you pulled some lame programming proposal on her:D I think I would have died laughing.

xds4lx
02-02-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by FillYourBrain
yeah, congrats. I was sitting back waiting to see if you pulled some lame programming proposal on her:D I think I would have died laughing.

Hehe, I thought about making a prog and putting on her pc but she got mad at me for the last one I did hehe, I made a prog that changed the text of all the buttons on the calc (shes always using the pcs calc) and she was getting mad as hell but i thought it was funny :-p so i decided against doing that, anyways what i did was sweeter and more rewarding :) Anyways thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Cheeze-It
02-02-2003, 01:09 AM
Have her sign one of those pre-nup thingies...

adrianxw
02-02-2003, 05:35 AM
>>> Have her sign one of those pre-nup thingies...

What a warm, feeling thought, thanks ethic.

Best of luck, I hope everyhting works out for the best.

ammar
02-02-2003, 06:13 AM
Congratulations xds4lx, you've got what you wanted...
Good luck for you!

xds4lx
02-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ethic
Have her sign one of those pre-nup thingies...

Um actually theres no need bc she makes more money then me right now :-p but only like $1500 more a year so not that much, but as soon as I have my degree at the end of the year ill make much more than her :-p Anyways thanks for the wishes guys, and may u all be as lucky as me in finding your soul mate.