PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

TechWins
01-30-2003, 01:14 AM
Do you have a cell phone?

Sometimes I'm at places, and it's crazy to think how many waves are coming down around me simultaneously considerng how many people seem to have a cell phone. Granted, I have one too, but it's still crazy.

Also, what service plan do you have? I have Cricket; I have unlimited calling, 500 free long distance minutes, caller id, call waiting, 3 way calling, unlimited text messaging, and maybe some other features. I pay $45 a month for it. I like the plan, because I don't have to worry about sending too many messages or being on the phone too much.

alpha
01-30-2003, 01:20 AM
I have Sprint. $30 monthly; 200 anytime, 2800 nights/weekends...I'm probably going to their 300/unlimited plan, same monthly... 3 way calling, call waiting, caller id, call forwarding, plus more, can't really remember, don't use them much, cept for caller id and call waiting...

GanglyLamb
01-30-2003, 01:32 AM
this may sound strange but i dont have one because right now i dont need one....actually i cant seem the purpose of it(dont try to convince me by telling all great stuff bout cellphones because i have to hear that day in day out from friends :-S)

i would only need it next year when im going to nigeria because over there phones arent that common .... (on the countryside that is not in the concrete jungle :p)

Scourfish
01-30-2003, 02:11 AM
the only time a cell phone saved my life while driving was when I was on the psychic friend's network.

adrianxw
01-30-2003, 02:52 AM
No use for one. When I'm not where someone can contact me, I don't want to be disturbed.

novacain
01-30-2003, 03:13 AM
>>No use for one. When I'm not where someone can contact me, I don't want to be disturbed.

Exactly.

I refuse to use one. Why would I want my boss to be able to find me anywhere?

Though I do have one for when I am out in the boat (to ring the sea rescue). Have not charged it up for months. It has a $25 pay as you go card in it, with none used.

vasanth
01-30-2003, 04:55 AM
Well i own the LG 3G handset which came almost free with the dirt cheap service....

Every month i hvae to pay around 10$ and i get unlimited free incomming calls and free 400 minutes outgoing with free messenging, Internet, streaming video of cricket matches in full colour, etc.. and after the 400 minutes i have to pay 1$ to speak another 125 minutes outgoing calls...

adrianxw
01-30-2003, 05:00 AM
>>> streaming video of cricket matches in full colour

To your phone? Hell, maybe I do need one!

RoD
01-30-2003, 05:08 AM
I have verizon wireless. I get 1000 anytime minutes, free nights, weekends, and long distance. Free holidays, caller id, three way calling, call forwarding, call waiting, internet, text messaging, and voicemail. The phone was free, and i pay 25.00 USA a month.

Never, ever drops a signal, verizon owns.

Govtcheez
01-30-2003, 07:13 AM
> Never, ever drops a signal, verizon owns.

Considering how successful your last two "XXXX ownz" statements have come out, I'll stick with my Nextel on this. It's a little more expensive, but it's got more features than my Verizon did, a lot of my friends have them (and wel all have unlimited 2-way), and the coverage in my area's way better than it was when I had a Verizon.

ober
01-30-2003, 07:32 AM
AT&T here... the coverage is alright for being in the middle of nowhere...

I have 850 anytime minutes and 1000 night and weekend. I pay $80 a month but I can call from anywhere to anywhere in the US.

Travis Dane
01-30-2003, 07:49 AM
I hate Cell-Phones. They have their good sides but most people
just yank on and on in those things, it's really pointless.
Sadly enough i have one, my mother insisted on it for my own
safety, i guess she's right. I never use it or take it with me tough.

Govtcheez
01-30-2003, 07:53 AM
I don't spend that much time on my cell phone - it's just really convenient. I spend a lot of time in my car and away from other phones, so it's simpler to be able to just call home while driving or something. Plus, there's the safety thing, too - mine's helped me on several occasions when my car died on the road or stuff like that.

Travis Dane
01-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
I spend a lot of time in my car and away from other phones, so it's simpler to be able to just call home while driving or something. Plus, there's the safety thing, too - mine's helped me on several occasions when my car died on the road or stuff like that.

You're right, But i'm not experiencing those situations yet, Until
that time i'l leave it dusting away:rolleyes:

minesweeper
01-30-2003, 09:06 AM
I have a mobile on Orange. I think mobiles are a good thing, for instance I once used mine to call 999 when there wasn't a phone box around, but like a lot of good things, they get misused. Also, modern phones are getting way over the top. All I need it for is to make a phone call, not stream video, send pictures, browse the web, play mp3's, make cups of coffee, boil an egg, organise my life etc etc.

I would like to see some social rules imposed on the use of mobiles however including:

1. Cycling through ring tones when in the presence of others is STRICTLY prohibited.

2. 'Real World' conversation takes precedence. So if you are talking to me face to face and your phone rings you cancel the call and ring them back later. I was talking to you first and therefore have priority.

3. When in a meeting, whether it be a business meeting, a date, or whatever, the phone should be OFF!!

Anyone think of any more?

Govtcheez
01-30-2003, 09:12 AM
I agree with the first and third point, but the second one's unavoidable - if my normal phone rang while I was talking to you, I'd probably tell you to hold on a minute while I answered it.

And yeah, they are getting kinda out there with their new "advances". They're cool, but not absolutely necessary. I've really enjoyed having limited web access on my phone, though - that's useful.

4. After someone's cell goes off in a movie theater, the other theatergoers should be allowed to have a contest to see who can throw the phone and/or its owner the farthest.

adrianxw
01-30-2003, 09:25 AM
5. Any mobile that rings in a restaurant automatically wins a chance to see if it can beat the house record for "how long I can ring emersed in a bowl of soup".

Telephone owner should always be ejected of course.

lightatdawn
01-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Looks like we have crappy cell packages here in Canada or something. I shell out 35 bucks and dont get half what I'm seeing here.

I'd be lost without mine. My life is permanently up in the air, and I dont plan things until 5 minutes after its no longer possible to do them. This makes it nice for me to get in my car, start driving, and start phoning friends and places to figure out what the hell I'm doing. Plans and ideas change by the second and the 10% of the time when I'm not late, somebody else is. A cell phone makes all that much nicer. Plus, I've got caller-ID and voice mail so nobody gets hold of me who I dont want to speak to. ;)

Most cell phone use doesnt bother me at all. Its just a convenience. Its makes no different to me if somebody is talking in a restaurant to their buddy beside them or their buddy in Toronto. But if I hear ringing in the theater... :mad:

The only other annoying thing is when people dont seem to understand the technology. They seem to think that since Bob is in Toronto, that they'd better yell into the phone loud enough for him to actually hear it without any kind of transmitting or recieving device.

MethodMan
01-30-2003, 05:27 PM
I have a cell phone, a FIDO pay as you go. It gets the job done to get someone to pick me up, or to have in case of an emergency. I dont reall see why else you would need one.

Travis Dane
01-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by MethodMan
I dont reall see why else you would need one.

Agreed, That's why i get mad off all that crap they put in mobiles.

Govtcheez
01-30-2003, 06:41 PM
> That's why i get mad off all that crap they put in mobiles

"These are just too darn functional!"

Travis Dane
01-30-2003, 06:43 PM
"These are just too darn functional!"

It's what you call functional, I think its just worthless, i mean
games, pictures,sms,voicemail,logo's and hell alot other things.
Like....WHE DONT NEED THAT. You would almost call it a pc.

Govtcheez
01-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Yes... and what's wrong with that?

lightatdawn
01-30-2003, 07:52 PM
>> It's what you call functional, I think its just worthless

Yes, but you dont have to buy it if you dont want it. Theres plenty of options out there in cell phone land, that ensure you only pay for what you actually want.

At first I thought the games and stuff were stupid; But after being caught waiting 1/2 hour here and there unexpectedly, and with nothing else to do, you suddenly realise the beauty of Snake and Memory. ;)

>>I dont reall see why else you would need one.

Lots of reasons... That would be why I bought it. :rolleyes: A friend you want to meet up with doesnt know when he's done his Chem Lab? No prob. He calls. Encountered difficulties/delays en-route? No prob. Call ahead and tell someone. Cant find the address you're looking for? Call them and get directions... Get the picture? Cant decide between the blonde and the red-head? ... Wait... Maybe a cell phone doesnt help on that one...

TechWins
01-30-2003, 10:47 PM
A cell phone is very useful for when you have an active social life and you're out a lot. Which is why many people like to have one. Simply another convience in the modern age that makes life a lot easier/better for some people.

black
01-31-2003, 12:38 AM
nobody would find me if my cell phone is lost ;)

dP munky
01-31-2003, 01:10 AM
dont like cell phones, i usually carry quarters, or at the very least carry a phone card>>1000 min. whenever, wherever, never expire, and i dont have to worry about being out of my range, bad connections, or buying that dumb phone

Shiro
01-31-2003, 11:13 AM
I have a very simple cell phone, a Nokia. It is not advanced, but I only use it as a phone, so I don't need very much. The most usefull thing in the phone is the addressbook.

>Yes, but you dont have to buy it if you dont want it.

Partly true. Cell phones have a standard set of things these days. Standard games and that kind of things.

>WHE DONT NEED THAT.

Collegue's of mine write software for use in phones, not only low level software, but also applications, like games and that kind of things. From a technical point of view it is nice to create these things.

But the main reason why phone manufacturers make all those things, is because people are asking for it. Manufacturers usually don't create things no one wants to buy. Just look at all those ring tones, I don't like it, but it seems to be a hype. So I think there is a majority of cell phones users with need for that.

GanglyLamb
01-31-2003, 11:32 AM
This is how i see all the fancy gadgets on a cell phone.

people buy a cell phone 80% has a cell phone so the manufacterers say damn we need another type so we can sell cell phones AGAIN

this goes on untill the market is (how you call it) well until 80% of the ppl has this new phone and again a new phone is being brought onto the market.

Its all about money, demand and offer.(and offcourse with youngsters the PEER pressure)

a cell phone with games and things like that is useless. A cell phone where you can rely on thats what matters.
Its the same with cars why do u need a "modern car" with all kind of new things on it when you have a car who drives and basically does the same as the expensive one.(basic thing is to DRIVE)

adrianxw
01-31-2003, 11:36 AM
>>> like games and that kind of things.

I can see it now...

Wife: "Did you ring the bank and sort out that loan?"
Husband: "Dang - forgot that, BUT, I got the high score on tetris!"

Govtcheez
01-31-2003, 11:42 AM
> basically does the same as the expensive one

So? The basic point of the internet's to pass information. Why shouldn't it just be text? Added features on cell phones don't hurt people - if anything, they help by driving the cost of bare bones phones down.

Shiro
01-31-2003, 12:31 PM
>Its the same with cars why do u need a "modern car" with all
>kind of new things on it when you have a car who drives and
>basically does the same as the expensive one.(basic thing is to
>DRIVE)

Some people want such a car for fun, some people want such a car for status, some people just like the car and get all those gadgets just with it, whether they like it or not. Just as with cell phones, if you buy one, even a simple one, there are games and other things standard installed on it.

I don't care about all those things on those phones, if you don't need it, just ignore it. And... such new developments result in work for programmers. ;)

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Shiro
Some people want such a car for fun, some people want such a car for status, some people just like the car and get all those gadgets just with it, whether they like it or not. Just as with cell phones, if you buy one, even a simple one, there are games and other things standard installed on it.

Cars maintain there purpose better than mobiles do. Cars are
getting faster, more quiet and more aerodynamic. Mobiles don't
increase performance at what they're designed for, Calling.

Govtcheez
01-31-2003, 12:40 PM
I beg to differ - they've got voice dialing, speed dialing, etc - plus, with SMS, you get a whole new type of calling, just like an instant message.

Shiro
01-31-2003, 12:43 PM
But also cars have lots of things on board which have nothing to do directly with driving. An advanced airco, a radio with all kind of things on it, perhaps a CD player with the usual stuff, a navigation system and eh.... things for your mobile phone, like a car kit. :)

Just like cars are equipped with more and more things which have nothing to do with driving, mobile phones are equipped more and more with things that have nothing to do with making phone calls.

I think the idea behind a phone is to communicate. Phones can currently not only be used to communicate in the old way: talking, but you can also send SMS, use the internet and all that kind of new things. So in that way, they sure are increasing performance.

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 12:45 PM
I beg to differ - they've got voice dialing, speed dialing, etc - plus, with SMS, you get a whole new type of calling, just like an instant message.

Yes, I'd be nice if those functions where actually used usefull.
I mean voice dialing? How lazy can you get?

(Some people might even require voice dialing because of those
damn small new mobiles.)

Govtcheez
01-31-2003, 12:47 PM
> How lazy can you get?

It's not lazy at all - I've got about 100 numbers in my phone right now - I cant' remember them all. I could page through them all and get the one I'm looking for, or I could just hit a button and say "Justin" and it'll call him.

Shiro
01-31-2003, 12:49 PM
>I mean voice dialing? How lazy can you get?

The same with cars. Also modern cars make you lazy.

- You don't need to read the map, you got navigation.
- You don't need to change gear manually, that is done by the car.
- You don't need to look in front of you, the ADR controls the distance between you and the car in front.
- You don't have to turn the motor on manually, in earlier days people had to turn the motor on with a pendulum (?).
- Etc.

In my opinion voice dialling is usefull, for example when your driving your car and you want to make a call. SMS is usefull to send a message without the need for talking, can be very usefull.

But why are you worried about these developments?

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 12:49 PM
I could just hit a button and say "Justin" and it'll call him.

Right, I overlooked that advantage sorry.

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Shiro
But why are you worried about these developments?

Worried? How do you mean worried? I'm not very happy
with the way most youth utilizes these options, That's all.

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
Worried? How do you mean worried? I'm not very happy
with the way most youth utilizes these options, That's all.

[edit]

Of course i can't know how people behave with their mobiles
in your country so i might as well misunderstood you.

Govtcheez
01-31-2003, 12:56 PM
Wtf? Are you afraid the youth will stage an uprising with SMS and embedded java games or something?

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 12:58 PM
Wtf? Are you afraid the youth will stage an uprising with SMS and embedded java games or something?

Well, they're keeping me out of my sleep with the damn things,
That's a start:p .

Shiro
01-31-2003, 01:00 PM
>Worried? How do you mean worried? I'm not very happy
>with the way most youth utilizes these options, That's all.

I see. Well, but that is something different than saying those things are just useless.

Here in the Netherlands I think it the things itself are no real problem, but the way the youth uses it is something to worry about. I read in the paper that youth spends many euro's on their phones. They need to have the best, the most beautiful, the latest games, the latest ringtones etc. That costs more money than they have. That sure is something to worry about.

Travis Dane
01-31-2003, 01:06 PM
I never said they where useless, I got a little angry on all those
extra functions on a mobile that are designed only to make more
and more money, Of course they have theyre advatages but the
price you'lle have to pay for it you might as well just call.

Shiro
01-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Well, you said this

I think its just worthless, i mean games, pictures,sms,voicemail,logo's and hell alot other things.

That is what I referred to. Anyway, all customer electronics, not only mobile phones, are equipped with things which you at first thought wouldn't expect to be present on that kind of electronics. Just take a look at watches, TV's etc.

I can imagine people getting tired of all those things on devices, which make using those devices sometimes quite complex and I can imagine very well people don't know what to do with all those things on their phones. I think that that most people use just a little set of all functionalities their product offers them. Not that it is bad, it just shows that a lot of features are useless to most people.

At least, here in Europe. I have read that new things are getting almost immediately popular in Japan. In Japan a lot of people use for example I-Mode for quite a long time now, and well, here in the Netherlands I don't know anyone using it.

I realise that my point of view is a bit prejudiced. For me creating software for such devices is just my work, and I like to create such software, so I would be more worried if people stopped using it and manufacturers stopped producing it and stopped giving me work to do. :)

Fountain
01-31-2003, 05:16 PM
SMS is a superb invention-really useful.

I got me a t100 samsung. Everything on this modern phone IS useful to me. Bright colour is easier to see than lcd screen.

Polyphonic sounds are WAY, WAY easier to hear if there is background noise etc.

And so on.