PDA

View Full Version : Curses.h - Question

MethodMan
01-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Hi

I am going to be using the curses library, text based graphics for an upcoming project. I downloaded the library since it didnt come packaged with the distro. I am able to run certain programs, but when I get a program with colours, I get an error and it wont exectue. 'Error - no color support on this terminal'

Is there any way to fix this?

I am using KDE, and I even tried different shell windows available like XTerm and others, and still got the same error.

Thanks

orbitz
01-29-2003, 08:17 PM
try export TERM=xterm or dtterm.

MethodMan
01-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Will I try this on the command line before I execute the code?
And once that line is executed, and it works, will I ever have to execute that statement again?

Thanks

MethodMan
01-29-2003, 09:29 PM
I checked the env table, and TERM was already set on xterm, I exported it and tried to execute the code, but it still will not execute the code.

Also dtterm does not exist.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

//Edit, the code will not execute from my machine, However I loaded it on the school server and when I execute it from there in the same console I tried before it executes!!!!!!!

MethodMan
01-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Well if anyone else comes across this they now know the answer.

When a shell windows is open. File > Linux Console.

The colours will then work.

Fredd
01-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Actually it's TERM=xterm-color. this only applies to the terminal you type it into.
I think you can put it in .xinitrc though.

Skarr
02-05-2003, 01:30 PM
If you want to avoid this problem on any terminal, you should make use of terminfo, so you don't try to access functionality that doesn't exist on the terminal.

Take a look at the terminfo man page. (And don't ask me, I just know the theory :)

Skarr