PDA

View Full Version : Which to take: Physics or Stat?

deathstryke
01-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Next year's enrollment is here and I'm not quite sure what to take. I am certain that I will be in AP Calc, Networking 2 (CCNA semesters 3 & 4), and Electronics. This leaves me with 1 hour left (Net 2 & electronics are block classes) and I don't know which to take between Physics and stat. Math is very much my major good area, but physical sciences are also good areas for me. What do you guys think?

adrianxw
01-29-2003, 11:49 AM
A knowledge of statistical methods is very useful, and once you understand some of the statistical concepts, you cease to be fooled by the rubbish stats they dish up in the media to "prove" a point they want you to believe!

That said, stats is pretty dull going, I had to do it as an ancilliary for two years.

Physics is far more interesting, but maybe not as directly applicable.

golfinguy4
01-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Personally, I would take Physics... stats is too dry for me. Anyways, since you're in high school, you might be looking at colleges, and most colleges want you to have taken physics.

Govtcheez
01-29-2003, 11:53 AM
> most colleges want you to have taken physics.

True - I'd take phys for that reason alone. If you go into anything computer related, you'll probably end up taking both in college anyways, so don't think you'll be missing out on learning what the other's got to offer by taking one.

TravisS
01-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Hmmz, well so far it's a 6 to nothing poll :p

I'd take physics if I were you. Then, if you have the choice, calculas over stat. Have statistics kinda be your last choice (depending on the career you want of course).

In highschool I took calculas as my last math class, my freind took AP stat. For my 2 year degree I only needed 1 math class (I placed high enough to skip the other 2) and that 1 math class was pre-calc. My friend on the other hand is trying to become a mechanical engineer. He's having to retake his first of three calc. classes and wishes he would have taken calc instead of stat in highschool.

GanglyLamb
01-29-2003, 12:44 PM
i go to school in belgium and we dont get the choice between all the courses its more an assembled packet of lessons together...
now i have 4 hours physics and 6 hours maths also 2 hours chemistry. So by now i already now quit a bit about physics and IMO if i were u i would choose physics..... dunno how its with you but over here we get practicals (dunno if this is the right translation) and those practicals are really great and fun to do(except for the reports about it afterwards:().

for exemple last year we studied different type of bombs
so in theory i should be able to compose a nucleair bomb(with the rightequipment and resources) and a H-bomb.

Shiro
01-29-2003, 01:00 PM
I would choose physics, because for me it would be much more interesting. Also physics includes a lot of statistics. Just think about processing measurements from phsycal experiments, you need statistics for that. Or think about setting up mathematica models of phsycal processess with variables chance-variables. Physics is lots, lots of math. If you choose physics, don't worry about that.

Anyway, isn't there are way you can have a look into some books in the library of the unversity, so that you can see which interests you most? Because in my opinion that is the most important thing.

01-29-2003, 01:06 PM
physics, hands down

the ability to stay awake in class alone is reason enough...

deathstryke
01-29-2003, 02:57 PM
OK OK, I'll take physics. I was in no danger of dropping calc people. I only asked because my math teacher recommended me for both stat and calc.

alpha
01-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Don't sound so defensive. A lot of teachers will recommend different things, but Physics is something that you would definitely want an intro to in high school. Are we talking about AP Physics, AP Stats, or regular Physics, regular Stats. Either way, Physics will be a lot more interesting; it will probably be more challenging as well, I heard AP Stats was easier than AP Calc...(not sure though since I haven't taken AP stats)... And as previously stated, if you are thinking about an engineering major; an intro to Physics now will be more beneficial than an intro to Stats...at least from what I've heard. I'll find out next year, eh.

deathstryke
01-30-2003, 08:12 AM
AP stat, normal physics. My original intent was to take physics and AP calc. I was just wondering about replacing physics with AP stat.

qwertiop
01-30-2003, 03:24 PM
I take physics, I think its a more essential class.

also if this is high school, don't you have to take classes like english and government?

Waldo2k2
01-30-2003, 07:23 PM
yeah most schools require english and some form of P.E. each year.......and gov't needs to be taken either junior or senior year to graduate

I'm taking AP Stat next year, I don't have the prereqs to take physics....oh well....just makes me mad they don't start algebra in my school till freshman year.

deltabird
01-30-2003, 07:35 PM
just a quick question while we're on the topic:

What comes after AP Calculus in the normal class progression?

Ex: algebra I, geometry, algebra II, pre-calc / trig, calc, _______?

alpha
01-30-2003, 08:03 PM
>> algebra I, geometry, algebra II, pre-calc / trig, calc, _______?

stats...at least it should be, and its the normal progression i've seen.

>>I don't have the prereqs to take physics....oh well....just makes me mad they don't start algebra in my school till freshman year.

they didn't either in my school, I took these courses at two diff schools, moved summer before junior year.

frosh: alg1/geom intro. to lab sci
soph: geom/alg2/trig biology
junior: precalc/calc A chemistry
summer 2k2: physics at comm. college.
senior calc BC ap phys.

What prereqs do you need? math or science?

kermi3
01-30-2003, 11:39 PM
I chose stat over physics and I loved it. Some people hate it, it's a totlalt diffrent kind of math, though calculator most the actual math, you just have to think. the thing is that Stat isn't accepted by many colleges (AP that is) so look into that first if that really matters to you.

kermi3

Waldo2k2
01-31-2003, 07:08 AM
my loser school:
freshman: algebra I
sophmore: geometry (could've taken algebra II as well but didn't get in with my schedule, now im screwed for higher math)
junior(this year):algebra II (that's enough for one year:))
senior(next year):algebra III/trig and AP Stat

my buddy got to take both geo and algII his sophmore year, now next year he can take preCalc. Lucky bastage.

deathstryke
01-31-2003, 08:00 AM
also if this is high school, don't you have to take classes like english and government?
Already took all that I had to, and am not taking another english in high school.

jessie23
01-31-2003, 08:17 AM
well im in the same school as deathstyrke and i have a bit more room in my schedule, so im taking physics and stat. with 3 more weighted courses besides these two i ought to have a barrel of fun next year.

alpha
01-31-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by jessie23
well im in the same school as deathstyrke and i have a bit more room in my schedule, so im taking physics and stat. with 3 more weighted courses besides these two i ought to have a barrel of fun next year.

ah...yes that will be fun. I'm taking five APs this semester, took six last sem. but i decided not to continue with Spanish because I'm not going to be taking the AP for it. My school's foreign language dept. doesn't do a great job with preparing students for the AP, especially the AP teachers. My teacher hasn't taught me anything new in Spanish 4 or AP, and everything I have learned so far was in Spanish 2.

Anyways, the five weighted classes is going to be nice; I don't find the load that bad, but it is a lot of work, I'm just able to finish it quickly, kindof a nice thing to have in school... They will help your gpa, and will definitely help you get into college...

golfinguy4
01-31-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by alpha
ah...yes that will be fun. I'm taking five APs this semester, took six last sem.

Wow.... Which ones are you taking? My school doesn't even have that many I don't think.

alpha
01-31-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by golfinguy4
Wow.... Which ones are you taking? My school doesn't even have that many I don't think.

This semester:
AP Calculus BC
AP Physics C (calc based)
AP US Government
AP Computer Science AB
AP Literature and Composition

Unregd
02-01-2003, 02:01 PM
You have made a good choice choosing physics. The way my high school does things is that there are many college credit/dual credit classes but only a few Advanced Placement courses in biology, chemistry, and physics. At my high school, statistics/probability is the "easy math" for the seniors who want to goof off and not take precalculus or calculus.

At my high school, the math courses have been changing around in the preferred order a lot and trigonometry's exact place in the mess has changed around too, but here was the usual progression for people in the class of 2003:
Algebra I (freshman)->geometry (sophomore)->Algebra II (junior)->precalculus (senior) or probability/statistics. I followed this, but added trigonometry into my junior year 1st semester.

OR

geometry (freshman)->Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry (sophomore; Algebra II and trigonometry were later broken up)->precalculus->calculus.

The younger classes have changed orders, and everything. It's a real mess.

qwertiop
02-02-2003, 12:47 AM
I'm taking AP US gov, AP calc bc, AP chemisty. I would have taken ap physics, but my school doesn't offer it, or AP stats, but I couldn't fit it into my schedule. Last year I took AP US History, and AP comp sci AB, the year before that AP comp sci A.

calculus is the hardest for me:( The other AP classes I took really wern't that bad. I'd encourage everyone to take them.

Dalren
02-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Fear Alpha your schedule is way too much like mine

>>This semester:
>>AP Calculus BC -- Me too
>>AP Physics C (calc based) -- Same
>>AP US Government -- Same
>>AP Computer Science AB -- Im a T. A. in this class, took it last year, (got a 5 :D )
>>AP Literature and Composition -- Only Difference

Also taking an engineering class.

alpha
02-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Dalren
Fear Alpha your schedule is way too much like mine

>>This semester:
>>AP Calculus BC -- Me too
>>AP Physics C (calc based) -- Same
>>AP US Government -- Same
>>AP Computer Science AB -- Im a T. A. in this class, took it last year, (got a 5 :D )
>>AP Literature and Composition -- Only Difference

Also taking an engineering class.

hehe...that's cool.
Hard to find someone taking a similar schedule.
:)