PDA

View Full Version : Attention Expected!!!! Super Moderators (Clue: Censorship on Thread/Post)



zahid
01-29-2003, 12:16 AM
May I expect some attention from C board Super Moderators?

Is there any problem to send a pm note with a little explanation of the reason "Why you are closing a thread or removing a post?".

Several times I discussed about it with individual moderators. It's confusing, when one of you are doing that and no explanation. I don't know how other feel but, it's very annoying when I always try to offend no one and follow the rules.

Here I have a proposal to include :
When one of the moderators are doing something with a thread or post, a note must be sent to the other moderators && (the thread starter || the member posted the reply.)

I hope this will reduce your work to close future thread or remove a post.

Fordy
01-29-2003, 03:17 AM
Usually we do post a reason........

...but if certain members stopped posting rubbish and stopped flouting the board rules, then there would be no reason to delete threads would there?

Having to notify all moderators, the thread starter and the person who posted the offending post is too onerous IMO.

adrianxw
01-29-2003, 04:41 AM
I tend to agree with Fordy, if a thread/post breaks the rules, then really, the reason for its closure/deletion is already covered by the sticky at the top of the forum.

>>> I hope this will reduce your work to close future thread or remove a post.

How? It's time consuming enough to have to go through all the threads here, many of which have no sensible content. You are suggesting doing extra things when action is taken. I do not see how that could possibly reduce the workload. I don't think any of the mods will accept making things take even longer.

zahid
01-29-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Fordy
Usually we do post a reason........
Okay.. I did not see any reason posted at
"Poll: Limitless signature?"
Why the thread was closed?
Why and who did it?
if this is because of the end of poll,
why the post last day I put in the thread removed?

It happened earlier few more times, I never want to do anything wrong. So, removing/closing any of my thread /post is like offending me.

...but if certain members stopped posting rubbish and stopped flouting the board rules, then there would be no reason to delete threads would there?

Having to notify all moderators, the thread starter and the person who posted the offending post is too onerous IMO.

Moderators may have different archive to store,
I guess there is already some way to check but they should be noticed. If it does not happen very often.

But the thread starter(In case of closing a thread) or (Not and) the person who posted must be informed. That was my proposal.

What other moderators think?

Thanks for your response.

zahid
01-29-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw

>>> I hope this will reduce your work to close future thread or remove a post.

How? It's time consuming enough to have to go through all the threads here, many of which have no sensible content. You are suggesting doing extra things when action is taken. I do not see how that could possibly reduce the workload. I don't think any of the mods will accept making things take even longer.

So.. you did not get my point.

When the same guy doing it again and again ..
what is that mean?
May be he did not get your point "the reason you removed/closed his/her thread".
Or he/she is doing it knowingly.

What will be the best and what will reduce your work,
Stop him from posting (I don't know how) or
Let him/her know the reason.

I guess I'm clear.

adrianxw
01-29-2003, 04:59 AM
>>>
"Poll: Limitless signature?"
Why the thread was closed?
if this is because of the end of poll,
why the post last day I put in the thread were removed?
<<<

See my comment above, rules broken. This is a quote from the person who deleted it...

>>> Bump to a month old thread

... and it was, what more can I say.

adrianxw
01-29-2003, 05:04 AM
>>>
When the same guy doing it again and again ..
what is that mean?
May be he did not get your point "the reason you removed/closed his/her thread".
Or he/she is doing it knowingly.
<<<

Watch the board. There are a number of people on the board who routinely break the rules - they either have not read them, or don't care. Sadly, it is also true that there are people that break the rules for "fun".

>>>
Stop him from posting (I don't know how) or
Let him/her know the reason.
<<<

We don't like to ban people, but it has happened. Currently, we are discussing a new banning policy/technique.

>>> Moderators may have different archive to store,

Yes. We don't "delete" things as such, they are moved to a private board. The reason is simple, if we decide that a thread should not have been deleted, (misunderstanding, mistake, whatever), the thread/post can be put back.

zahid
01-29-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw
>>>
"Poll: Limitless signature?"
Why the thread was closed?
if this is because of the end of poll,
why the post last day I put in the thread were removed?
<<<

See my comment above, rules broken. This is a quote from the person who deleted it...

>>> Bump to a month old thread

... and it was, what more can I say.


Okay.. here we go. It was 12-30-2002 the last post in the thread.

So.. what is the rule? How recent it needs to be to post.


Okay.. I cannot remember completely.. Send (pm) me the post I did last day. I want to see it again myself. I haven't seen any fixed period of time to refrain from posting. and I guess my post was reasonable. Anyway.. rules are rules.

adrianxw
01-29-2003, 06:02 AM
>>> So.. what is the rule? How recent it needs to be to post.

There is no hard and fast rule, it would be difficult to enforce given the amount of traffic on the board.

Generally, (on GD at least), if a message hasn't had a reply for a couple of days, it has fallen off the end of the page, and nobody bothers to go back there. The people have spoken, they are not interested in the thread anymore - it's dead.

I'll PM the contents of your last post as you requested.

zahid
01-29-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw
There is no hard and fast rule
[/B]

First I would like to thank you for PM.

This is what I wrote... >>>
I guess everyone has taken care of the issue.

So.. in the conclusion, any new rules were implemented or in queue? or result came out from the members attention only.
<<< 28/01/2003 7:40

Now can you tell me, what is the wrong I do, if I ask for the result of a long discussion, where there was no conclussion?

And you are saying there is no hard and fast rule.

From a programmers point of view, it's not a big problem to restrict posting in x days old thread.


And you know? I did not mind for closing the thread, but I have seen no response/explanation/(As you have given me in PM) at the bottom of the thread. Even no PM.

Govtcheez
01-29-2003, 07:25 AM
> Now can you tell me, what is the wrong I do, if I ask for the result of a long discussion, where there was no conclussion?


There wouldn't have been anything wrong with it, if you had asked a month ago, when the thread was still anywhere near the first few pages.

zahid
01-29-2003, 07:59 AM
So... what is the time frame for being recent and being old.

Three days? or One week.

Govtcheez
01-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Usually a few days. Look - you've been here for almost 2 years. You've got 350 posts. If you didn't know that posting to a month old thread would tick people off, then there's something wrong.

kermi3
01-29-2003, 08:19 AM
1. General policy is that moderators always either post a reason or PM the person. This is almost always followed. If for whatever reason someone still has a problem, they are welcome to PM me and ask.

2. Bumping...generally, with the amount of traffic on these boards, this means 2-3 weeks. If it's much longer than that and you have a question on the topic still just make a new thread and post a link to the old.

3. I am closing this thread because I no longer see the point to it. It is just bickering, whining, or complaining between one person and the mods. The mod policy is a sound one, and while open to new ideas and suggestions, which we always consider, it isn't policy to make debates like this public. We generally take an idea, discuss, and decide privately. The mods are all competant people, smart and have good judgement, this is why they were elected.


If anyone has a problem with this thread being closed you may PM me and I'll be happy to listen to your reasoning.

Kermi3
Lead Moderator
http://www.cprogramming.com