PDA

View Full Version : DarkCodev1 is born!

DarkViper
01-22-2003, 10:34 AM
im not promoting my site, but im just so excitied. i got DarkCode finished just last night. ive been showing people like crazy. but go to http://www.vipervision.org and go under content>applications and you will find it. its only a couple zip files since i dont know how to make a setup file. but, the whole reason im so excited about this is that its my first program, and i find it pretty complex for a first try. the main was 2052 lines of code, the menus header was 351 lines, resources.h was 7 lines, and resource.rc was 501. so yeah, im pretty proud of myself. so can you blame me for doin this?

note: DarkCode is a standalone app, it needs NO other files at all, as its just the .exe. no .dll files or anything at all. so you can take this thing anywhere.

ober
01-22-2003, 10:57 AM
AHHHHHHH!!! my EYES!! :eek: :eek:

Your website could use a little more professionalism... :rolleyes:

ober
01-22-2003, 11:06 AM
oh, and you might want to revise your little shorcuts program... I'm guessing that's Windows 98 specific. Running Win 2K, that wasn't even CLOSE to where the shortcuts should have been. You might want to try using environment variables to find the root folder and start menu.

Govtcheez
01-22-2003, 11:07 AM
I can't get to your page.

adrianxw
01-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Yeah, it's 404'ing me as well.

PJYelton
01-22-2003, 12:00 PM
It worked for me about 2 hours ago, but not now....

damonbrinkley
01-22-2003, 12:02 PM
No go here......telling me vipervision.org not found.

Govtcheez
01-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Wow - maybe we cprogged his server :)

codingmaster
01-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Where's the site???

404 Error

Vber
01-22-2003, 12:26 PM
can't join :(

ober
01-22-2003, 01:56 PM
what's the problem? I can get into it just fine. Just click the link in the post.

Govtcheez
01-22-2003, 01:58 PM
> Just click the link in the post.

Duh, thanks! That's what I was doing wrong! It wasn't up earlier, dillhole :p

> it looks real l33t!

LMAO!

codingmaster
01-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Strange, now it works
Maybe the DNS was down

ober
01-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Duh, thanks! That's what I was doing wrong! It wasn't up earlier, dillhole :p

I could get into it earlier when you said you couldn't.... !?!

Govtcheez
01-22-2003, 02:01 PM
> I could get into it earlier when you said you couldn't.... !?!

That seems to be the case, yeah.

::checks::

Yup, my mouse clicks just fine.

Vber
01-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Hmm, about yoursite.

1. Not a beatiful design, so heavy, try working with ligther colors.
2. Poor using of the A (html) element, try searching a little bit more about spans tags.

And about the program, nice one, just the JavaScript code snippet should be:

<script language="JavaScript"> var="mytext" document.write("my fav text is" + var + ".");</script>

and not whithout the [language specification], why?
read-up some netscape links, and you'll find out.

DarkViper
01-22-2003, 05:09 PM
thats because the DNS was down for a bit, like 10 minutes after i posted that message, was when it went down. seriously, i was ........ed too. but dont give me no bad credit.

ok, ive tested on win95, win98, win2k, winMX, (not winME, i dont have access to that right now) and the shortcuts are where they are supposed to go, just make sure that WINDOWS is the folder its supposed to go in, and C:\ is your default drive. read the readme file.

RoD
01-22-2003, 05:12 PM
this may sound lame as hell, but wtf is WinMX??

foniks munkee
01-22-2003, 05:58 PM
This is the only reference to WinMX (http://www.winmx.com/) I could find on microsoft.com...

So it works on a file sharing program?

Travis Dane
01-22-2003, 06:02 PM
Very good program, very good indeed, excellent even. Looking
at the programs usually posted on this forum wich are most
of the time 'press a key and see what happens console games',
that makes me sad but these kind of programs really cheer me
up.

CONGRATS!:D :D :D

DarkViper
01-23-2003, 11:33 AM
ahh! not winMX! ahh! i meant winXP... my bad

hey thanks man. i actually worked hard on this one. and it came out almost smelling like a rose :)

ober
01-23-2003, 12:13 PM
again I say that you should not make environment paths hardcoded. My OS here at work (Win2K) is in WINNT... Not Windows. How hard would it be to use the environment variables. I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there that don't have WINDOWS as their OS folder.

civix
01-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Yes, site could use more professionalism...
Overall, I give the app a 2 out of 5.. I dont like that big cursor...the PHP, Perl, etc. functions need to be enabled. Im also not feeling the whole about box thing where you used ASCII to spell out DarkCode. I prefer them short and sweet. Although, its very nice for a first app :)

On second thought, if you need help with code snippets from PHP, im more than willing to help you there :)

Vber
01-23-2003, 04:06 PM
the javascript snippets needs a serious change, you didn't defined the scripting language and most important the variable name, like this, it shouldnt work.

Same, if you need help with some JS code, tell.

DarkViper
01-23-2003, 10:51 PM
you can forget the .zips now because i found a wizard to create a setup file for this. so, just like with the sellf extractors, you can re-emter the path to where it needs to be installed. this is cool. need to figure out how to make an uninstaller though.

ill upload that tommorrow.

i need all the help i can get, JS, PHP, PERL

the reason why Perl down is grayed out is because, well, i never got around to them. sorry. and it looks sloppy when you click on them, because for some reason, no mater what i did, it would not go to the next line, \n didn't work.