PDA

View Full Version : How many hours/day do you spend at a comp?



Pages : [1] 2

napkin111
01-21-2003, 08:48 PM
I was just very curious after reading RoD's computer nerd thread, and I was wondering how much of a Computer Geek I am compared to the rest of you. I generally spend in excess of 7 hours a day in front of a computer (on a school day), and on non-school days I spend the better part of the day online. I play AC2, WC3, UT2K3, various HL, browse the net, and try to program/ learn try to program.

//napKIN

Polymorphic OOP
01-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Literally all day.

Eibro
01-21-2003, 09:05 PM
I'd say about 4 on a weekday
Maybe 8 on a weekend

PJYelton
01-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Well since I'm on the computer all day at work, all night at school, and most of the weekend programming and doing homework, I'd have to say I average 9-11 hours daily.

Aran
01-21-2003, 09:21 PM
3-6 on a week day depending on homeowrk.

5-8 on week ends depending on where i go out to and who i go out with.

MadHatter
01-21-2003, 10:06 PM
most my spare time.. playing games, browsing forums (posting now and then...), chatting, and programming less than i probably should... :p
i usually get on when i get home from school (usually 2:30-3:30 on tuesday-thursday, about 1:30 on monday) and stay on til 2-5 am.. on days without school (friday-sunday) i'm off and on throughout the day, with a good solid 5-10 hours in the evening/night...

alpha
01-21-2003, 10:06 PM
anywhere from 3 - 12 hours a day, that goes for weekends and weekdays. I usually spend more time at a comp on weekdays though, homework, programming, internet. barely any games.

Sebastiani
01-21-2003, 10:42 PM
What else is there to do but program? I'd say all day. (BTW, I bet I'm the only one here that STANDS while programming?)

zahid
01-21-2003, 11:49 PM
10:00AM - 10:00PM +
Sometimes.. 16,18 h/day .. ..

So.. it's almost 12h+/day. This is for last 3 or 4 years.. Ohh.. I'm doing full time job and I love programming.

zahid
01-21-2003, 11:52 PM
ohh.. there in nothing called spare moments to me. I make spare moments to use it for recreation.

codingmaster
01-22-2003, 12:35 AM
GEEK :D :D :D :D :D

Shadow
01-22-2003, 12:39 AM
If I have something else to do, which could be anything revolving going out, or other forms of home entertainment, I'll do that, if it inclines me enough. Otherwise, I'm on the pc.

Even if I have work/school to goto early in the morning, I always get on the computer before leaving.

- edit -
bah, screw it

RoD
01-22-2003, 05:17 AM
hmmm......all day, sometimes here lmao.

Vber
01-22-2003, 07:13 AM
Hmm most of these hours, I'am building sites, and some of the time is for learning C.

In saturday I use less the PC, hmm something like 2-3 hours.

Govtcheez
01-22-2003, 07:30 AM
> I bet I'm the only one here that STANDS while programming?)

I bet you're not :p

My average weekday:
6am get up and get ready
7:30am arrive at work, sit in front of computer
There's about 45 minutes total where I'm not in front of my computer
4pm go home
5pm arrive home, sit in front of computer until about 10pm

Travis Dane
01-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Pfff, whe just had a discussion on dumb expressions like 'geek' or
'dork' or 'nerd' and now i'm being made out for a 'geek'!
How's that!:o

ober
01-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
My average weekday:
6am get up and get ready
7:30am arrive at work, sit in front of computer
There's about 45 minutes total where I'm not in front of my computer
4pm go home
5pm arrive home, sit in front of computer until about 10pm

umm... yeah, that's me. :) I'm a junkie, what can I say?

napkin111
01-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
Pfff, whe just had a discussion on dumb expressions like 'geek' or
'dork' or 'nerd' and now i'm being made out for a 'geek'!
How's that!:o

I wear the title of GEEK proudly!!

//napKIN

Travis Dane
01-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by napkin111
I wear the title of GEEK proudly!!


I'l settle with programmer:o

vasanth
01-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Ohh boy... when ever i go with my dad (his boring meetings).. Some people introduce me to others as the Computer Guy.. then they start talkin to me about their computer problems, how to solve it etc etc future of computer, history of computere.. They make me feel like kickin them........ Nowadays i hate it when people start talkin abt computers in a meetin or sometin....

Govtcheez
01-22-2003, 10:10 AM
> Some people introduce me to others as the Computer Guy.. then they start talkin to me about their computer problems, how to solve it etc etc future of computer, history of computere..

I know what you mean - I hate that. Whenever my parents introduce me to someone, I'm the guy that works with computers. Then people try to get me to troubleshoot their computers w/ no information at all.

Guy:"It doesn't work"
Me:"Well, what doesn't it do?"
"It just doesn't work"
"What were you doing before it stopped working?"
"Nothing - listen, it just doesn't work! I thought you knew a lot about computers!"

deathstryke
01-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Every spare moment: 4-6 week days, 18+ weekends. Yep, me likes me computer.

Shiro
01-22-2003, 11:45 AM
On a working day between 8 and 10 hours working and about 2 or 3 hours at home. From my home to my work is about 1,5 hours driving. I leave home at 7:00 and come back home somewhere in the evening. Usually when I get home I don't do a lot of programming, mostly reading news, visiting boards and that kind of things. On weekend days I spend at most 4 hours on my PC.

-KEN-
01-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> Some people introduce me to others as the Computer Guy.. then they start talkin to me about their computer problems, how to solve it etc etc future of computer, history of computere..

I know what you mean - I hate that. Whenever my parents introduce me to someone, I'm the guy that works with computers. Then people try to get me to troubleshoot their computers w/ no information at all.

Guy:"It doesn't work"
Me:"Well, what doesn't it do?"
"It just doesn't work"
"What were you doing before it stopped working?"
"Nothing - listen, it just doesn't work! I thought you knew a lot about computers!"

Ahhh...my mom does that to me.

"And this is my son Ken...he's good with computers.
::inane babble about how nice that is::
Why yes, he can do neat things, like what was that thing you showed me a few day ago, Ken?
me: Uhh...I didn't show you anything...
mom: Yes you did! That neat spinning box!
me: That was like a year ago...I don't do that anymore
mom: <disregards what I just said>
random person: So, you into computers, eh?
me: Yeah...I guess...whatever..."

And of course the next question is always, without fail...:

"So I guess you're not really a sports man, huh?"

And before I can answer, my mom always, also without fail, steps in to say:

"Oh no, not really.
Me: Mom, I spend about 2 hours a day playing basketball oustide..
Mom: <<blank stare>> So anyway, how are you doing <insert person's name here>"

Govtcheez
01-22-2003, 03:07 PM
> "So I guess you're not really a sports man, huh?"

Yup, when I touched a keyboard for the first time, I started throwing like a girl and tripping over my shoelaces while adjuting my suspenders.

-KEN-
01-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> "So I guess you're not really a sports man, huh?"

Yup, when I touched a keyboard for the first time, I started throwing like a girl and tripping over my shoelaces while adjuting my suspenders.

Yup. And my glasses kept falling off - thank God for scotch tape.

And don't lie, cheez - you always threw like a girl :)

::imagines future conversations:: "So you're gay AND a programmer, huh? Wow...I didn't know it was possible to be allergic to sports..."

Eibro
01-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
Ahhh...my mom does that to me.

"And this is my son Ken...he's good with computers.
::inane babble about how nice that is::
Why yes, he can do neat things, like what was that thing you showed me a few day ago, Ken?
me: Uhh...I didn't show you anything...
mom: Yes you did! That neat spinning box!
me: That was like a year ago...I don't do that anymore
mom: <disregards what I just said>
random person: So, you into computers, eh?
me: Yeah...I guess...whatever..."

And of course the next question is always, without fail...:

"So I guess you're not really a sports man, huh?"

And before I can answer, my mom always, also without fail, steps in to say:

"Oh no, not really.
Me: Mom, I spend about 2 hours a day playing basketball oustide..
Mom: <<blank stare>> So anyway, how are you doing <insert person's name here>"
Mmm that happens to me all too often...
I try to keep my "computer life" seperate from my "real life" but others always manage to bring it up. People always assume because i'm interested in computers I have no life, don't play sports or do anything else besides computers...

Yes, computers are a huge part of my life; albeit a secret part. When i'm asked what i'm interested in, the word "Computer" almost never comes up. I guess it depends who i'm talking to.

-KEN-
01-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Eibro
Mmm that happens to me all too often...
I try to keep my "computer life" seperate from my "real life" but others always manage to bring it up. People always assume because i'm interested in computers I have no life, don't play sports or do anything else besides computers...

Yes, computers are a huge part of my life; albeit a secret part. When i'm asked what i'm interested in, the word "Computer" almost never comes up. I guess it depends who i'm talking to.

Yup. You've got me described to a 'T', there. There are some people who I'm comfortable talking about it to, but with most of my friends or people I meet I say "Oh, you know, the usual...hanging with my friends...sports...basketball in particular...my car...".

Except with my best friend...we talk computers a lot. He always thought he was better with computers than me...and then he got AP Computer Programming with me...now every day I'm like "Who's your daddy?!" ::whip!:: "No! don't use goto you bastard!"

When I yelled at him about void main() he hit me :rolleyes:

I guess I never really tell anyone I know about computers because I'm afraid they'll form some stigma about me.

MethodMan
01-22-2003, 04:17 PM
I usually dont use the computer in the morning before I go to school, unless I have a late start. When I come home I usually go to computer after I eat, and am on it all day, depending on how much work I have, that is not on the computer.

RoD
01-22-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
Yup. And my glasses kept falling off - thank God for scotch tape.

And don't lie, cheez - you always threw like a girl :)

::imagines future conversations:: "So you're gay AND a programmer, huh? Wow...I didn't know it was possible to be allergic to sports..."

lmao, whenever i get introduced as the computer guy and they ask me to solve a problem, i tell em i already know what it is. I tell em i gave them a virus and if they press ctrl+alt+del they're screen will change or make a new window.......idiots.....

napkin111
01-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> "So I guess you're not really a sports man, huh?"

Yup, when I touched a keyboard for the first time, I started throwing like a girl and tripping over my shoelaces while adjuting my suspenders.

LOL!! ah, that was great.

I talk about computers about 50% of the time...regardless of who it is...either they respond and we have an intelligent conversation, or...they stare at me blankly...either way I enjoy it! :D Which brings me to my point: Don't be afraid of your computer geek heritage(or, erm...inclination)! Where the title computer geek proudly for tomorrow you shall rule the world! [really small font](maybe)[/really small font]

//napKIN

Waldo2k2
01-22-2003, 04:43 PM
we've got a nice upside-down pyramid going with that poll.....dang, i do 2-4.....I'd much rather go make out with my girlfriend than write a program.....;)

RoD
01-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Waldo2k2
we've got a nice upside-down pyramid going with that poll.....dang, i do 2-4.....I'd much rather go make out with my girlfriend than write a program.....;)

making out rox *drools* but your sis don't count *ZING*

jk.

Shadow
01-22-2003, 05:23 PM
> making out rox *drools* but your sis don't count *ZING*

foniks munkee
01-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Well, I only sleep about 6 hours a day, sometimes less - and I can't think of too much time I spend away from the computer. SO I guess the only time I am not on the computer is when I am driving to work (to be on a computer), going to the shop to buy cola - or in the Gym getting that bit of excercise that prevents me from shrivelling up from computer overuse.

I think a good poll would be "who gets physical problems from using computers too much?". My mousing arm is shot!

Waldo2k2
01-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by RoD
making out rox *drools* but your sis don't count *ZING*

jk.

lol, how original....but i dont' think that's acurate, I'm not from the south.

RoD
01-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Waldo2k2
lol, how original....but i dont' think that's acurate, I'm not from the south.

lmao, the force is strong with this one!

-KEN-
01-22-2003, 06:17 PM
>>I talk about computers about 50% of the time...regardless of who it is...either they respond and we have an intelligent conversation, or...they stare at me blankly<<

There we go, everybody - a great way to alienate your friends.

I couldn't talk about computers that much if I wanted to...I'd have nothing to say...except, maybe, "RAM everything! Even the gigabytes!"

Aran
01-22-2003, 06:54 PM
speaking of talking about computers...
A friend of mine is an IRC addict and a hardcore hardware diehard....core....uh... nerd. He's got a really monotonous voice and he tells the most boring stories in which he constantly curses.

wow.. i can't make a relevant or interesting post today, period.

RoD
01-22-2003, 07:01 PM
wow.. i can't make a relevant or interesting post today, period.



As opposed too......?


JK, welcome to the club :P

Eibro
01-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Lets see... 168 hours in a week
8 hour school days: * 5 days = 40;
168 - 40 = 128;
Sleep: 7 hours per night * 7 nights = 49;
128 - 49 = 79;
Hockey: 7 hours per week
79 - 7 = 72;
Gym: 1h 30m * 5.5 days per week = 7.15;
72 - 7.15 = 64.85;
Other stuff: 3 hours per day * 7 days = 21 hours;
64.85 - 21 = 43.85;
43.85/7 = 6.2 hours per day which I'm probably on the computer.

napkin111
01-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Wow, very precise Eibro.

Ken, usually I'm talking about games/how much better my computer is/new hardware/new software/funny stories about dumb people tinkering with hardware or software/etc. But yeah, when I run out of things to say and my 50% quota hasn't been reached for the day, I usually have to resort to yelling out "EMACHINES SUX!" or "NEVER USE LINUX!" (sometimes for variety I replace "LINUX" with "WINDOWS ME" Yup, its a glorious life being a computer geek.

oh yeah, and all my friends were either computer geeks from the start or I've turned them into computer geeks (well a couple are still computer geek wanna-be's)

//napKIN

-KEN-
01-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Eibro
Lets see... 168 hours in a week
8 hour school days: * 5 days = 40;
168 - 40 = 128;
Sleep: 7 hours per night * 7 nights = 49;
128 - 49 = 79;
Hockey: 7 hours per week
79 - 7 = 72;
Gym: 1h 30m * 5.5 days per week = 7.15;
72 - 7.15 = 64.85;
Other stuff: 3 hours per day * 7 days = 21 hours;
64.85 - 21 = 43.85;
43.85/7 = 6.2 hours per day which I'm probably on the computer.

Straight men definitely aren't that organized or precise;) :p

Hmm...I said 4 hours, but it's probably more.

RoD
01-23-2003, 02:43 PM
I average 8 hours a day on weekdays...

8 * 5 = 40;

then i get on at 8am usually weekends till around 9 at night, ie all day

14 * 2 = 28

Avg weekly: 68 hours. Wow, i'm on the comp and estimated 2.8 days out of the week....

Silvercord
01-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Holy crap I hope I'm not a bad programmer because I don't spend my entire life in front of the computer. I spend probably 2 hours a day programming, tops, if I have something to do or something new I want to learn.

Eibro
01-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Straight men definitely aren't that organized or precise
Then again; most straight men...
... nevermind.



Holy crap I hope I'm not a bad programmer because I don't spend my entire life in front of the computer. I spend probably 2 hours a day programming, tops, if I have something to do or something new I want to learn.

Haha, I doubt anyone here spends the entire duration programming. If you sit down for 2 hours and program per day, you're doing about as much as me.
The other 4.2 hours are spent... slacking off.

Cheeze-It
01-24-2003, 03:20 AM
During Summer Vacation (when I was in school), I would watch
TV 16 hours per day...

I can't stand being in front of a computer for more than 2 hours.
I get all cramped up...

frenchfry164
01-24-2003, 11:34 AM
During school year:

4-5 hours on weekdays, give or take. Sometimes less if I got homework.

12 hours on weekends

During summer:

16 hours a day

yeah, I guess you can say I'm a geek.
:D

Silvercord
01-24-2003, 04:29 PM
If you sit down for 2 hours and program per day, you're doing about as much as me.

Whew, I'm not a minority, IM NOT A MINORITY, WOOHOO! Thanks Eibro! (realizes then that he is still a computer dork).

Eibro what position do you play? I played ice hockey for about 6 years, I was goalie and Martin Brodeur of NJ Devils was my favorite player.

-KEN-
01-24-2003, 04:44 PM
>> slacking off.

Well I'm glad that my picture is going to some use :D