PDA

View Full Version : Linux is so sweet

face_master
01-18-2003, 06:47 PM
This is a Linux-apprieciation thread. Ive been playing around with linux for a few days and Ive got the hang of it now (I sort of know what im doing now). I dont do anything on Windows anymore exept for playing UT2003. I play all my music, do all my browsing and all my instant msging in Linux. Im running Linux off an old 4.3GB drive and have all my mp3s/music vids in a partition of C:

All of you Linux-deprived: GET LINUX BEFORE I SHOOT YOU!

PS it took effort for me to write this thread becuase ive gone over my 3GB internet usage for the month already so im capped @ 28.8k speeds untill the end of the month!!

//EDIT: Changed 'too' to 'took'

JoeSixpack
01-18-2003, 06:52 PM
>PS it too effort for me to write this thread becuase ive gone over my 3GB internet usage for the month already so im capped @ 28.8k speeds untill the end of the month!!<

Thank god for small mercies.

MethodMan
01-18-2003, 07:32 PM
This is my third every thread in linux. Its wicked, I agree. Are you accessing your mp3s from your windows drive? I too have mandrake on a seperate 4.3. How are you accessing them, if you are..

Thanks

face_master
01-18-2003, 07:39 PM
I used partition magic to create a small (1.4GB) partition of type FAT on my windows (C: ) drive. Then I mounted it at /mnt/bling in Linux and badabing I can access them.

But I have a problem. Can someone tell me how to give write access to the "other" (not root) user?

-KEN-
01-18-2003, 07:40 PM
>>How are you accessing them, if you are..

You have to mount your windows partition - check out http://www.geocities.com/tipsforlinux/articles/3.html or http://www.newtolinux.org.uk/tutorials/partition-mounting.shtml

face_master
01-18-2003, 07:46 PM
I found a way to mount it really easily. In Gnome, I went to Configuration > Hardware > Hardrake, selected the main drive, ran config tool, then mounted it from there.

civix
01-18-2003, 08:49 PM
I have linux (installed), but i really dont ever use it cuz i have a winmodem, and the linux-compatible modem is WAAY outta my price range.

Silvercord
01-18-2003, 11:01 PM
I never really liked linux...at all...any distribution (used red hat, mandrake, didnt' like em, sorry)

Vber
01-19-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by face_master
I found a way to mount it really easily. In Gnome, I went to Configuration > Hardware > Hardrake, selected the main drive, ran config tool, then mounted it from there.

Hmm, and if you want to mount them manually, just create some dir's to hold the windows partition, in my case:
/mnt/win_c and /mnt/win_e

After this edit the fstab file: /etc/fstab and add this lines at the bottom:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c defaults 0 0
mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/win_d defaults 0 0

It's not complicated, and this will help you when sometimes you'll need to work without the X server.

ammar
01-19-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by face_master
This is a Linux-apprieciation thread. Ive been playing around with linux for a few days and Ive got the hang of it now (I sort of know what im doing now). I dont do anything on Windows anymore exept for playing UT2003. I play all my music, do all my browsing and all my instant msging in Linux. Im running Linux off an old 4.3GB drive and have all my mp3s/music vids in a partition of C:

All of you Linux-deprived: GET LINUX BEFORE I SHOOT YOU!

PS it took effort for me to write this thread becuase ive gone over my 3GB internet usage for the month already so im capped @ 28.8k speeds untill the end of the month!!

//EDIT: Changed 'too' to 'took'

Are you using RedHat Linux or what?! Because I'm planning to install it on my computer.

Vber
01-19-2003, 06:48 AM
re you using RedHat Linux or what?! Because I'm planning to install it on my computer.

Do not install RH,and if you install, please install the 7.3 (Valhalla), and not the 8.0 (psyche).

My suggestion, if you are new to linux, install mandrake, or SuSE.

But if you want some chalenge using linux, try using Debian or Slackware.

Debian:
www.debia.org

Slackware:
www.slackware.org

Mandrake:
www.mandrake-linux.com

-KEN-
01-19-2003, 08:52 AM
>>and the linux-compatible modem is WAAY outta my price range.

I grabbed one for about 20-25$ at Office Depot - where are you looking for them?

RoD
01-19-2003, 08:55 AM
I run Mandrake 9.0, and i mounted my win the same way as FM

damonbrinkley
01-19-2003, 10:30 AM
The easiest way would be to add the two entries into your /etc/fstab file so that the Windows partitions get mounted automatically at boot.

RoD
01-19-2003, 12:21 PM
thats actually not a bad idea.

face_master
01-19-2003, 06:00 PM
You always need to have the last word, dont you RoD?

Leeman_s
01-19-2003, 09:20 PM
yeah i guess he does

Nutshell
01-20-2003, 02:26 AM
Ok everyone. I *love.......windows. I tried 3 distros of linux and i still think windows is very......*good. But one good thing bout linux is that it comes with a bunch of free software you can use, thats all. Ok.

ammar
01-20-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Vber
Do not install RH,and if you install, please install the 7.3 (Valhalla), and not the 8.0 (psyche).

My suggestion, if you are new to linux, install mandrake, or SuSE.

But if you want some chalenge using linux, try using Debian or Slackware.

Debian:
www.debia.org

Slackware:
www.slackware.org

Mandrake:
www.mandrake-linux.com

Thanks alot...

golfinguy4
01-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Ammar, you should check out www.linuxiso.org

Vber
01-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by golfinguy4
Ammar, you should check out www.linuxiso.org

Yeah, nice site, but if he needs to find more info about an specified distro, the best place to find it, it's on the distro main web-site.

Hmm, golfinguy4, where are you from?
You have in you avatar, "!amo futebol" and that's seems to be protuguese, am I right?

golfinguy4
01-20-2003, 05:10 PM
I'm American, but I like Spanish (which is what it is).