PDA

View Full Version : File & System/OS Management

Shadow
01-16-2003, 11:26 PM
I was just flipping through my hard drive after downloading vigorously for the past few days, and, I noticed that my hard drive was getting awfully messy.

Normally though, I always, or atleast try to, keep on top of the Windows Registry. I like to check, after say, 1 week, to see if all of the programs I have downloaded then uninstalled removed all of their registry keys from the registry. I also stay on top of msconfig, and disk clean up.

I use Windows Explorer for file management since it's strikingly similar to the old school "File Manager" back from Windows 3.11, which is what I was used to for quite some time. I have everything neatly organized. I have an emulation folder, and from there, it's split up into catagories. NES, SNES, Arcade, etc. I don't do that for music(mp3's) or videos(mpg's) but those DO get their own folder. I have a files folder(text, etc), and it's all neatly organized. I have my start menu, and favorites list, JUST how I want them...

... but after inspecting my hard drive just now, and noticing that I had 1.42 GB of files in the recylcing bin, I thought it was time to clean things up a bit. (I also have quite a few programs to uninstall).

This, made me wonder how tidy, or sloppy some of you keep your hard drives, and operating systems.

alpha
01-16-2003, 11:32 PM
hmmm...I'm somewhere in the middle of this poll. It is organized, and I try to stay on top of things, but registry stuff i usually don't do on a regular basis. Everything is how I want it, I have school files split up by first semester, second semester, then from there, by chapter(textbooks) or book(english class).

anyways, I really can't vote because my comp isn't completely spotless, nor is it completely messy.

Shadow
01-16-2003, 11:38 PM
Yeah, if you're in the middle, explain why.

*ClownPimp*
01-17-2003, 12:09 AM
The only thing thats organized is my mp3's (they better be, with over 70gigs!). Everything else is scattered all over the place.

Vber
01-17-2003, 06:38 AM
My HD is worst than a jungle.
Nothing is in the right place, every time I say to myself: "This time I'll organize, blah blah". After 2 days, all the HD is occuped and looks like a ... haven't words to explain this :D

MethodMan
01-17-2003, 08:42 AM
I would say the way I organize things is rather neat. I do run msconfig when things are in start up that I dont want, delte cache, cookies etc before I defrag, which I try to do about every month or so.

I dont touch registry though, and I have had bad experiences with add/remove programs, so I usually dont do that either.

My files are nicely put into their according folders, and my mp3s are all sorted according to artist/group.

-=SoKrA=-
01-17-2003, 11:34 AM
All the Hard Drives I use are just a mess. Every so often I reformat it and decide that this time I'm going to try and keep it very organized. I do so for a few days (sometimes even weeks) but after that I just create a bunch of folders and just put everything in them. I have to guess were they are and usually it takes me a few minutes to find a specific file. Once I had three folders with the exact same stuff unzipped. I found out later but couldn't be bothered fixing it.

Imperito
01-17-2003, 12:11 PM
I keep it very organized. Very nearly FHS compliant all the way, in fact. I like being able to know where something is before I have to look for it.

RoD
01-17-2003, 02:34 PM
spotless!

TravisS
01-17-2003, 02:40 PM
I'd say I'm kinda in the middle too, but I voted for jungle :D

All the files and stuff that I actually use on a regular basis is organized. I actually use My Documents :eek: because it makes it very very very easy to backup my data when I go to format. Everything inside of My Documents is organized in their own folders, except the 'stuff' and 'junk' folders which are obviously random things I have :).

I have a 'downloads' folder, and that is about the only thing that isn't in My Documents, and isn't even in Documents and Settings (95% of essential files between users on the computer are saved in there) but is instead on a seperate drive.

That's where the organization stops though... My second drive is my backup drive. And that is FAR from organized. I don't even want to think about how many duplicates of files I have on that drive. I have stuff on the drive going back as far as 2001, the last point from before I accidentally formated the wrong drive :mad: