PDA

View Full Version : Health of cprogramming.com (How is she?)

zahid
01-13-2003, 10:42 PM
I'm afraid, cboard is loosing members in recent time.
Or at least less posting in programming forums.

Any moderator can give us statistics on weekly/monthly posting ratio for last one/two year(s) compared to each forums?

Number of Active Members (Did post in last X days).

glowstick
01-13-2003, 11:32 PM
i registered at last august/spetember i think mainly for programming help.
i hung out in this forum for a couple of weeks and just got bored.
maybe if you guys allowed images in signatures id post more.
im shallow like that.

i just looked at my postcount.
looks like about70/80 has been trimmed off.
dont care anyway.

compjinx
01-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Hmmm, maybe if I could change my title(the little thing under my name, right?) I would post more :-D

When it comes to my title, yes, I am shallow like Zahid

fry
01-14-2003, 12:57 AM
maybe if you guys allowed images in signatures id post more.
Please no! I hate forums that do that. Makes everything to messy, things are too hard to read, and it interupts discusion :)

vasanth
01-14-2003, 03:10 AM
I dont thivk CP needs to use those methods to attract members.. There is no need to attract members.. this is not a commercial site... I think it is enough if people who require help use it.... Opinion may differ..

face_master
01-14-2003, 03:19 AM
If cprog was less upidy (my own word) all the time bout the content of posts. More like flashdaddee

rick barclay
01-14-2003, 03:26 AM
Complete statistics about this board's usage is provided by
cprog's web host, liquidweb.com. It is mind boggling, the
information the web admins have at their disposal. Posting it
where and how people can read and make sense of it, however, would take a good deal of time and effort.

adrianxw
01-14-2003, 03:47 AM
>>> If cprog was less upidy (my own word) all the time bout the content of posts.

CProgramming.com basic role is to provide help for people seeking it on matters relating to programming in the various C languages.

The was a demand many years ago, for a board that was not a programming help board, but a place where the "intelligent responsible" programming community could discuss other matters, this became the General Discussions board. (As a side note, I was against the idea because I thought it would be problematic - oh how wrong I was ).

The board attracts youngsters because they have programming problems, they venture into the cats litter tray that is GD, and someone is supposed to make sure that what they find there is "suitable" - that's us.

Sorry if you don't like it, but that is the way it is, and is going to be. You want a raucuous net hangout, go make one, you want to be here, you follow our rules.

>>> More like flashdaddee.

The people there must decide what happens there. We are not they, they are not us.

>>> It is mind boggling, the information the web admins have at their disposal.

Thats the problem with data, data != information!

rick barclay
01-14-2003, 05:05 AM
>Thats the problem with data, data != information!<

That's certainly true for some people in some situations, adrain.
I don't think too many here would be all that interested in
reading cprog's usage stats more than once, and not longer
than 45 seconds, at that! One other interesting thing about
liquidweb is that they will download ALL your stats to those
who wish to load this information into their own web usage
analyzers. I mean, they have a record of each and every post
for each and every thread recorded in that database. It's just
awesome what you can do if you really want to, not that I want
to. And there are also generalized statistics regarding usage
that I bet some members would find interesting, such as which
days of the week are busiest, which hours, months, etc.

RoD
01-14-2003, 05:11 AM
if members have gone down then we are weeding out the bad, i see no need for change.

rick barclay
01-14-2003, 05:18 AM
Yup. Bigger isn't necessarily better.

adrianxw
01-14-2003, 05:33 AM
Another issue is holiday seasons, there are always a lot more posts during school holidays because the kids have more time. I can't comment on the quality of the additional posts during those periods.

kermi3
01-14-2003, 06:10 AM
There are a lot more posts on the GD during school holidays (relitively). But when school picks up again, the number of posts on the programming boards will go up again...I wonder why...hmmm.

zahid
01-14-2003, 08:57 AM
ohh.. I did not request for any change.

I just pointed out the fact. And then we can investigate and take action if necessary.

I observed last few months GD is busy and lots serious programmers are busy with less important things (from the point of the board), this is because of .. .. i don't know.

Hay... what about contest and gift/award for the winner. It will be fun.

adrianxw
01-14-2003, 09:35 AM
>>> this is because of .. .. i don't know.

Yes you do! We all do, somebody has to keep their eye on the kids!

>>> what about contest and gift/award for the winner

This has been suggested before, indeed, I think the webmaster mentioned it if the financial condition of the board could stand it. My question is how this could be acheived given the board could afford it?

Shadow12345
01-14-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm even straying away from here. Too many newbies, other boards like gamedev have like 40,000 users, cboard has like what 6,250? Only a couple hundred post consistently. I feel bad for flashdaddee though, even less. I go and make a post there and it's up for a week before anyone responds, so I ditched that joint.

Govtcheez
01-14-2003, 01:46 PM
> so I ditched that joint.

Thanks for that, by the way.

You think a board w/ 40K isn't going to have a ton of newbies?

Shadow12345
01-14-2003, 01:50 PM
You think a board w/ 40K isn't going to have a ton of newbies?

But there are WAY more people that know what they're doing there. The ratios of newbies to intermediate to advanced never changes. Plus game programming seems to be something that fewer people actually get good at, so having an increased registered list is almost a requirement.

Thanks for that, by the way.

and as you said to me, this is me caring

and as I said to you before, touchy touchy

Shiro
01-14-2003, 02:00 PM
>Or at least less posting in programming forums.

I also noticed less postings the last time. Especially in the C board.

>Too many newbies, other boards like gamedev have like 40,000
>users, cboard has like what 6,250?

I agree with Govtcheez, when visiting other boards I notice that also there the majority of visitors are beginners. No problem with that, it is normal for programming boards. I think that the higher the number of visitors, the higher the percentage of them are beginners. The size does not tell about the quality.

>I go and make a post there and it's up for a week before anyone responds

Yes, I also noticed that the larger the board, the more posts and the longer it takes before you get a response. A big advantage of a relative small board as cprog is that it the number of posts every day is surveyable and the chance someone reads your post is much higher so the chance of a quick response is also high.

People who regularly post here only have to read a relative few new postings.

Govtcheez
01-14-2003, 02:09 PM
Also, no matter the board size, they all seem to have a salem/hammer/prelude/quzah guru that answers all the questions, so having more experts isn't necessarily a big advantage.

BMJ
01-14-2003, 02:13 PM
let's see... life is gettin busy, I haven't coded anything in months, and I have a business to start, and 2 websites to try to hold some maintainity (MY own word) on...

yep, I'm suprised I'm here now...

Shadow12345
01-14-2003, 04:02 PM
well then i take back what I said, in terms of programming I've gotten most of my help from cprog, in terms of game help i've gotten most of my help from gamedev, but i shouldn't be knocking cprog cuz it's my home and im about to get more programming help.

Eibro
01-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Yes, the newbies greatly outnumber the intermediate/advanced programmers on this board. I can think of one fix: remove the GD!

Shadow12345
01-14-2003, 04:35 PM
The C++ board would probably remove more...

Eibro
01-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Sure, albeit removing the purpose of this website.

As I see it, the general board hinders most peoples programming skill. Most come here for the programming, then they seep down into the General Discussions board and rot.

They stay here as long as their addiction holds them. After all, even if they're not interested in programming anymore (which a few members fall into) they still have the general board to come to and talk about normal things.

With no general board, people would spend less time on the general board, and more time... ...on the other boards; or, maybe even programming!

It saddens me to see people here with 1000+ posts and still unable to code very well. How can you spend so much time on a website called "cprogramming.com" and still know so little about programming? (Not directed at anyone in particular)
I myself have (tried, and somewhat succeeded) in cutting down on my posting, and increasing the amount of time I code/read/do other stuff.

Shadow12345
01-14-2003, 06:28 PM
The reason most of us dont' go to the C++ board is the questions are, for the most part, mundane. I've spoken with others and they agree that the C++ board is mostly filled with newbie questions. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I go in and I see the same questions over and over again, sometimes there is a new one but I never get there on time, someone else has always answered before me. I haven't posted on the C++ board for a few days because of this. But it's still there for when I need help, and every once in a whlie I get an answer in there before one of the gurus, but until I become more of a guru myself I doubt I'll be able to answer many questions before others.

Most of my problems now lie outside of programming errors, which is good because it shows I've learned programming. Rather they lie in 'external things' such as format layout of files, what is the most efficient way to do this, what is the mathematical formula necessary to do that, etc, etc.

yeah ill stfu now because everyone seems to hate shadow12345 (it's the banana)

Aran
01-14-2003, 07:59 PM
The game programming forum over here is simply a disgrace.

(that's why people interested in game programming should go over to my forums (http://www.conceptofzero.net/forums)!)

face_master
01-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Aran, your forums are less active than BMJ's!

adrianxw
01-15-2003, 02:47 AM
>>> the C++ board is mostly filled with newbie questions.

That really can't be much of a suprise. Programming, by it's very nature, is a lifelong learning experience. When people start out, they don't know what to do, or how to find things out, so they ask "newbie" questions on help boards.

With a little more experience, they learn how to RTFM, how to search google, (I mean what keywords they should search for - it comes with practice and experience), and their own level of confidence rises enough for them to try things for themselves without fear of "breaking" things.

face_master
01-15-2003, 03:11 AM
I usually only post when there have been no answers to the problem on the thread, but seeing as the answers are answered so quickly I hardly ever get a chance.

Shiro
01-15-2003, 12:04 PM
>I can think of one fix: remove the GD!

I wonder if that helps. Why do you think it would help? Assume there would be no GD, in my opinion the newbies who get here go to the other boards and keep asking the same questions.

rick barclay
01-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Show me a board that doesn't have a GD forum.

You can't.

An all-work-and-no-play-forum makes a dull programmer
even duller.

zahid
01-28-2003, 12:34 AM
So.. anyone of our moderators will give us an information about the member status of cprogramming.com?

The number of registered members active now:
if( Membership age >= 6months && Visited/posted in last 7days > 0 )

number_of_active_members = ?

Leeman_s
01-28-2003, 01:52 PM
I think school plays a role. I posted a lot more during the summer when I didn't have school. Also, I think a lot of the older members like to bash / flame the younger members like me and face_master. They need to get rid of their monster ego.

Govtcheez
01-28-2003, 01:55 PM
face_master gets flamed because he's very flameable. He seems to get a kick out of it, which is cool, because I enjoy flaming him.

You, on the other hand just ........ and moan when you don't get your way and continue to break the rules again and again after having been warned multiple times... The translation of this is "don't be too surprised if you can't sign on anymore in a few days".

Travis Dane
01-28-2003, 03:10 PM
I noticed that alot of members just ake up space, i mean, half
of the members have post counts of 2 or less. Thats just taking
up member names.

And i think alot of new members are repelled from this board
because of its strict rules, like asking for text color you get

"this has been asked before, use the search"

And hup, a lock on it.
Maybe whe should allow a little more flexibility or then again
maybe not.

damonbrinkley
01-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Leeman_s
I think school plays a role. I posted a lot more during the summer when I didn't have school. Also, I think a lot of the older members like to bash / flame the younger members like me and face_master. They need to get rid of their monster ego.

Stupid and immature posts receive stupid and immature replies from most people. There's two ways to solve that.

1) Get used to it

2) Grow up

Govtcheez
01-28-2003, 03:13 PM
> And i think alot of new members are repelled from this board
because of its strict rules, like asking for text color you get

Well, that's a cryin' shame. The text color's in the FAQ, which all new members are supposed to read before posting.

Travis Dane
01-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
the FAQ, which all new members are supposed to read before posting.

I din't read that anywhere, ofcourse if you're smart you do so,
but you might just want to bash the FAQ in the users face.