PDA

View Full Version : How do you treat you computer?

FearOfTheDark
01-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Today when I was sitting infront of my brand new computer, and trying to install a firewall, it suddenly struck me how bad we treat our best friends, the computers!
I mean when my computer got ****ed up for the 4th time during the intallation, I found my self saying words that I didn't think existed in my vacabulary!

Perhaps we should try to treat our computers with more dignity! I mean, in the future when the computers take controll of the world, how will they treat us, after what we've been doing to them during the years?!

And don't say that I didn't warn you! :-)

minesweeper
01-10-2003, 02:11 PM
I treat mine like gold. It has about 30,000 words worth of university assignments and my 2000 line (currently) final year project Win32 application on it. So it kind of has me by the testacles. :D

Travis Dane
01-10-2003, 02:16 PM
It's youR ;) ,

I treat my computer as my best friend......no comment....,
I always keep my drivers nice up to date, choosing the best
for my pc, keeping its hdd clean, keep the hardware cool and
clean, and happy to say it works superb,
Never EVER crashed anymore

I've seen some people litteraly kicking their case of the pc was
slow at some times, really made me angry, dont think those
people understand too much about the dellicat hardware of
a pc.

Govtcheez
01-10-2003, 02:17 PM
> litteraly

It's literally :)

> dellicat

It's delicate ;)

My computer will live in fear of me - I've beaten it into submission.

RoD
01-10-2003, 02:29 PM
My pc has a broken Bezel(plastic cover on front), has had several HDD, and is coverd with stickers....you tell me :P

Travis Dane
01-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> litteraly

It's literally :)

> dellicat

It's delicate ;)

Thx, i knew they where wrong but i couldn't seem to get it right

adrianxw
01-10-2003, 02:36 PM
I treat my computers in exactly the way they deserve to be treated, as innanimate tools that do what they are told however contra to my expectations that may be.

The help desks at the various software/service providers, now that's different.

Shadow
01-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
I've seen some people litteraly kicking their case of the pc was
a pc. [/B]A - The hard drive that's in my DOS box has been in trucks, car seats, and I've dropped it(hard drive from 1991). The entire computer setup's hardware isn't in a case yet because I'm finalizing the setup for the DOS box and I like the fact of quick access, so I have all the boards and power supply out in the open on a desk.

B -
When I installed all the hardware into my up-to-date, new age computer, I banged my way through the setup..the only thing that's hooked up to the motherboard from the case is the power switch, all the leds are not. ugh, half the box isn't working..i'm lazy..btw, i'm posting from computer B.

I'll saw the soundcard off an old useless mother board if I need it for something. (with an old fashioned hacksaw)

Delicate my ass.

Brian
01-10-2003, 02:45 PM
I've learnt to control myself, but I used to kick my computer when it wasn't working shouting things such as "farking firewall" or "poxy proxy".

MethodMan
01-10-2003, 02:54 PM
My old hunk of junk 486 was a workhorse. I never put it to sleep, it just stayed on forever.

I treat all my computers with respect. I dont think I have ever kicked, or hit them. I even give it a kiss goodnite before I put it to sleep. ;) Its always there for me on those late night projects too. Its a great machine.

-=SoKrA=-
01-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Now I'm using a laptop becouse I'm spending a year in England, but back home, when it went a bit slow (according to my calculations, not neccessarily accurate) I usually gave it a slap (on the opposite side to the motherboard). Not that it really helped but it hept me busy for a couple of secs. I fill all the HD's I use with junk (arguably), from time to time I decide to clean it up but I can't really clean up that much space.
It's built mainly for gaming so I expect from it a fast response anyway, now I don't have much chance of it becouse I'm home a week every two months or so. I should probably start to clean this laptop as well, it's starting to be rather slow.

itld
01-10-2003, 04:44 PM
howdy,
i treat the box proper very gently but the mouse has been body slamed a few times and several of the keys on my KB have been struck with excessive force.
funny thing though banging the mouse on the table and poking the hell out of the key board didnt fix the problem - i dont get it.

M.R.

face_master
01-10-2003, 08:55 PM
I shout at my computer constantly. My mum is starting to get suspicious.

BMJ
01-10-2003, 09:10 PM
I don't yell at my computer, I yell at software, and the fools who wrote it.

face_master
01-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by BMJ
I don't yell at my computer, I yell at software, and the fools who wrote it. Yeah I yell at my compiler the most.

"Fscking compile!!!"

-KEN-
01-10-2003, 10:12 PM
>>I've seen some people litteraly kicking their case of the pc was
a pc.<<

Please. Go stick it in a floppy drive if you love your computer that much. My old computer I used to beat the crud out of. I used to kick it in (there were marks on the side of the case) when it would go slow or make that anoying clicking noise...

I hate computers.

Aran
01-10-2003, 10:24 PM
and i hate you. :D

two liner!

valar_king
01-10-2003, 11:17 PM
My PC's injuries:
1: CDROM drive was slammed shut, resulted in a bad jam, it had to be replaced.
2: Constant kicking.
3: Constant slamming against the desk.
4: Space bar was stuck for awhile because it got hit by a fist going at 900 MPH.
5: When I was two I shoved stuff in my Dad's PC and ejected floppies in the middle of transfers. (ducks)

My PC knows and fears my name.
I make sure to kick it if it hangs.

Aran
01-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by valar_king
My PC's injuries:
4: Space bar was stuck for awhile because it got hit by a fist going at 900 MPH.

you have great accuracy and power.

may i suggest boxing?

valar_king
01-10-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Aran Elus
you have great accuracy and power.

may i suggest boxing?

You may indeed, but I'm afraid boxing won't be my career choice, because my computer doesn't hit back!

joshdick
01-11-2003, 12:50 AM
I think I treat my computer about how it should be. I have a good deal of respect for it. My computer and I realize that it has certain limitations that must be taken into consideration: 56K modem, 32Mb memory, 300MHz processor, etc. I try to be mindful and understanding of what my computer can and cannot do, but sometimes I forget, and consequently, my computer reminds me by freezing up. I usually don't get too ........ed; I just reboot.

I try to take care of my computer by installing software that works well with it. This is harder than it sounds, because I cannot simply download the newest and biggest programs for it. I must take into account how long a program will take to download, how large it is, and how well it will run on this somewhat dated machine. I also try to take care of my computer by deleting or disabling useless stuff.

It really kind of sucks that I can't do everything that I want to do with my computer. This iBook is on extended loan from my school for the purpose of an online history course [yawn]. What ended up happening is that I downloaded AIM, a few browsers, a compiler, and some little games. There's a lot more exploring and experimenting I would do if only I had all of the software available to reinstall and I didn't have to worry about how the school district will look on this. Oh well. Soon, hopefully, I'll get a new computer and then the real fun can begin. Ah, Linux. I can't wait.

ammar
01-11-2003, 02:13 AM
My computer is my friend, I like it very much especially the notebook, it was always with me in the university, and we had a great time together...
A computer is man's best friend!

Scourfish
01-11-2003, 03:03 AM
I treat mine like a dog; It it's bad, I beat it with a rolled up newspaper.

Travis Dane
01-11-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by -KEN-
I hate computers.

Shout that out loud when you're lying on a computer in the
hospital and tell us what happened.

-KEN-
01-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
Shout that out loud when you're lying on a computer in the
hospital and tell us what happened.

Unless my doctor/nurse is an android, I really doubt anything would..

I hate hospitals, too.

Travis Dane
01-11-2003, 09:09 AM
What i ment was, that a hospital is crawling with computers as
well, instensive care for instance, computers save lifes! and
will take them as soon as Terminator is invented:)

valar_king
01-11-2003, 06:11 PM
You just have to loosen it up.
http://www.dinside.no/dh_bilde/39631.jpg

-KEN-
01-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by valar_king
You just have to loosen it up.
http://www.dinside.no/dh_bilde/39631.jpg

Mmm....is that a Labatt I see in that picture? ::drools::. That reminds me, I've got 3 left from New Years that need polishing off tonight...yum...thanks for the reminder!

-=SoKrA=-
01-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Maybe if you share the beer with the computer it might thank you by not giving any errors on compile.
Or it might just blow up (I think this is compiler specific) :D

BTW, if you think this post is stupid it probably is. But take in consieration it's half past midnight and I've been sat in front of this thing since 11am

TODO: Get a life!

face_master
01-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
Mmm....is that a Labatt I see in that picture? ::drools::. That reminds me, I've got 3 left from New Years that need polishing off tonight...yum...thanks for the reminder! You have alcohol left, and its not drunk already? :eek: Its a strange world you must live in...

Wait a sec, im being an 'elitest' again. Yes, Im admitting my problem (again). Remember that thread? Wait you said my problem was different. Hrm. Im plenty confused. Where am I?

-KEN-
01-11-2003, 10:36 PM
>>Wait a sec, im being an 'elitest' again.

No, no you aren't...

>>Where am I?

About to be told to STFU......STFU. There. All done.

>>You have alcohol left, and its not drunk already?

Well it is NOW...it's been at this girl's house for like a week...anyway, you're what? Like 10? you shouldn't be talking about alcohol.

RoD
01-11-2003, 10:39 PM
can't we all just get along??? :P

DavidP
01-11-2003, 10:58 PM
i treat my computer with respectful disgust ;)

face_master
01-12-2003, 01:52 AM
Well it is NOW...it's been at this girl's house for like a week...anyway, you're what? Like 10? you shouldn't be talking about alcoholThats 11, mate.

rick barclay
01-12-2003, 05:27 AM
I read an article once that claimed this guy who lived in New
Brunswick N.J. got so urinated with his computer that he took a
gun and shot it. Cops came for him. Poor guy, I can sympathize
with him, too, because this happened back in 286 days, dos 3.1,
and all that conjures.

adrianxw
01-12-2003, 06:47 AM
Hmmm, I can see how...

>>> share the beer with the computer

... might account for it, but in general terms I can't see how using a computer could...

>>> got so urinated with his computer

... infuriated perhaps!

face_master
01-12-2003, 06:51 AM
For a second I thought u meant that he urinated on his comp.

ALl this stuff we do to our computer is just to the case. What if we had a really good shock-proof case? We could kick the living shat out it.

-=SoKrA=-
01-12-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw

... infuriated perhaps!
He might acutually mean he urinated on the computer. It refused to work after that and so he shot it...

Fountain
01-12-2003, 05:33 PM
He shot it? Damn it I just got a flashy new metal case for mine. No shooting for me then-may do me more damage.

Anyhow, my PC gets the respect it deserves-If it behaves we are cool. If not some device is for the chop. Mouse is next in line I believe.

RoD
01-12-2003, 05:59 PM
No hitting when i get my new case, anyone whos seen it in my thread in tech forum knows why, its hott and will be worth the $$ i spent : )

Fountain
01-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Ummm b4 when I said metal-I KNOW they are all metal. I meant silver aliminium jobby. Just to clear that up!

RoD
01-12-2003, 06:26 PM
http://www.colorcases.com/cases/cases.html

mine is in the top row, right side, the z-extreme.

rick barclay
01-13-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw
Hmmm, I can see how...

... infuriated perhaps!

he got so ........ed at it...He had written a program but couldn't
get his code to do what he wanted it to, so he shot it.

ober
01-13-2003, 07:33 AM
mine probably hates me...

I don't have proper cooling, I make it be naked to the world, I curse at it when it doesn't do what I want, I don't ever compliment it...

I mean seriously... it's a hunk of metal... it doesn't like me? I grab it by the balls and give a good tug. :)

jessie23
01-13-2003, 09:25 AM
i try to be nice to mine but sometimes it is just impossible. if it doesnt behave though ill turn it off for a week and play my gamecube. so hah!

rick barclay
01-14-2003, 03:31 AM
It's really not how WE treat our computers that's relevent here.
It's, rather, how our computers treat US.

Mine gives me a big headache.

face_master
01-14-2003, 03:40 AM
Its not really the computer. The computer's calculations are perfect, its just the way the software (be it the OS or the applications) uses them to give us our end result (usually your computer begging on its knees)

Govtcheez
01-14-2003, 07:15 AM
> its just the way the software

Yeah, but it's all contained in one easy-to-hit box. It's easier to smack the case than to hit an individual section of the HDD.