PDA

View Full Version : What age you started our interest in programming

face_master
01-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Hey, I know im not really one to start useless polls, but I am just interested in this. Answer!\

I added mine of 13

DarkViper
01-07-2003, 07:27 PM
i was 2 years old when i started to program my dads old Commodore 64 machine. i made my own scrensaver when i was about 5. coded purely by hand, i think it was in BASIC, but im not sure. so i cant tell what it was. then i decided to hook my sega up to the computer and i accidnetly fried it :( oh well, we got a Dexton Computers computer equipped with 95 for free from my dads work! :D

alpha
01-07-2003, 07:28 PM
I'm not quite sure, but I believe I was 13. I said thirteen because that was when I started developing an interest in programming, started VB3, but then I laid back for a while, then I got back into it with my c++ class my second semester of junior year. now my interest is growing, and i am most likely going to major in computer engineering. hehe, if i could, i would only take three classes for my last semester of high school, ap calc, ap physics, and apcs. but i need the credits of five.:(

Polymorphic OOP
01-07-2003, 07:55 PM
I always wanted to be a programmer. I grew up on the King's Quest series. King's Quest 1 taught me to read and write -- it's one of my earliest memories. Ever since then I wanted to program games, which is kind of funny considering I didn't actually start programming until last year.

Shadow12345
01-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Ever since then I wanted to program games, which is kind of funny considering I didn't actually start programming until last year.

same with me except poly's a year older than me (I think) which sucks because you would expect him to have 5 years or more on me judging skill level :(

MethodMan
01-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Well I didnt really start liking programming until last year when I started Comp Sci. I didnt really have any prior programming knowledge, but I have learned a great deal, and its been a great experience.

So for the record 20.

I guess you can say this about a lot of careers. The more you study, the more you realize how much you dont know. :D

civix
01-07-2003, 09:57 PM
I started into HTML at 10. After awhile when I got HTML figured out pretty damn good, I found this big thing I wanted to do was to make "cool computer programs" so I searched google and found a bunch of sites, and found out I had to use some extraterrestrial device called a "compiler" and some weird geeky code that had lots of math in it to make "cool computer programs".
After realizing this, I decided not to start learning, and 2 years later, as a teenager who could manipulate numbers better than an 11-year-old found a miraculous website called cprogramming with lots of neat tutorials and cool people that would help me with my problems. I stayed with them for about 6 months, and I am still with them, watching, learning, and being a computer programmer.

Well, thats my story, and I hope you enjoyed reading it. I have more of my nutty cprog antics if you wanna PM me, lol. You may also buy my book, which contains lots of dumb computer things i've done for only $69.95! Call 1-800-this-number-is-fake and order today!

Klinerr1
01-07-2003, 09:59 PM
either 8-9 bielive it or not (yeah us cool anti socials get head starts on these things :p )

Aran
01-07-2003, 10:05 PM
i was 14 when i wanted to start.

I started the summer of my 15th year of life.

alpha
01-07-2003, 10:09 PM
well, I guess if you include html, my programming has been ongoing since about 11 or 12. but i always included html as web design and not programming.

abrege
01-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Wow, three polls in a row :eek:

vote 12

zahid
01-07-2003, 10:20 PM
I started when I was 22 ..

I know it was late.......

Waldo2k2
01-07-2003, 10:35 PM
I started when I was 6.
Did some wiring on some crap (set included how to make cheap transistor radios, lcd displays, etc), then I wanted to know how dad wired stuff that moved (he did machines for automation). Basically he told me that it wasn't just wired, it used something called a microcontroller, just like the 386 we had, only smaller and faster. He taught me how to code ladder logic (if power gets to here, turn this on, do a timer here, do this that and the other thing, cycle again). I didn't touch it for years after that, got into html at 14, then I've moved on since then, i've got about 6 languages squarely under my belt, some others I can just toy around with. And recently I've gotten back into ladder logic for work, taking some of the load off of dad.

glowstick
01-07-2003, 11:23 PM
dont know how old i was.
did some vb 5.0 my sophmore year in high school.
maybe it was my junior year.
i learned basic, html, and java on my own.
guess maybe 15 or 16.

Scourfish
01-08-2003, 03:12 AM
2 and a half years old. Of course, all I could do back then was cobol and assembly.

fry
01-08-2003, 05:08 AM
8 or 9. My first program was copied out of a book i borrowed from the local library. It was a guessing number game on my nice Amstrad :) Thats about 10 years ago now. I was always interested in computers since i first used them. Dunno why.

RoD
01-08-2003, 05:14 AM
HTML - 10yrs
VB - 16
PERL - 16
C++ - 17+

ammar
01-08-2003, 05:17 AM
I started programming about three years ago when I was 16, and it was in Visual Basic, then I stopped for about a year, then I started C++ in the university, when I was about 18... I'm now becomming 19 and I'm still programming in C++, I like it very much...

ober
01-08-2003, 07:39 AM
well... considering the fact that I didn't really play with a computer until I was about 16... I didn't even know that I could program... so.. I guess about 18 or so.. that was 5 years ago... I'd say I've learned a lot in 5 years...

Govtcheez
01-08-2003, 07:41 AM
I've always been interested in computers... I did some BASIC stuff when I was like 8, but didn't really do anything else until I took Pascal in 10th grade.

I'd really like to see some older members' replies, especially those that didn't have the benefit of always having a PC around.

deathstryke
01-08-2003, 08:11 AM
I was around 8 or so. My GATE class (a weekly class for smart people) did a little with basic on some apple IIs. I don't recall having gotten much beyond the print command back then, though.

Sang-drax
01-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Don't know, really.

I was fiddling with writeln very early on an old Pascal compiler, if you call that programming.

Fordy
01-08-2003, 02:09 PM
I was Charles Babbage in a previous life.......

Govtcheez
01-08-2003, 02:12 PM
I invented the abacus in a past life - what's your point?

Scourfish
01-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Ken Fitlike
I was a foetus when I first got interested in computers ( actually I was only an eight-cell embryo for the pedants among you). Yes, those were the days, within the gurgling comfort of the womb as I listened to the whirr of the data disks with my undifferentiated ear while mummy made cups of tea next to the big machine that made holes in all those punch cards.

Hah! I was only a two cell embryo, and at that time I couldn't program, but I could hack the whitehouse. I was the one who made reagan's computer send a message to the pentagon to screw with Iran!

compjinx
01-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Well, I always considered computers as nothing more than a versatile calculator with a color display (that was when I was 10ish and my family had gotten our first computer, a laptop).

The more I used computers the more I learned about them, I got a CD full of "shareware games", man, all the stuff I learned from trying to install loads of buggy and poorly designed games.

Then one day(actually over a period of several days) I read the users guide to the toshiba laptop, front to back (almost). From then on I did more and more with the computer, I picked up HTML after a while (11-12?). After a while I decided I must learn a programming language so that I may be able to create programs that can control this beast I have for so long faught. I ran around a little, looking at various options, then I found that the command line compiler from Borland was free so I picked that up, along with some dummy books, and started coding.
I moved on to the Borland compiler (the GUI one) and then to DevC++ when I started to want to take over peoples screens.

here I am now! 15

PJYelton
01-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Programmed Basic on my old Apple IIC when I was about 6, stopped around high school, and recently picked up programming again about 6 months ago.

salvelinus
01-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Did some, I think Basic, in the late 70's, but didn't get more involved till early-mid 90's, more serious in late 90's.
Can remember when there was no WWW, and WAIS was going to be the next big thing. Gopher, Archie, etc...