PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Microsofts new OS, LongHorn XP

DarkViper
01-07-2003, 02:50 PM
http://picdump.dhs.org/gallery/album68

im sure youll be amused by this, WHY ARE THEY SO DETERMINED TO MAKE THE LOOK MORE KIDDISH than it already is! i mean, your running a professional buisness, but you are running a kiddish looking os? i mean come on, LongHorn is (i admit) a cool name, Microsoft Longhorn XP, but the look is even more kiddish. but there are some things that just plainly look cool, like the big clock to the right side!

Klinerr1
01-07-2003, 02:53 PM
i know right? thats why i like to use the regular windows 95/98/me schemes not the gay xp ones.

btw. format ur code **** in ur sig like you would in c++ so its easier to read.

RoD
01-07-2003, 03:31 PM
I for one like some of it, actually. And thats not the only new o/s, to be released first (if your a fellow mbt you already have RC2) is Windows .NET.

Buggy but looks promising with some changes.

DarkViper
01-07-2003, 04:00 PM
well i have windows 98, and the most updated windows im gonna get is XP, ONLY because it comes with the new computer im getting!

RoD
01-07-2003, 04:02 PM
When i had 98 i refused to adapt into XP. Then once i got xp, i swore i'd never go back. Some hate it, others love it. I can say that theres a minimal 65% chance i'll upgrade to .NET when its officially released.

Waldo2k2
01-07-2003, 04:15 PM
What's the point of a new OS so soon after XP and .NET? What market is this thing supposed to target? 2000/XP Professional already rule the business world and 2000 Server and soon to be .NET will run the servers. XP Home and 9x are all over the standard user market....what is this supposed to target? Personally I think it's really really a HUGE waste of time unless they allow near full customization of the user interface, THEN I could see it as a target for businesses. But otherwise, it's a lame attempt to make more money.

Klinerr1
01-07-2003, 04:19 PM
why isnt my sig showing?

RoD
01-07-2003, 04:28 PM
your sig is showing.

Its more of a mobile based o/s. They want to target laptop and mobile buisnessmen more effeciently, so they are with longhorn AFAIK; btw its a gay name (no offense anyone)

face_master
01-07-2003, 05:21 PM
I just like XP becuase I love the way it handles external devices. Like, when I plug in my modem, it just detetcts it and it works.

RoD
01-07-2003, 05:30 PM
also has awsome driver support.

Hammer
01-07-2003, 05:40 PM
>>but you are running a kiddish looking os?
Personally, I don't care how it starts out looking, its going to be customisable, so whats the problem.

All I want is a stable machine that

- doesn't need me to buy more HD space everytime I want to upgrade the software
- doesn't need rebooting after I changed the smallest setting
- doesn't have an OS that eats RAM like there's no tomorrow
- will run all my software (games and apps) without complaining about some video driver that's more than 2 days old and is therefore out of date.
- will actually give you error messages that mean something useful, instead of simply dumping core memory.
- doesn't need to be patched every 30 seconds

damn, I could go on, but this is turning into a sarcastic rant, and that wasn't my original intention. :rolleyes: :D

Shadow
01-07-2003, 05:41 PM
I second that face_master.

I swap around a printer, mp3 player, a digital camera back and forth regularly due to lack of ports on the family pc.

Plays a sound and notices when hardware is unplugged, and then when hardware gets plugged in again.

Unplug it, plug the new one in, you're ready to go.

DarkViper
01-07-2003, 06:38 PM
its called plug and play.

and as far as i can remember, it does the same thing with me, and my 98. i plug in a webcam, its ready to use.

see when i got my computer, it was TOP-NOTCH technology in 95, which is when i got it. so it came with windows 95 and a few microsoft apps. before that, i only though of macs as a more user-frienly machine than an actual OS, and i though UNIX (due to the way the name sounds) felt to me like an old metal cased computer from something like the stone age! i had no clue it was an OS, so i though Microsoft was da bomb!

but now my options are open, and i plan on getting a dual boot, ill do all my programming on the latest mandrake linux (im getting mandrake due to i cant find red-hat or slackware, or any others on any shelves, and i dont buy online) to do all my programming, and ill use winXP to do my gaming and animation (ie. Macromedia Flash MX)

LongHorn, now that i think about it, sounds like it should be in the western age. but i think theyre tyring to attract more western people (like, old western people, like my uncle mel) into thinking that Longhorn (and having a bulls head for a logo) will get them into it. thats what i think. it still has a sucky name come to think of it.

TravisS
01-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Hmmmz, just like other pictures of "Longhorn", I don't believe these are 100% real either.

The only thing that looks genuine to me is the nifty little bar that is in a few of the screen shots. Like a second taskbar or something. Has the clock, quicklaunch, etc... you know what I'm talking about :)

EdwardR
01-07-2003, 09:10 PM
"like the big clock to the right side"

lol i read that wrong the first time....missed the L

civix
01-07-2003, 09:25 PM
I dont think im even gonna bother with it. Or Maybe i'll get it so I can rub it in the faces of my friends. Yeah. Thats it.

Klinerr1
01-07-2003, 09:40 PM
lol:p :p :D :D :p :p

RoD
01-08-2003, 05:01 AM
>>if i remember it works the same with me, and my 98.

Not quite; See in windows ME and 98, your for the most part required to have the drivers for the device, usb or not. With windows XP's impressive (imo) driver support, you can take your digital camera, for example, plug it into a fresh xp install, and it will auto install it for you.

I love xp, aside from the features, its stable as all hell.

ammar
01-08-2003, 05:21 AM
Great, I'm sure this OS is going to be great...
I use XP, and I like it!
When this Longhorn is availiable I'll get it!

ober
01-08-2003, 07:36 AM
umm... looks like XP now with a Thinger... (like winamp 3)

ober
01-08-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by civix
I dont think im even gonna bother with it. Or Maybe i'll get it so I can rub it in the faces of my friends. Yeah. Thats it.

This coming from a guy that is dual booting with ME.. you, of all people, should be offered a free version...

Govtcheez
01-08-2003, 07:38 AM
I think it looks pretty slick... If you think it's too kiddie-ish, use the options to change it back to what you're used to. My only complaints with XP are that there are too many wizards and the fact that transparent windows would be nice. Anyone know of a program that I can get these with?

tgm
01-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Starts to look similar to KDE IMHO. Too bad they still have that stupid 'Start' button. Seriously, they should just get rid it already. Just make it the windows logo (like on many keyboards) and be rid of it. And give me the ability to customize my desktop (like GNUStep or something); I think Microsoft should allow more desktop flexibility. Maybe they'll pick up some stuff from the *nix world.

DarkViper
01-08-2003, 10:35 AM
god i hope it can be customized, i mean im getting so annoyed with the fact that theres no REAL flexability with windows. im not sure about mac or linux, but im sure with linux you can customize they way it looks more than windows. i mean, i dont mind the windows feel, but id like to be able to make my own icons, customize the colors (a little more than they allow) and other junk. XP came with all the original preset windows 9x and 2k looks, but the XP looks were like, Blue Gel, Silver, and Olive? wtf? only 3 preset colors!!! come on bill! get a brain!

Govtcheez
01-08-2003, 10:47 AM
> id like to be able to make my own icons

::shakes head::

You know...

Never mind.

> customize the colors (a little more than they allow)

What do you want to customize that you can't?

-KEN-
01-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> id like to be able to make my own icons

::shakes head::

You know...

Never mind.

> customize the colors (a little more than they allow)

What do you want to customize that you can't?

I felt the same way when I read that. Sounds like so many of the Linux people I've met (remember good ol' YPN? :)) " Hey, look! A band wagon! Let's all hop on...!"

>>The only thing that looks genuine to me is the nifty little bar that is in a few of the screen shots. Like a second taskbar or something. Has the clock, quicklaunch, etc... you know what I'm talking about <<

I read somewhere (and for some reason feel like there was a link onto a download @ microsoft.com) that the bar is already out as an add-on to XP.

RoD
01-08-2003, 07:51 PM
well govt, you can get see thru menus and stuff with the shell SharpE, it coexists with explore'r, its pretty slick. Heres a link and partial SS of it on mine:

www.lowdimension.net

Leeman_s
01-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Computers used to only be used by techies, or whatever you might call them. You could feel GOOD to use computers, know that you were ahead of everyone else.

Now, Microsoft is making it easier to use for regular people, and then don't really know what's going on behind all the kiddish-looking fancy backgrounds and GUI. People like that are a disgrace to computers!

That's it, I'm switching to RedHat!

RoD
01-08-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm a mandrake person myself, currently thinking of trying Lindows

face_master
01-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Lindows looks nice, but I'll bet its a waste of time. Same reason I'm too lazy to install Linux: what am I gonna do with Linux that I dont already do on Windows?