PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Top Programming Languages Companies Need :: Inbelievable!

kuphryn
01-05-2003, 10:59 AM
I saw a link to a website that list an analysis of what companies are current looking for in a programmer in terms of programming language. The site owner conducted job searched at Monster.com, Hotjobs.com, and Dice.com.

http://www.bitbreather.com/programming_languages.html

Source SlashDot:
http://slashdot.org/

I cannot believe companies utilize Java more than C++. Why? C++ to my knowledge, experience, and understand is currently the most extensible programming lanaguage available.

Kuphryn

Shiro
01-05-2003, 11:18 AM
I recently visited a presentation of the part of our company involved in office software, things like databases, e-commerce software and that kind of things. I noted there .NET and Java are the main technologies. The reason why in that part of the market Java is used more than .NET is that Java is available for a lot more platforms. That explains that Java is currently used a bit more than C#.

I'm working at the part of the company working on embedded systems, also here Java is used a lot. There are new things like real-time Java, which is a kind of Java in which one can turn off the garbage collector to ensure real-time behaviour. Also JVM's are easy to apply and there are Java processors, JVM's implemented in hardware.

Java in embedded systems is mostly used for writing applications, for example the telephone book on your mobile phone, games and other nice things. The main advantage of using Java here is remote updating of software. If you have a JVM run on a piece of electronics, you can send a Java bytecode application to it and just run.

But Java is used for applications. There are JVM's written in Java, but most software beneath the JVM layer, like the OS layer is still written in C or C++.

So Java has entered the embedded systems market. As I already pointed out, Java is applied for creating applications. If you buy a mobile phone, then you probably have that phone for several years. But there are a lot of people who always want the latest features on their phones, the latest phone books, the latest games etc. And that is where the companies get their money from, to create and maintain all those applications requires the companies to have Java programmers.

Also since Java is quite new, there is need for Java programmers. Most companies already have C++ and C programmers.

It is all about money.

kuphryn
01-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Also since Java is quite new, there is need for Java programmers. Most companies already have C++ and C programmers.

It is all about money.

Excellent analysis!!! I missed the point about Java lifetime.

Kuphryn

RoD
01-05-2003, 12:14 PM
I plan to get into java as a side thing, to have it behind me as a language with the few others i know, but am much to involved in c++ to do that now.

zTerrance
01-05-2003, 12:29 PM
I was told by a few people that c++ people with Java experience are usually hired over Java people for java positions.

Interesting.

Anyways, ride-or-die, you should stick with c++ if you can imho.

kuphryn
01-05-2003, 01:22 PM
The issue of cost is quite scary for most programmers in the future. For example, business is about making money. Making money means choosing hte best solution based on cost. What if one day Microsoft releases a developer solution such that one function call creates a full-scale web browse (one example)? What will happen to developers? Heck, by that time anyone can develop applications. Just cut-paste one function call!

Kuphryn

Yawgmoth
01-05-2003, 03:58 PM
One function making a web browser??!! There would be no low-level control over the features of the web browser tho. THAT's why we have developers.

Prelude
01-05-2003, 04:03 PM
>Just cut-paste one function call!
If it were so easy they wouldn't need something as complicated as a human being to do it, would they?

-Prelude

Waldo2k2
01-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Demand!=Money;

I noticed that LabView is way down on the list...however labview programmers are very hard to come by (mainly cause the software costs 5000 dollars for a single liscence copy). And they are paid big big bucks. I have used labview before on a project at work, and let me tell you it is some powerful shiznit.

RoD
01-05-2003, 05:20 PM
just wait till face sees this thread, hes so anti java it scares me.

Terrance11
01-05-2003, 07:20 PM
I have a friend who's into labview. He's a test engineer, and makes around 50k a year.

I think labviews mostly used for test and software engineers.

Commander
01-05-2003, 09:49 PM
that's it!!!!!!

this world has gone nuts....

and i'm following....
ASP, here i come!!!!

face_master
01-05-2003, 10:06 PM
How the hell could Java be before C++??? Has the world gone mad??? FAr out. !!

AHH!!!!!!

*runs out of the room screaming*

Scourfish
01-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by face_master
How the hell could Java be before C++???

less platform dependent== less money spent on special machines.

face_master
01-05-2003, 10:41 PM
easy crap language == less quantity + quality of developers

TechWins
01-05-2003, 11:30 PM
RoD, if you're primarily interested in C++ then I wouldn't take the time out to learn Java on your own. I'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of experience with it in college. I would like to learn some Java/Javascript, but I don't feel like taking any of the little time I have away from learning C++ either. Especially since I know I'll spend a lot of time learning Java in college.

flamingo
01-06-2003, 10:57 AM
if you have c++ mastered, java will take you about a day and a half to learn!

Shiro
01-06-2003, 12:29 PM
I was told by a few people that c++ people with Java experience are usually hired over Java people for java positions.

I don't know about that, but I do know that, especially in these times when the economy is down, companies prefer educating C++ programmers in Java than to get new Java programmers. Those C++ programmers not only have experience with object oriented programming, they also know how to use a language which looks a lot like Java. So, that is quite cheap.

Also here counts that those C++ programmers have more technological and programming experience and knowledge. They are probably the more experienced engineers who have learned Java and had some experience with it. The Java people are probably quite new programmers educated with Java. Don't know for sure, but it could be.

less platform dependent== less money spent on special machines.

Correct. If you have a family of devices, for example a family of mobile phones, TV's, car radios or whatever device which contains embedded software, and each device has a JVM on it, then it is very easy to write an application to be run on that family of devices. An phonebook written in Java for one mobile phone can be used on each mobile phone of the same family, which is common practice by mobile phone companies.

if you have c++ mastered, java will take you about a day and a half to learn!

True. If you know C++ quite well, then the language Java will take you perhaps one or two days to learn. Most concepts and a lot of language constructions are the same as in C++. There are a few advanced concepts not present in C++, like threads and the use of implementations and interfaces. And the library is quite big, but not hard to understand.

Mostly it is not the language which is hard, the hardest part, as I experienced, is creating a good object oriented design and use specific language concepts to optimise the design. Design patterns are a good guide, but applying those patterns can sometimes also be hard. Especially when you just start using them.

golfinguy4
01-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah, personally, I can look at most Java code and understand it. I haven't really learned it at all though. The only problems that I have with it are the API classes and functions.