PDA

View Full Version : Those darn API's

Zahl
01-03-2003, 03:39 PM
I have finally found out what is the hardest part of C++ (or any coding language) is isn't the language or the methods and "tricks" but those darn API's.
The problem is that since I havn't made the predefined classes myself I don't fully understand them if they are complex (some functions can be).
If you get a tutorial about WIN32 on the net you got a pick up the analogi of the API which can be hard.
In SDL it's the same deal.

Well, I have by now learnt both API's but I got a say that this has been the hardest part yet since it aint as logic as C++ itself.:rolleyes:

Sadly I found out that I could have spared the time on WIN32 since there aint no need for it with SDL which has WIN32 as a part of it. :p

RoD
01-03-2003, 04:00 PM
If theres no question to the thread its more of a GD kind of topic, not a c++ help kind of topic.

adrianxw
01-04-2003, 03:36 AM
>>> since it aint as logic as C++ itself

Any language, to acheive a useful end, will one day have to interact with the system it's modules are running on. API's are inevitable.

WIN32 is not that bad, it is my preferred environment.

Rez
01-04-2003, 05:58 AM
I'm currently learning the Win32 API. It's quite hard when you don't have a resource compiler, since you'd have to directly write the source code. :) TCP/IP is a whole lot easier.

DavidP
01-04-2003, 09:20 AM
>In SDL it's the same deal.

you think SDL is a hard API to learn? i found it easy....just wait until you get to DirectX and OpenGL....then you will be having some fun ;) ;)

Travis Dane
01-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by DavidP
you think SDL is a hard API to learn? i found it easy....just wait until you get to DirectX and OpenGL....then you will be having some fun ;) ;)

You think OpenGL is harder than SDL??
Geez, what kiddy API must SDL be then?;)

Mister C
01-04-2003, 10:27 AM
The Java API's are much easier to use and find. Just go to Sun's java website.