PDA

View Full Version : i need a lil venting.

RoD
01-03-2003, 03:13 PM
i just need to get this out, we have been doing parameters in user defined functions since the beginning of december and ppl in my C++ class STILL just DON't GET IT!!!

We can't move on because theres like 3 students who just REFUSE to use them because they say its easier and better to prompt and do everything in main rather then break it down, and its holding us all up.

Its midway in the year and were on USER DEFINED FUNCTIONS omfg i can't TAKE IT.

i feel a lil better.

PJYelton
01-03-2003, 03:18 PM
I feel your pain man. All of my classes so far have been the same way. We lose at least a day EVERY time we get a new lab because my teachers have to re-explain loops to some members of the class. Its January and people still can't do a *^(*&^ for loop!!! Not just loops either.... grrrr.... oh well, like what most people on this board have said, most of our learning is from self-teaching.

jawwadalam
01-03-2003, 03:27 PM
I had also the same problem in the last semester when we were learning about the ADTs and some stupid students were there saying that "Sir, we will first revise classes again and then restart learning ADTs"...eeeeeeeeeeeh

Some my class fellows are real hunks.. they dont tell the in the next lecture what were there problems in the last lecture.. but when we start any new topic(for example we have finished functions and now wanted to start structures)..they will start ****in.. eeeeeeeeeh

MadHatter
01-03-2003, 03:31 PM
my college intro to programming class was like that... maybe 8 out of 35 students knew what they were doing.. the rest hardly knew how to work a computer (honestly) :rolleyes: most dropped out. my second programming class wasn't so bad.. we started out with maybe 14 students, and got down to 5 or so that knew what they were diong within a couple weeks, so it went pretty well. starting programming 2 later this month.. finally learning classes.. or rather... having him tell me things i already know :rolleyes:

joshdick
01-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I wish my programming class would move quicker too. I'm taking an intoductory course in C++ and then, the course after that next semester. So far, we've only finished up loops. My teacher said we might go over file i/o, but that's it for this course. Thank goodness it's over in like two weeks. He hasn't taught us about arrays, structs, classes, pointers, etc :rolleyes: Oh, well. The class should be better next semester.

To everyone else here, just teach yourself what you want to know. I've been ahead of my class by a few chapters through most of the course. Hang in there, everybody!

RoD
01-03-2003, 03:40 PM
its one guy in particular who thinks hes the greatest thing ever. Hes always trying to outwit her or make her look bad.

Example, we were asked to design a program that takes two values from the user in a function, gives them to main where they are sent to a function the multiplies them, and finally to a thirs function that divides them by three. They are to be outputted in main and all mains hould contain is the function calls and output(output is original vals, multiplied, and divided), which is the same three lines because we don't use void. So each function is called in its cout, so the get_input function would be in main as:

double val1, val2;

cout<<get_info(val1,val2)<<endl;

So anyway she has me put mine on the board via electronic projection, as she said mine was best orgnized in commenting and variable names, etc.

He jumps on me with "i have a better way". So of course i am interested, i'm here to learn. His better way was to ask for two vals in main, * them, then divide the product by three.

I tried to explain that we were to use functions (we share the teaching, basicly she assigns and i assist in explanation and corrections, its a good relationship cuz we get along lol), and he tells me "well my ways better cuz functions are stupid".

gotta love that logic!

/*edit its CS2 btw, last year we had VB and minor pascal, so u'd think they'd be wiser....i told him if he was going to slow us down to drop the other day but he jsut sat smirking at me like hes smarter or soemthing*/

LordVirusXXP
01-03-2003, 04:17 PM
That's pretty sad.

int If_I_Were_You()
{
I'd_punch_those_fockers();
cout << " and ";
return their_heads_on_a_plaque;
}

Hmm... syntax jokes aren't funny at all, are they? Anyway, I'd get in their face unless they were forced into taking that class. If I were in a C++ course, I'd pay attention because I want to learn more about it. (Get myself a sweet programming job;))

Shadow
01-03-2003, 04:33 PM
It'll happen anywhere you go guys. Just get used to it. Some people don't catch on as quickly as you might(that was a compliment).

RoD
01-03-2003, 04:38 PM
ya well its not that he doens't understand, its that he won't "move on", i guess hes afriad to admit he can't handle new concepts....even the (not to sound ignorant) ADD kid gets it.

PJYelton
01-03-2003, 04:53 PM
>>well my ways better cuz functions are stupid<<

You and your teacher should come up with a homework problem that needs to use a function 50 or so times in random parts of the program. Then wait to see if he writes the same function 50 times! :D

I have no problems with people not understanding, there's a hell of a lot of things in this world that would take years for me to understand. What I hate is the teachers dumbing down the class and moving at a snails pace just to cater to people who just don't get it - and frankly never will get it. Just wish the policy would be if you don't get it, then you fail, end of story. If you need help, get tutoring or talk to teacher afterwards, don't slow down the class.

jawwadalam
01-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by PJYelton
>>well my ways better cuz functions are stupid<<

I have no problems with people not understanding, there's a hell of a lot of things in this world that would take years for me to understand. What I hate is the teachers dumbing down the class and moving at a snails pace just to cater to people who just don't get it - and frankly never will get it. Just wish the policy would be if you don't get it, then you fail, end of story. If you need help, get tutoring or talk to teacher afterwards, don't slow down the class.

100000000000 % Agreeeed!

I have the same point of view.. but some teachers dont agree.. they say that we should not leave them like this....and then these students dont care of thinking hard about the problems..

RoD
01-03-2003, 05:09 PM
the kids creepy period; Hes always staring at me, and hes the only one who doens't ask me for help.

blitzkrieg
01-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Ride -or- Die
the kids creepy period; Hes always staring at me, and hes the only one who doens't ask me for help.
does that embarass you or does it make you jealous ? :D ... I'd keep myself a mile away from him either way. :p

Yawgmoth
01-03-2003, 06:14 PM
You should all consider yourselves lucky: You have prgramming classes in school. I went to 2 schools, and this is how it was:

School 1: "Computers" consisted of weekly typing exercises. This monotony was broken up only by busy work exercises or teachers from other classes making us type stupid essays.

School 2: "Computers" was digital video editing on Macs. I don't want to get into a Mac/PC debate, but Macs are very slow, and doing DV is not the easiest of tasks. The course had nothing to do with PCs; we could have done the same course with tapes and stuff in the 80s.

And of course in all my other classes I have morons who are confused by multiplication(I'm not joking) during math, and spend the entire class goofing off. BTW I'm in the honors class, and these nitwits are dragging me down still.

face_master
01-03-2003, 07:48 PM
You think you have problems? They dont even teach C++ in my school.
School 1: "Computers" consisted of weekly typing exercises. This monotony was broken up only by busy work exercises or teachers from other classes making us type stupid essays.Thats basically my school

Aran
01-03-2003, 09:23 PM
The average American is a complete moron who knows nothing more than what he wants to know, and has no regard for truth or justice, just for having some cheap thrills and attempting to make money.

Speaking of school, there are a lot of really stupid people in my grade. I'd say that 15-20% of my grade are tolerable people, the rest are just a bunch of babbling idiots.

Scourfish
01-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Install linux, problem solved.

Prelude
01-03-2003, 10:03 PM
>The average American is a complete moron who knows nothing more than what he wants to know, and has no
>regard for truth or justice, just for having some cheap thrills and attempting to make money.
I resent this statement...you forgot about arrogance. :p

-Prelude

Dissata
01-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Unfortunatly My school doesn't offer a programming class this year, but my math teacher was a math major and took programming in college. being as I knew all the math, and was not allowed to skip ahead, even though I passed the final for the class, I talked to my teacher and he has allowed me to move ahead and work on matth and-or programming in his class as long as I maintain an A. I worked at my level of understanding and at my own pace during class. I am free to move ahead as fast as I need. The only downside was that I still have to take the same tests as everyone else. but thats ok, I already knew it!;) Also the flexability to just chill and programm during a class with no restrictions is actualy kinda cool.:D

sweet eh! :p