PDA

View Full Version : Burning a backup, better way?

RoD
01-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Ok, so i got my nice new burner, and with my new burner i want to get a lil smarter : )

Well heres the deal, i loaded up Roxio 5 Basic and under Data CD it says "take two - backup your entire computer on one or more cds" , but i can't use it because its the basic version of roxio, ie free.

So heres my problem, i want to backup my HDD on a series of CDs. My music folder alone is over a gig, its like 1.5. My total disk space used is about 8.5 including windows XP. So i figure it too take about 12 cds (they are 700mb). Is there a better way? My main issue is the music folder, how can i get it to fit on one cd, a zip file isn't even close. I have everything else backed up, so if i can squeeze down my mp3's the problem would be solved. I have Roxio 5, Nero 5, RecordNow MAX, and windows built in burn software.

Any ideas?

Waldo2k2
01-03-2003, 02:40 PM
XP's NTFS compression will shrink everything as small as possible....that's the best you'll be able to do. Beyond that look into the price of tape drives.

RoD
01-03-2003, 02:46 PM
i'm not entirely sure how to compress things with xp.

Waldo2k2
01-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Right click the file or directory (or drive) and select properties, then check the compression check box. Click apply or ok or whatever, then it will ask you what you want to compress, the root or root and subfolders. Thats up to you but for maximum compression do the whole schpeel.

RoD
01-03-2003, 02:56 PM
woot only 19 minutes to go!

Waldo2k2
01-03-2003, 03:03 PM
that's nothing, i had to do an entire 14gb hdd last week.
I recommend that if you have to do anything over a gig or so i'd boot into safe mode with command prompt and do it from there. You have to do it by setting file attributes. Look in the xp help it's all documented in the command line reference.

RoD
01-03-2003, 03:08 PM
well it didn't help too much, it went from 1.54 gigs to 1.45...: (

MethodMan
01-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Isnt it bad to compress files on your hard drive?

Why dont you just back up the necessary files. Put your mp3s on a couple of cds, and then all your other imporant files on cds too. Thats all I do. Plus your IE and Opera bookmarks.

Thats all I ever save before I format, its all I need.

RoD
01-03-2003, 03:28 PM
ooooo thanks for reminding me but my favs/bookmarks! Yea i guess i could, but its such a waste of cds ya know, i mean those mp3s split will be 2 cds maybe 2 1/2 (the third having bookmarks also). So thats 4 cds for my stuff, i wish i could cram those mp3s onto one cd...

owell

btw, its bad to compress files you use all the time, or for use, its ok to compress them when your format'n anyway.

Eibro
01-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Does EVERYTHING need to be saved? Personally, I only save a list of the mp3's I had, any important documents, projects, contacts... email and bookmarks.

I can barely fill one CD everything important that i've accumulated. Everything else should be retrievable after you get back up after the format.

RoD
01-03-2003, 03:47 PM
only my mp3's and bookmarks are left, the main issue is how to shrink them at least close to 700mb

/* edit: perhaps i should invest in two large compacity CDRW's lol*/

Waldo2k2
01-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Solution to all your backup needs:
http://www.piranhatech.com/products/viewproduct.asp?productid=3627

and just for giggles, check this place out:
http://www.cpuinc.com/8mm.html

Captain Penguin
01-03-2003, 04:18 PM
In the future, I'd recommend getting an extra hd... that way you can store all of your important stuff on the secondary drive and install your OS and programs on the primary. That's what I've been doing for 2 years, I never have to back anything up. If the HD fails I'm sorta screwed, but hey nothing on there is worth crying about... mp3s and movies and such.

Shadow
01-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Buy an extra hard drive that's big enough for your needs. Then, keep it out of your tower. Hence, a very big(:D) portable storage device. I do this, and it works well. Besides that, you can easily change things around on the hard drive. WOOPS, I don't want that. DELETE. If you get into closing cd's or whatever, that can be a mess.

I have 22(that's not alot) 700mb cds. I have like 5 hard drives which aren't in PC towers.

Captain Penguin
01-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Shadow
Buy an extra hard drive that's big enough for your needs. Then, keep it out of your tower. Hence, a very big(:D) portable storage device. I do this, and it works well. Besides that, you can easily change things around on the hard drive. WOOPS, I don't want that. DELETE. If you get into closing cd's or whatever, that can be a mess.

I have 22(that's not alot) 700mb cds. I have like 5 hard drives which aren't in PC towers.

Yea, a USB 2.0 or Firewire external enclosure (not very expensive) would make that an even better idea.

RoD
01-03-2003, 04:43 PM
i can't rlly afford to spend anything on it, less cheap is like 40 bucks.

Shadow
01-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Captain Penguin
Yea, a USB 2.0 or Firewire external enclosure (not very expensive) would make that an even better idea. I've been doing that since before USB hard drives. I just haven't switched over yet. ;)