PDA

View Full Version : Limitless signature?

zahid
12-28-2002, 11:51 PM
I can disable signature to display, but I don't want to do it for all. Sometimes we see big signatures.

Signature should not be more than one or two lines.

This is my opinion, what do moderators and all my fellow members think?

RoD
12-28-2002, 11:57 PM
I think it should be at our personal discression less it become a large complaint by others.

ammar
12-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Some people should not be given that option, because they will copy hundreds of lines to their signature.

RoD
12-29-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by ammar
Some people should not be given that option, because they will copy hundreds of lines to their signature.

then the mods would handle that individual. If such a signature is a problem i feel we can be confident that a mod or other staff will pick it up. I don't see any real problems with the current sigs honestly.

/* edit: I must also add that we already DO have that option, as there aren't limits, and i don't see anyone abusing it with "hundreds of lines".*/

/* edit2: master2000's sig is too long and is obviously in appropriate in language, so ok one person.*/

compjinx
12-29-2002, 12:44 AM
Hmmm, there should be an option to turn off the display of signatures when you view threads, that way it is the choice of the viewer whether or not to see sigs.

Imperito
12-29-2002, 12:55 AM
There, uh, is...

In your user cp.

MethodMan
12-29-2002, 01:05 AM
I would understand if we were allowed pics in our sigs, and people were putting large images, but its just text. I dont really look at the sigs anyways. Its not much of distraction.

As ROD said, if it gets too large, the Mods will deal with it.

joshdick
12-29-2002, 01:26 AM
I really like my signature. I don't see why there's any need to restrict their length. I have yet to see a signature that was unruly. As someone already pointed out, it's just a few lines of text. Signatures aren't bothering anyone, and if they are, the mods will deal with those particular persons. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

unixOZ
12-29-2002, 01:41 AM
Why on earth would someone want to have such a long signature? :confused:

zahid
12-29-2002, 01:41 AM
For Attention For Example: :)

Originally posted by joshdick
I really like my signature. I don't see why there's any need to restrict their length. I have yet to see a signature that was unruly. As someone already pointed out, it's just a few lines of text. Signatures aren't bothering anyone, and if they are, the mods will deal with those particular persons. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

At school I program on a G4 using CodeWarrior.
Then I come home and program on a blueberry iBook using Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.

Evil:
void main() Don't argue, you're just wrong about this one.
global variables
undescriptive identifiers
goto
#define

Good:
modularity
granularity
data encapsulation
descriptive identifiers
code tags
searching the web and this site before posting a question

TechWins
12-29-2002, 02:04 AM
I agree that some signatures are way too long. Such signatures as RoD, IMO, is too long, but I still don't think it's a distraction. I only say it's too long from personal preference, nothing else. :) master2000's signature is completey ridiculous and flat out annoying. I hate having to scroll the screen down just because of a signature! joshdick's signature is a bit too long and could be shortened. However, none of the signatures in this thread are that much of a distraction. But again master2000's is dumb and needs to be changed! Other than that I could careless.

ammar
12-29-2002, 05:42 AM
joshdick, you said that you like your signature, but that doesn't mean that everybody does...

Imperito, I think the option in the user cp is to turn on or off the display of your signature, not others signature which compjinx meant.

Stoned_Coder
12-29-2002, 10:45 AM
I think sigs should be set at 5 lines maximum. Scrolling thru large sigs just to get to the next thread is tiresome.

doubleanti
12-29-2002, 02:40 PM
well... haha i was ordained by God (ie K&R) to oversee this board, and my sig holds our Manifesto... so to delete it would be the Grandest Sin of all the Universe.

furthermore i don't know if we've discussed this as the administration. so if you'd like i will mention it to the others...

oh, and also, if there are any complaints of my signature, personally, feel free to voice them...

joshdick
12-29-2002, 03:20 PM
Imperito, I think the option in the user cp is to turn on or off the display of your signature, not others signature which compjinx meant.
No, you're wrong. In your user cp under options there is an option to view posts without signatures. There is also one to view without avatars. Anyone who doesn't like signatures can simply choose not to see them by choosing that option in their user cp.

zahid
12-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Zahid, you said that you like your signature, but that doesn't mean that everybody does...

Really!!! , did I? hmmm.... I guess you are a programmer and have strong observation power. So, reconsider your statement. Thanks anyway.

joshdick
12-29-2002, 11:04 PM
I realize that the general consensus was that my signature was too long. I thought on the matter, did some soul searching, looked at the signature quite a bit, and come to the conclusion you had—that (maybe) it was too long. So, I modified it a bit. I tried to make it more clever and shorter. Let me know if you think I achieved either to an extent that you think is acceptable.

In short, what do you think of my new signature?

Waldo2k2
12-29-2002, 11:59 PM
I realize that the general consensus was that my signature was too long. I thought on the matter, did some soul searching, looked at the signature quite a bit, and come to the conclusion you had—that (maybe) it was too long. So, I modified it a bit. I tried to make it more clever and shorter. Let me know if you think I achieved either to an extent that you think is acceptable.

I used to have the same problem...try shrinking down the text size, that's what i did.
And I personally like signatures, when used correctly, it can say everything about a person. Some peoples signatures teach me a lot about their personality.
My opion anyway....by the way now that you've all complained about i have to go out and see masters sig.

zahid
12-30-2002, 12:13 AM

joshdick, I'v noticed your modification earlier and knew even I post my second reply, I guess you've got the clue :) . But you know I didn't want to mark your signature when I start the thread because of thinking it as a general consensus. And you see, almost no one will disagree with the existence of signature.

Ohh... I guess many of us will appreciate your initiative.

ammar
12-30-2002, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by zahid
Really!!! , did I? hmmm.... I guess you are a programmer and have strong observation power. So, reconsider your statement. Thanks anyway.

I'm very sorry, It's my mistake...
I'll edit the post...

I know that you only quoted that, but when I replyed I mentioned your name, because it was stick in my mind...

ammar
12-30-2002, 04:18 AM
No, you're wrong. In your user cp under options there is an option to view posts without signatures. There is also one to view without avatars. Anyone who doesn't like signatures can simply choose not to see them by choosing that option in their user cp.

Thanks for the clarification...

And sorry Imperito, you are right, I didn't check out the use cp.

zahid
12-30-2002, 10:32 PM
I'm very sorry, It's my mistake...
I'll edit the post...

I know that you only quoted that, but when I replyed I mentioned your name, because it was stick in my mind...

It's okay. I know it was a mistake. Apology granted :)