PDA

View Full Version : Do you want gender to be included in our profiles?

joshdick
12-27-2002, 11:28 PM
In another thread some suggested this and others thought that it was a bad idea. What do you think? This is your chance to have your vote heard to maybe get something changed. I dig democracy. I'd also like to have people post their reasons. I dig debates, too.

LordVirusXXP
12-27-2002, 11:33 PM
It was I who suggested it and I believe it's a good idea. It never hurts to know someone's gender. It's not like people are going to start killing each other and being rude and disrespectful towards one another becuase they're of opposite genders.

Commander
12-27-2002, 11:34 PM
i don;t see why there shouldn't be, but there should be a option that allows it to be private too, for ppl who wants to keep it a secret

Dolby
12-27-2002, 11:37 PM
>>>but there should be a option that allows it to be private too, for ppl who wants to keep it a secret

I have to agree with commander, at least give the person the choice if they want it to be seen or not. As long as the option is there, then I don't see any reason why not.

MethodMan
12-27-2002, 11:50 PM
You should have the right to withold any information that others dont need to know. I dont see any harm in it, seeing that a majority of us are males anyways.

I really dont see the point in having it, but ah well.

codingmaster
12-28-2002, 01:59 AM
Yeah

It's a good idea!

But there should be an option to hide it!!!

And I think, there won't be not so long discussions, like:

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31257

about your gender

Shiro
12-28-2002, 03:27 AM
I agree with Commander also. I can not immediately find a reason why someone would hide it, but I can imagine people want to give their gender and hide it.

adrianxw
12-28-2002, 04:23 AM
It seems that whenever any of the board members announce they are female, the hormone flushed adolescents on the board try to go cyber with them.

There are a few girls on the board, some openly so, some not. I think the right to privacy should be respected.

In any case, who knows if what the profile says true? What are we to do, demand DNA samples?

ammar
12-28-2002, 06:10 AM
LordVirusXXP, I thought I was the one who suggested that here: http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31257 but maybe you did it before I did, you can give me the link... But anyway it's not a big deal...
I think, yeah it a good idea( since it's mine :D )...

Commander, ofcourse it should be an option, in fact almost everything in the profile is optional, for example: location, interests, date of birth, etc...

Travis Dane
12-28-2002, 08:26 AM
I think your gender should be included, because how bad it
sounds, i do treat female's different, don't ask why.
I talk a little more gentle

RoD
12-28-2002, 12:17 PM
i read the topic only, heres my view:

its segragative and un-needed.

-KEN-
12-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by adrianxw
It seems that whenever any of the board members announce they are female, the hormone flushed adolescents on the board try to go cyber with them.

There are a few girls on the board, some openly so, some not. I think the right to privacy should be respected.

In any case, who knows if what the profile says true? What are we to do, demand DNA samples?

Oh go on, adrian - say what you wanted to. "STFU!". Go on, you know you want to...

But on a more serious not...what would it accomplish? Do you really care whether you're talking to a girl or a guy? This isn't C Board dating service....

Eibro
12-28-2002, 01:10 PM
I see it as pointless, I don't think it matters whether someones male or female. I also don't see any reason to treat them differently if they are infact female.

Bad Idea.

Davros
12-28-2002, 01:12 PM
I agree. It sounds pointless.

PJYelton
12-28-2002, 01:31 PM
I agree, no reason for it. If a person wants their gender to be known, they'll do it.

adrianxw
12-28-2002, 02:21 PM
>>> Oh go on, adrian - say what you wanted to.

;)

blitzkrieg
12-28-2002, 02:40 PM
i really don't care if you display the sex in the profile. No guarantee that users will be entering their correct sex !

Cheeze-It
12-28-2002, 03:28 PM
No. It's a bad idea. It'll eventually turn this board into a dating
service. Pretty soon the 15 year-old boys that come here will
be PMing the ladies and asking them to be their internet girlfriend.
Then they'll go back to their hangout (i.e. an AOL chatroom) and
brag to their homies (i.e. strangers in that AOL chatroom) about
how much of a "playa" the are.

-KEN-
12-28-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ethic
No. It's a bad idea. It'll eventually turn this board into a dating
service. Pretty soon the 15 year-old boys that come here will
be PMing the ladies and asking them to be their internet girlfriend.
Then they'll go back to their hangout (i.e. an AOL chatroom) and
brag to their homies (i.e. strangers in that AOL chatroom) about
how much of a "playa" the are.

With some of the kids that have plagued this place recently? I wouldn't doubt it...

Hammer
12-28-2002, 04:26 PM
My thoughts:

- Quote: "I dig democracy". - And who says we're in a democracy?!! :D
- A gender option proves nothing, you can never tell if its correct or not.
- What difference does it make if someone is male or female? These boards are primarily here to provide help on programming, and as us regulars know, gender is irrelevant when it comes to prog abilities.
- If you found out that someone was the opposite sex to what you thought, what would you do different from then on? Personally, my answer is "nothing", it makes no odds.
- If you're that desperate to know about someone, then just PM and ask. If they're willing they'll respond, if not, then chances are their profile wouldn't show their gender anyway, even if this new option did exist.

Shadow
12-28-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
With some of the kids that have plagued this place recently? I wouldn't doubt it... I agree, mainly on the part about new kids to the Cboard and defining their actions as a plague.

-KEN-
12-28-2002, 04:53 PM
>>and as us regulars know, gender is irrelevant when it comes to prog abilities.

Seriously...Prelude could out-code anyone I've ever met on these boards.

Travis Dane
12-28-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
>>and as us regulars know, gender is irrelevant when it comes to prog abilities.

Seriously...Prelude could out-code anyone I've ever met on these boards.

That really depends on what aspect, on c++ she might be
awesome, but what about game programming? opengl? win32?
directx?

Hammer
12-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
That really depends on what aspect, on c++ she might be
awesome, but what about game programming? opengl? win32?
directx?
Who cares and what relevance does it have on gender? None, that's what.

RoD
12-28-2002, 06:00 PM
Theres no logical reason to do this. It will only segragate us and give others a reason to pm-harrass ladies like prelude. And on the note of preludes skill, she scares me, simply because i have never been so intimidated by a woman before, shes one hell of a programmer.

*bows to prelude shrine*

Travis Dane
12-28-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Hammer
Who cares and what relevance does it have on gender? None, that's what.

Ok sorry (if i would get a cent everytime a post isnt about a
thread on this board....), anyhow, the only reason i can think of
to report the gender is the way you adress someone, with he or she, you cant really say it can you?:D

RoD
12-28-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
Ok sorry (if i would get a cent everytime a post isnt about a
thread on this board....), anyhow, the only reason i can think of
to report the gender is the way you adress someone, with he or she, you cant really say it can you?:D

If they care they will inform/correct you.

LordVirusXXP
12-28-2002, 07:50 PM
Now that I think about it, it IS sorta a dumb idea, and it really makes no difference. (It would only help those who want a programming GF):D

Travis Dane
12-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by LordVirusXXP
(It would only help those who want a programming GF):D

Right, you just made yourself supicious....;)

zahid
12-28-2002, 10:50 PM
Since 2000, all those days I never felt it's importance. I don't see any reason to include.

If anyone feels, he/she can ask for through pm. This is never an important factor for this board.

Including the gender will bring the factor in the front line. Specially the situation often we see in chat rooms are not that pleasent. So, why don't we keep it away.
The bottom line is:
"We Are Already Happy"

Commander
12-28-2002, 11:29 PM
i got an idea, if you wanna include it, include it in the bio
that will solve everyone's problem

RoD
12-28-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Commander
i got an idea, if you wanna include it, include it in the bio
that will solve everyone's problem

I disagree, because that SEGRAGATES us, it singles out those who choose NOT to do it or visa versa. There is NO point in doing it, i see no benifit, so therefore, why bother? What can we possibly stand to gain as a whole??

ammar
12-29-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by LordVirusXXP
Now that I think about it, it IS sorta a dumb idea, and it really makes no difference. (It would only help those who want a programming GF):D

After you knew it was not your idea!:D - just kidding...