PDA

View Full Version : Gender

Pages : [1] 2

joshdick
12-25-2002, 01:50 AM
I've been wondering lately what percentage of programmers are female. In my high school, there are absolutely none. That's depressing. I realize, however, that my school is not indicitive of the whole world. I hope that the CBoard is. I'm interested in seeing how many females are posting on this board. Just curious is all :)

TechWins
12-25-2002, 02:14 AM
I'd almost rather not have a gf who programs, because I wouldn't really want to talk about programming to my gf. If she does program then that's still perfectly just as fine, but I still wouldn't want to discuss programming much with her. However, this doesn't mean that I wouldn't discuss programming with a girl who is only a friend.

If the poll receives a lot of results then you'll be surprised just how many people here are girls.

napkin111
12-25-2002, 02:41 AM
I would love to have a computer geek GF...I'm actually on a quest to find one that isn't ugly and has a good sense of humor (sorry for stereotyping, but it is hard to find [I still haven't]).

//napKIN

ammar
12-25-2002, 05:39 AM
Well, I was wodering about the same thing here...
I hope many people vote in this poll, so we can have a clear picture...
Maybe gender can be added to the profile, so we can get more precise statistics.

Travis Dane
12-25-2002, 06:06 AM
Mhh, typical, NO female's,
Maybe male's are just better in programming?
Are there ANY female programmers on this world?

face_master
12-25-2002, 06:20 AM
Prelude, Doubleanti, and I dont know anymore...I think that chicks are just not interested generally in computers. Though ofcourse this doesn't apply to every person

Polymorphic OOP
12-25-2002, 06:25 AM
I know a couple cute female programmers

face_master
12-25-2002, 06:35 AM
Got their numbers? :)

Travis Dane
12-25-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Polymorphic OOP
I know a couple cute female programmers

Cute AND programmers, doesn't gert any rarer then that!:(

face_master
12-25-2002, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
Cute AND programmers, doesn't gert any rarer then that!:( Yeach, just take a look at Poly's face.

DavidP
12-25-2002, 07:28 AM
Michelle is a female that often posts at these boards...I saw her a post a few days ago but havent seen her since then...

Travis Dane
12-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Indeed, a very weird posture you have polymorph,
Look's a little like rugby player,You scare me with that big body:)

MethodMan
12-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by face_master
Yeach, just take a look at Poly's face.

LMAO

I agree however, there are not many good looking programmers, plus the majority are males anyway.

And this pole has been done before.......

Travis Dane
12-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by MethodMan
LMAO

I agree however, there are not many good looking programmers, plus the majority are males anyway.

Smart people are usually 'ugly' people, by teen standards that is

LordVirusXXP
12-25-2002, 11:13 AM
No programming chicks?:(

Travis Dane
12-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Chicks are declared different for everyone, so for me she may
looks like a pig, ( i know this is just bla bla, but i don't want
to be another 1 line poster)

Brian
12-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Travis Dane
Smart people are usually 'ugly' people, by teen standards that is

I'm smart, beautiful and a teenager...well, maybe not the first two.

Merry Christmas!

master2000
12-25-2002, 01:31 PM
your a girl:confused:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian
12-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by master2000
your a girl:confused:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

occasionally

joshdick
12-25-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by MethodMan

Sorry if this poll is overdone or something. It was late, and another thread, "Female-oriented C++", got me thinking about the apparent scarcity of female programmers. So, I started wondering how many female programmers there were around about these parts and made a poll.

Maybe I should have searched to see if this was done before, but it was too late for me to think that clearly.

Polymorphic OOP
12-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Yeach, just take a look at Poly's face.

OOOO burnt! Shut up, *****, I'm a 8.4 of hotornot.com :p (that's a bad picture and it had to be molested in order to fit as the avatar)

Travis Dane
12-25-2002, 08:08 PM
Indeed, i mean...50 by 50 pixels???? my picture went
inrecognizable!

Shadow
12-25-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by DavidP
Michelle is a female that often posts at these boards...I saw her a post a few days ago but havent seen her since then... Recalling a recent PM war with her..she had to go, and from what I take it, doesn't live here. She likes it, but just pops up every now and again. She's going to school and you know what that does to you. :p

My OOP instructor, and IT Math teacher(who is also an OOP instructor), then finally my Computer Concetps teacher - all female(mid-aged of course, but still).

Aran
12-25-2002, 09:05 PM
the reason why females, at large, don't program is because they are smart enough not to try to make sense out of computers.

*ClownPimp*
12-25-2002, 11:55 PM
There are a decent amount of female programmers.... There were three in my C class in HS, a bunch in VB, about 4 in AP CS.... There is also a sizeable amount in the computer science classes at my university (albeit mostly Chinese and Indian)

Nick
12-26-2002, 01:17 AM
There is also a sizeable amount in the computer science classes at my university (albeit mostly Chinese and Indian)

... And they only talk to themselves? :)

Travis Dane
12-26-2002, 05:23 AM
I do notice that allot indians are programmers,
Are they good at it or anything?
Take a look at Planet Source Code (http://www.planet-source-code.com/) , that place is crawling with indians

*ClownPimp*
12-26-2002, 11:40 AM
>... And they only talk to themselves?
It depends on the person more than anything. Some have many non-Indian friends, and some dont. The chinese are usually pretty open to other races... that is if they speak english well lol.

>Are they good at it or anything?
lol. They usually have the highest grades.

doubleanti
12-26-2002, 02:34 PM
>my picture went inrecognizable!

haha... so you're squall lionheart eh? =)~

>... And they only talk to themselves?

muahaha... asians have that advantage!

terrancee
12-26-2002, 08:26 PM
Indian is supposed to be a wealth of good programmers. I heard from my teacher that a lot them are c'ers, and have an odd coding style.

A lot of U.S. companies are hiring programmers from other countries to get cheap labor.

U.S. probably isn't the best country in terms of programmers... But don't quote me on that :)

terrancee
12-26-2002, 08:27 PM
excuse me, India has a wealth of good programmers, sorry, I can't edit...

Dolby
12-26-2002, 10:32 PM
I'm a girl. And my mom told me i'm the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world! and I believe her! hahah! yeah, there aren't a lot of girl programmers, in my java class for example, there were only 4 girls out of about 40 students. Hey, I'm not complaining, i'm surrounded with guys! a blink, a smooch and my program's done! hahah! ;)
But seriously, I think most think that it's hard, when really it's not, plus it's all this stereotyping thing, which I'm really tired of so I'll give it a rest. 'coz most of the time, they think i'm either stupid 'coz i'm a girl, or i'm a "guy trapped in a girl's body" but oh well...

Malcar Morab
12-27-2002, 01:24 AM
"there aren't a lot of girl programmers, in my java class for example, there were only 4 girls out of about 40 students. Hey, I'm not complaining, i'm surrounded with guys! a blink, a smooch and my program's done! hahah! "

And people say girls are stupid, here is viable proof that we can get what we want, when we want...just by using our feminine tricks....always a good card to pull...

ammar
12-27-2002, 06:11 AM
Nobody would say girls are stupid, because they are not... But I think that the example you gave proves that they are stupid.

ober
12-27-2002, 07:43 AM
Prelude, Doubleanti, and I dont know anymore...I think that chicks are just not interested generally in computers. Though ofcourse this doesn't apply to every person

umm... as far as I know, DA is a guy.

ober
12-27-2002, 07:46 AM
Also, I have worked with one girl in particular at my university that is an excellent programmer and very knowledgable about computer related stuff. And I've had several good programmers that were female in past classes of mine.

Granted, the fact remains that most girls aren't interested or have no desire to program or do much of anything with computer besides normal user stuff.

Travis Dane
12-27-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by doubleanti
>my picture went inrecognizable!

haha... so you're squall lionheart eh? =)~

He,oke..., but if you see the original you notice that it is
compressed in width,wayway, Females are just rare in
programming, ive never seen any female in a programming team
that made a good game, not saying they can't program, maybe
less better then male's. And most females are social animals,
and programming is sitting behind a screen, typing all day,
of course if you have a fun team this can be different.

LordVirusXXP
12-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Speaking of which, why do you have a Squall avitar? Most people dont like Squall because he's very quiet and boring. Zidane and Cloud are much better. And Tidus, I dont know. From what I've seen, he seems like a fruity little bastard.

Aran
12-27-2002, 01:33 PM
uh....why don't you PM him about that, i don't think anyone else cares.
-------------------

Echo Travis.

LordVirusXXP
12-27-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Aran Elus
-------------------

Echo Travis.

Sheddap
//Second Line

Travis Dane
12-27-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Aran Elus
-------------------

Echo Travis.

First you complain that whe don't like you, then you're replying
like this, smart......
Anyway, Squall reflects my personality so i choose him as my
avatar, i choose the avatar most fitting to me, so no happy
bastard avatar for me

codingmaster
12-27-2002, 03:52 PM
Little children (age: 4-10) are saying, that girls are stupid
But they're not stupid

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT::::::::

GOD WHY ARE FEMALE PROGRAMMERS SO RARE???????

Cause it would be very nice to have a programming girl friend *g

doubleanti
12-27-2002, 03:53 PM
kudos... personally i enjoyed squalls character as well. but most of all i loved selphies. =)~

and aran, since when did you take it upon youself to take on the responsibilities of a moderator? and in such tact? honestly, where did this come from?

at any rate... about this whole thing, i'm sure many of us on this board are female but hide it. consider the social pressures being female in a male-dominated field? it's one thing to do engineering, for example, for the money. but for a female to do engineering she must truly love it, or else all the social pressures will turn her to humanities. =)~ in other words... don't be *******s to women... for they rule the earth...

Travis Dane
12-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Becauseeeeeee, girl's want to talk alot, move alot, laugh alot,
and programming is everything but that

[edit]
reason why i want to program is because i love to build things
myself, ive done some bsp mapping before this but i really
want to build something thats fully my own creation

codingmaster
12-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Yeah girls don't hide *g
And ur completly right
And men do not want to hurt women (the men who are programmers *g)

Travis Dane:
Yeah
But why?
Talking, shopping, good looking.........

It's ****

They're not creating the things, maybe they're creating the community, but not the evolution.

So, please girls change ur opinion of programming!!!!!

And girls should start doing useful things, like:

4-6 Playing with cars, lego, playing
footbal, climbing on trees

6-10 Going to school, try to learn
6-10 Playing computer
10-????? Learn the things like:
what is the computer doing???
why does the computer do it???
can I do it???
can I try to make it different????

Seeing some stuff or hearing some stuff about programming:

Start programming!!!

Learn: HTML
CSS
JavaScript
XML
PHP
Perl
ASP (maybe!!!)
MySQL with PERL/PHP/ASP
some Python

C/C++
Assembly

Some Java stuff

And learning to use linux and not windows

U can say to girls
Hey little girl the pinguin is so sweet and nice and wanna play with u

SO PLEASE USE LINUX

GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS

Why have u a different imagine of the the way of live????

If u wanna chat, so write some chat proggies or create a community (with php scripts and database (MySQL))

Dolby
12-27-2002, 04:11 PM
>>>GOD WHY ARE FEMALE PROGRAMMERS SO RARE???????
I'm gonna have to agree with doubleanti. It's because of all these pressures, I remembered my first programming class in C (a long time ago) ... these guys around me treat me like i'm one of the guys and are asking me why I don't want to get married or have kids. Asking why I want to suffer the consequences of being a programmer, meaning, no guys will like a girl who's smarter than him, in short i'll never have a bf. And why I keep acting like a boy (even though I wear skirts all the time!?!) :rolleyes:

>>>>Becauseeeeeee, girl's want to talk alot, move alot, laugh alot, and programming is everything but that
I beg to differ, yes we do that, but that doesn't mean that we can't program at the same time. Well, i guess it's all about time management. For me, there are times when I do the girly stuff and there are times when i solely dedicate my time to programming, there's more to life than computers. And I honestly feel sorry for those who makes computers and programming in general their lives....

But I'm gonna have to say that I'm still different with my male collegues, most of the time, i'm outspoken, I don't think i have any confidence. Meaning, even though I know the answer, I just choose to be quiet and see what's going on. Other than if they're code is really really wrong then I'm gonna have to step in. But most of the time, I feel like male programmers are still better than me, even though i'm doing really good on my classes(better than my guy friends) so yeah....oh well. just my humble opinion...:)

codingmaster
12-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Yeah, you're completly right!

The live is not only computer stuff, I agree!!!

Travis Dane
12-27-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by codingmaster
Yeah, you're completly right!

The live is not only computer stuff, I agree!!!

No, there's also sleep, and food, and drinks.....
No honestly you can recognize someone who's live is
computers jsut by looking at them, they usually look kinda
geeky or dorky (just to use the teenage term).
But you can have it all huh? It's great programmer || great social,
this of course isn't always so, some lucky bastards have it both

codingmaster
12-27-2002, 05:35 PM
and it would be nice to be one of them

but everyone can choose and change his live!!!

Travis Dane
12-27-2002, 05:39 PM
Hey codingmaster, you been bumping up a bunch of old threads?
the moderator has its hands full of closing them