PDA

View Full Version : Computer Science before..



Cheeze-It
12-22-2002, 11:31 AM
How have degrees in Computer Science changed over the years?
I mean, with degrees in something like Law or Medicine, I think
each generation basically learns the same thing. But with 'puters...

What was a degree in CompSci like before Windows 95 came out?
Ooh, or before the internet was, uh, big...

ammar
12-22-2002, 11:49 AM
I Think the main principles of programming, have not changed alot... But many things have changed like: the programming languages, OS's, and computers...

::Edit::
By the way it's a very interresting subject.

MethodMan
12-22-2002, 11:52 AM
I definitely agree, however, you have to look at the fact that computers have been around for like 60 years or so. Computer Science is a developing program. Engineers have existed for much longer, their job only improves with technology, but their tasks are esentially the same.

A professor told me, in the early days of programming, their programming class consisted of watching someone programming.

As technology changes, the course has to change to adapt, until we find a perfect solution, if that exists.

Terranc
12-22-2002, 12:05 PM
I know Bill Gates took a computer science and applied mathematics in college in the 70's.

From what I understood, he took fortran and basic. Very different, I'm sure. But it was still based on programming, just a different era of computing in general.

Shiro
12-22-2002, 12:11 PM
When I look at computer science in the Netherlands, a lot of things have changed. The fundamental subjects like mathematics, algorithms and datastructures haven't changed a lot. It are mainly the 'modern' subjects which have changed, because technology changes and points of view change. When I started at university, procedural programming was the way we started learning programming, today the students start with object oriented programming. Software engineering things like UML, CMM and PSP got into the education programs.

But I think it is not only in computer science, also most other subjects are changing, mostly because of new points of view. Also for medicine, new ways of healing people were invented, new technology supporting medicine was invented and so much more was invented and is still going on.

CompiledMonkey
12-22-2002, 02:37 PM
It's all about the program to go into. Some schools have better programs of CS than others.

Also, CS may not be for you. It all depends on what you want to do for a living. If you're in that 10% of programers that work on operating systems, compilers, and new programming languages then yes, Computer Science is for you. If you're part of the other 90% you'll end up working for a company solving business problems. Which is what I currently do so I chose the Information Systems major instead of CS. No reason to go through hell when you'll never use it.

Fountain
12-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Tell you what-if we all got degrees in maths everything would be easier. In computer stuff-maths is the king!:cool:

Fountain
12-22-2002, 07:09 PM
edit? oh well I meant to add-maths and a bit of logic-cracked it!

MrWizard
12-23-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Shiro
When I look at computer science in the Netherlands, a lot of things have changed. The fundamental subjects like mathematics, algorithms and datastructures haven't changed a lot. It are mainly the 'modern' subjects which have changed, because technology changes and points of view change. When I started at university, procedural programming was the way we started learning programming, today the students start with object oriented programming. Software engineering things like UML, CMM and PSP got into the education programs.

But I think it is not only in computer science, also most other subjects are changing, mostly because of new points of view. Also for medicine, new ways of healing people were invented, new technology supporting medicine was invented and so much more was invented and is still going on.

I couldn't agree more.

You guys should read this article on it, the author makes some really good points.

http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=ContemporaryComputerScience&forum=discuss&id=-1