PDA

View Full Version : Detention

Pages : [1] 2

face_master
12-13-2002, 02:52 PM
Ok, so RoD thinks he has it bad. At MY school, all of the teachers dont like me. My 'computer studies' teacher doesn't like me becuase i finish all of his lame work in 45 seconds and do it better then anyone else. He actually stole my QB code and taught it to the other class!!!

Ok, get this: my firend Tom throws a BANANA at my head and my science teacher does nothing!! I thow a piece of paper back at him and I get DETENTION!!

Talk about BULL****!!

MadHatter
12-13-2002, 02:56 PM
hehe... all these posts make me glad i was homeschool all my life ;) although i'm starting college in january.. but i don't think there's detention there ;)

RoD
12-13-2002, 02:59 PM
preach it face, cuz u know its not our fault!

Scourfish
12-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Well, you're stuck with your teachers until you graduate. We've all had bad teachers. Trust me, a petty detention for throwing paper is insignificant. I've learned the hard way how to deal with teachers who don't like me and I'm going to pass on my wisdom: SUCK IT UP! Trust me, you are not as smart or above the rules as you think you are, and yes, the teacherd DO know more than you. Did you ever stop to think that the teachers single you out because you might give them a hard time or heckled them? Just because you can do a little code does not make you above your teachers; and quite frankly, all it seems to have done is give you some sort of complex. I get kind of tired of posts about how some little turd claims that a teacher is physically restraining and abusing him/her, when in fact, the turd in question just can't seem to get to the next stage of his/her life. You're in high school for friggin-sake; grow up!

compjinx
12-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Gee, and I thought I was the only homeschooler on this board

RoD
12-13-2002, 03:46 PM
>> the teacherd DO know more than you.

not rlly, some teachers don't dude.

Scourfish
12-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ride -or- Die
>> the teacherd DO know more than you.

not rlly, some teachers don't dude.

Trust me, your teachers know more than you; a case of arrogance or "l33tness" tends to blind a person.

RoD
12-13-2002, 04:01 PM
i must disagree. 99.9% of them may have at one time, cuz they have been through college, but most of them "lose the edge" after ten or so years teaching.

My comp sci teacher barely knows c++ beyond switch/small functions, which already places almost every high school student on this board above her in that area.

It depends how u speak of it, in certain specialized fields it is VERY easy for us to know more then our teachers, as a general human, well knowledge comes with age, it depends on the prospecitve of the term "smarter".

abrege
12-13-2002, 04:06 PM
I don't know why some people think that teachers are supposed perfect (Scourfish). My english teacher has horrible grammer...

Waldo2k2
12-13-2002, 05:20 PM
>>case of ignorance

sounds like you scourfish, how the hell do you know anything about his teachers?? That's a really stupid thing to say. I come from a small town, our computers class is nothing but a learn how to do word, excel, and powerpoint class. Out teacher knows NOTHING. She teaches what comes out of a book, she does not know it from experience, she just reads the text in the book and gives out assignments from sed book. The ONLY reason she is teaching the class is because she has a teaching and business degree, she was hired for cheap, and she taught a keyboarding class (even though it was typewriters) back in the day.
So think before you say things like that.

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 07:23 PM
>>she was hired for cheap, and she taught a keyboarding class (even though it was typewriters) back in the day.<<

And your point is what? Teaching, like any other industry, has to pay. I mean, it has to make money. And you make teaching sound a trivial task, believe me, TEACHING IS NOT TRIVIAL!! Face_master sounds like the kind of kid who thinks he knows it all. Believe me my friend, you know nothing. You might be able to code better than your teachers, but that is it. Your teachers have far more valuable experiance of life. And that is something you should strive to obtain, because as you get into your 20's and you leave the world of education, the real world comes upon you. THAT is when you need the benefit of that experience.

dP munky
12-13-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by minesweeper
Face_master sounds like the kind of kid who thinks he knows it all. Believe me my friend, you know nothing.whats the big deal, the guy had a bad day at school?! so he comes to the board to vent, i dont ever recal him saying he knew anything, just that the class was easy for him. WTF, why does everyone jump down each others throats?

damonbrinkley
12-13-2002, 07:43 PM
You kids can think what you want right now about your teachers but you'll grow up one day and realize how immature and childish you are at your age. I was somewhat the same and now look at things differently.

dP munky
12-13-2002, 07:49 PM
wow...what an insult
:eek:

^2 lines

RoD
12-13-2002, 07:53 PM
Thats the same with everything tho, i look back at things from a few days ago and i think i'm an idiot.

face_master
12-13-2002, 07:59 PM
I didn't say anything bout intelligence - I said that the situatuation I described to you was unfair.

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 08:05 PM
>>whats the big deal, the guy had a bad day at school?! so he comes to the board to vent<<

No, he came to the board to slag off his teachers, who despite what he thinks, have more knowledge than him. Yes, occasionally they may know less than you, believe me, I have sat through plenty of lectures where the lecturer didn't have a clue or taught something blatantly obvious, but thats life!! Deal with it. The system isn't set up for the good students, it is set up for the average student cos that is where the money lies.

RoD
12-13-2002, 08:09 PM
I think your all jumping on FM for no really good reason. So hes mad at some teachers and they probably are idiots, i know from my school years alot of mine were dumb as dirt, lay off.

dP munky
12-13-2002, 08:11 PM
did you even read the orig. post? the guy's frustrated, and you tell him thats life!? No where in the post does it say I know more than the teacher, or Im smarter than the teacher, the main part of the post was how tom threw a banana and didnt get in trouble?? GEEZE

Shadow
12-13-2002, 08:14 PM
>>whats the big deal, the guy had a bad day at school?! so he comes to the board to vent<<

No, he came to the board to slag off his teachers, who despite what he thinks, have more knowledge than him. Yes, occasionally they may know less than you, believe me, I have sat through plenty of lectures where the lecturer didn't have a clue or taught something blatantly obvious, but thats life!! Deal with it. The system isn't set up for the good students, it is set up for the average student cos that is where the money lies. Check out a school called DigiPen, the very rare instance where the above is not true.

(Yes, the above sucks, but deal with it)

RoD
12-13-2002, 08:16 PM
The thought of attendence of digipen makes my brain hurt.

www.digipen.edu

dP munky
12-13-2002, 08:16 PM
LMAO youre saying that digipen teachers know nothing?
i know for a fact they are some of the brightest minds in programming

RoD
12-13-2002, 08:17 PM
hes saying they DO as opposed to 99.9% of teachers.

dP munky
12-13-2002, 08:19 PM
aaahhh, i get it, man im so confused, a semester has warped my mind.

face_master
12-13-2002, 08:22 PM
some of you are so dumb...
I didn't say anything bout intelligence - I said that the situatuation I described to you was unfair.

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 08:24 PM
So he thinks some of his teachers are dumb?! YES!! That IS life!! You will probaly go through your WHOLE life surrounded by people you perceive as dumb!!. I get frustrated at how my mum is SO incompetent with computers!! But I don't for a second consider my mother to be any inferior than me. She has far more knowledge in other areas, I certainly wouldn't consider her dumb.

Shadow
12-13-2002, 08:26 PM
That's what I think they need more of...More schools with different teachings.

I mean, for christs sakes..in my school our Computer Concepts instructor knows nothing. Well, she knows some, but hardly. In class, she wanted to show the students IP addresses and pinging, and what not. She needed a does prompt and as all 4 sections of this ONE lab(each section holds 18 students) have WindowsXP, she said, "Hm, I don't know how I'm going to do this. I need a dos prompt but WindowsXP doesn't have one." I just smirked, "Run->cmd/command->enter". :D (This was one day after using XP, heh first thing I tried almost)

ETC. You don't even want to hear the other class stories, but anyways. This type of a thing is DIRECTED towards the mid-intelligence/mid-advanced users...not genius' You know? However, we NEED more schools like DigiPen. Not this crap... Today, we get to learn how to change our diapers and wipe our ass. YAY!!! :D

> She has far more knowledge in other areas
Yeah, but if you picked up on them, you'd probably exceed her(Except for life stuff). See, the ability to grasp onto new concepts, learn fast, and understand directions(MULTIPLE directions) in rapid succession well, is not something you learn. It's a gift.

If I said to you, "Quick, make this program you never made before in under 5 minutes." ..I bet you could do it. Things like that - bullet proofness, are a gift, not something you study.

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 08:31 PM
I have seen links to digipen. It seems like a great school, but face_master doesn't go there, he goes to an ordinary school, with ordinary kids and ordinary teachers. This debate is not about 'special' schools with special kids, it's about the ordinay schools, that most of us went to.

dP munky
12-13-2002, 08:32 PM
>>"we NEED more schools like DigiPen"

i'd have to agree w/you but i have a feeling you'll be seeing a lot more of em because DigiPen is now beginning to be taken seriously. Their accreditation proves that the governing body that, i dunno, governs colleges, is beginning to take them more seriously

Shadow
12-13-2002, 08:35 PM
I have seen links to digipen. It seems like a great school, but face_master doesn't go there, he goes to an ordinary school, with ordinary kids and ordinary teachers. This debate is not about 'special' schools with special kids, it's about the ordinay schools, that most of us went to. You're right.
I stand down.

RoD
12-13-2002, 08:38 PM
Most ordinary schools have dumb teachers, maybe it was you who went to a special school.

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 08:39 PM
I have never heard of digipen but I can only assume it's good and thus like our oxford and cambridge. Which is great, except that for the 99.9 % of the population, it is useless, because they don't go there! Teachers are not stupid, but at the same time they are not excellent. If they were excellent, why on earth would they spend their time imparting their knowledge onto ungrateful students instead of making money for themselves?.

RoD
12-13-2002, 08:41 PM
Were all human right, then htf can u say we 100% aren't smarter then them , tho you have never met them or us?? thats just ignorance to reality.

face_master
12-13-2002, 08:47 PM
ok, everyone just settle down...

and remember that you cant judge a situation there you never saw - you automatically assume that my teachers know everything and that im some punk kid who thinks hes smarter than everyone else. You're wrong.

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 08:48 PM
To ROD-- So you consider yourself smarter than every teacher you have ever come across? In every subject? I seriously doubt it!! That is the impression you are giving.

dP munky
12-13-2002, 08:51 PM
WOAH! getting out of hand, ... *steps back*

Shadow
12-13-2002, 08:51 PM
minesweeper stop being a catalyst and drop it.
Just let it go..

(I agree with BOTH of you)

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Teachers in any area are NEVER going to be the elite. If they were the elite, they wouldn't be teaching!! Teacher's pay sucks!! If they were the elite they would make far more wedge elsewhere!!

RoD
12-13-2002, 08:55 PM
See there you go putting words in peoples mouth again.

No i don't, but in certain subjects that some of my teachers have taught YES i do. Examples:

Computer Intro techer:

I had almost 12 years experience, she was in a comp intro class at the same time WE were.

Math teacher from 8th grade:

Was an english teacher, used lessons off the internet.

Web design teacher:

Didn't know what Java or Dreamweaver was.

I rest my case.

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 08:57 PM
I am sorry guys but I am not trying to cause confrontation. I just think that teachers have a tough job in our society and that they should be praised, not slated for the work they do. I have tried my hand at teaching and it is a LOT harder than people think!! They aren't experts but they do a good job and people ALWAYS blame them for this that and the other, and it ain't fair.

RoD
12-13-2002, 08:58 PM
I grant SOME teachers are taken advantage of, BUT thats not our diuscussion. OUR teachers are IDIOTS, PERIOD.

damonbrinkley
12-13-2002, 09:05 PM
One thing you guys need to understand is that anyone worth a crap in computer science or programming wouldn't be caught dead teaching high school. Why make a low salary teaching something you are very good in when you could be applying that knowledge in the workforce make probably 3-4 times that? Most teachers teaching these classes probably don't have computer related degrees....they just know more than the other faculty members and get sucked into a subject they're not comfortable with.

Like anything else in this world, there are exceptions to this. You may actually have a teacher that's very knowledgable and just teaches because they enjoy it or don't like the corporate politics or something.

My best advice is to just bear with it until you get to college where most of the professors actually have a clue.

minesweeper
12-13-2002, 09:06 PM
But ROD you say you were in computer classes for 12 years when you were taught something or other by your teacher. With 12 years experience, you are not an average student, you are a knowledgable student and one the teacher is not aiming towards.

Then you give examples of teachers that should of given lessons in dreamweaver etc. I still maintain that if I was competent in dreamweaver, the last thing I would consider is teaching ungrateful students my knowledge for considerably less money than I could earn elsewhere. It comes down to money at the end of the day. If you want expert tuition, pay for it!!

face_master
12-13-2002, 09:07 PM
OUR teachers are IDIOTS, PERIOD.

This is the bottom line. Ok. Deal with it!!!

dP munky
12-13-2002, 09:11 PM
LMFAO

Scourfish
12-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Ride -or- Die
Were all human right, then htf can u say we 100% aren't smarter then them , tho you have never met them or us?? thats just ignorance to reality.

I can say it because I went through what you kids are going through. I can remember clearly a spanish teacher who at the time I thought was out to make my life miserable. It took me nearly a year that I was giving her an equally hard time. In the case of thinking that you're smarter than a teacher and that you can pick up anything a teacher gives you or shows you faster than he/she could, then try teaching.

Scourfish
12-13-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by face_master
This is the bottom line. Ok. Deal with it!!!

If you could deal with it, then you wouldn't need to whine about it to total strangers.

face_master
12-13-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Scourfish
If you could deal with it, then you wouldn't need to whine about it to total strangers. Sad, sad attempt to make a come-back...

Shadow
12-13-2002, 10:18 PM
If you're going to keep bickering take it to PMs already. The general point has been discussed.

TechWins
12-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Some teachers are not the brighest people at all, but by no means at all are all teachers idiots. Just for example I'm going to run down the line on my teachers I have this year...

1st hr - Study Hall - no teacher

2nd hr - Programming 1 (Pascal) - The teacher is a high school Pascal teacher for a reason. I'm thinking that he ventured into programming as a new field. He teaches both VB and Pascal at our school. I know for persononal use he uses Delphi. As to C/C++ he hasn't spent much time at all on it. In general as a human he is fairly intelligent but when it comes to teaching programming he is not that great. Many of the students still have no idea what's going on in the class, and a large part of that is because he doesn't have a good method of teaching.

3rd hr - English 11 - The teacher is the biggest b*tch alive! I'm not even going to comment on her, because my hatred for her runs too deep.

4th hr - History - This teacher is a pretty good guy. He's not the smartest guy in the world, nor is he the best teacher. However, he is a good person, who has been able to get the respect of the class.

5th hr - Lunch - no teacher

6th hr - New Media 1 (it's a computer graphics type of class) - This teacher is, also, a pretty good guy. He's a good teacher, and he knows a lot about what he is teaching. I should mention that he retired from being in the computer art field a few years back. ***In the class so far we've used Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Flash.

7th hr - Trigonometry - This teacher is very smart. She's not a bad teacher at all, but she doesn't teach a class in such a way that makes it easy to learn. She also came from another field to become a math teacher.

From my experiences over the past few years, I'd say that for the most part teachers who had experience in another field for a long time are much better teachers.