PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion.

-KEN-
12-08-2002, 12:34 PM
I was at this other board, and I noticed they had a great idea. They had a "warning" count. Moderators could give each person a warning if they violated a rule, and 5 warnings got their account banned.

I rather like the idea :) I think it'd work well here.

Just my 2 cents - It gets annoying when the same people are consistently breaking rules and generally being jerks. You'd figure getting a few warnings would give them enough of a reason to shape up.

BMJ
12-08-2002, 01:46 PM
Ken... I'm gonna install that @ OTF :) :) :D

MethodMan
12-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Banned for ever? What if the individual was hepped up on goofballs, like Ned, and gets to his five count in one day. But it isnt a bad idea.

Everyone complains about post counts etc. What if you start everyone off with 5000, and then you decrease the count for every post, and when you get to 0 something happens. I dont really know what the point of it is, but why not do things differently?

RoD
12-08-2002, 01:56 PM
i had a few:

Quick Reply
No post count in GD
3 strike count for rule infringment

etc

Magos
12-08-2002, 02:58 PM
Naaah, what if a mod has a bad day and 'accidently' gives someone (s)he hates some extra 'warnings'...? :)
Corrupted mods are everywhere :p

*Magos, realizing what he just typed, silently walks away hoping no mod will ever read this...*

adrianxw
12-08-2002, 03:19 PM
>>> hoping no mod will ever read this

Hmmm!

>>> and 5 warnings got their account banned.

We are a bit more tolerent than that, but generally, if someone continually behaves like a jerk, and they have had several warnings and still continue to misbehave, and then more than one mod agrees, we can, and do ban accounts. Often, a temporary ban to make the point.

-KEN-
12-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Oh tolerance-schmolerance. Banning is fun...don't tell me you don't agree :)

::pulling collar:: But not on MY account of course...heh...heh...::runs::

DavidP
12-08-2002, 10:30 PM
What if warnings and banning led to an overpowerful aristocracy? Would democratic power be retained? What rights will the people have? Can we ban mods? :D

face_master
12-08-2002, 11:33 PM
>> No post count in GD

No, no no!! Mods already warn you, there's just no official 'count'

Polymorphic OOP
12-08-2002, 11:37 PM
My roommates were telling me about a system at some message board where after you help someone with a problem, they can choose to give you "points" (more or less depending on how much you help). Depending on how many points you have you can do things like creating a custom title or avatar. What's good about that is it makes spamming to increase your postcount rather pointless.

BMJ
12-08-2002, 11:46 PM
remember: the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is.

face_master
12-09-2002, 12:00 AM
>> remember: the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is.

Exellent...that makes me more than twice as big as BMJ.

Polymorphic OOP
12-09-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by BMJ
remember: the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is.

sadly... that is true :(

face_master
12-09-2002, 12:06 AM
>> sadly... that is true

Sure is, but wouldn't you just love to be Salem? But there's one problem with this, what about people like Prelude?

*ClownPimp*
12-09-2002, 12:19 AM
speaking of warnings, what happens when your AIM warning gets to 100%?

The strangest thing happened to me today, my warning level rose to about 25% percent in about two minutes. Considering I only converse with a couple of people on aim, and I talk to them rarely, I dont see why they would all choose to warn me at about the same time. Is somebody playing tricks on me?

face_master
12-09-2002, 12:22 AM
what does that warning on AIM mean and how is it changed?

Cheeze-It
12-09-2002, 12:22 AM
First of all, Ride-or-Die is trying to take credit for the Quick Reply
feature. I invented Quick Reply, and only an extremely evil person
would try to steal my thunder (or wind. Sunshine?)...

Second. Your idea sucks, -Ken-. Kermi hates me and has already
given me hundreds of warnings. I swear she's out to get me.
She'd ban me the first chance she got... I know she's trying to
gain the other mods' support to gang-up against me. If only I
knew what lies she was telling about me over at the mod board...

Third. We all know this board gained its popularity because of
me. This board was a memberless, GD boardless, ugly, buggy
internet nothing before I came. After news hit that 'static' (my
old name) had joined the board, membership increased by
1000%. My presence here still brings in new members. My point?
I'm great.

Ah, Memories. Boy, have things changed. I can still remember
when nvoigt had a name that I could actually pronounce. Not
any more. It's been more than a year that I've had to refer to
him as "In Voy Get." Oh, and LightatDawn. That poor, misguided
soul. I knew it would happen. I knew he'd let Cprog Mod Fame go
to his head. It's really sad. After all the years I've been a member
here, I'm the only one who hasn't been corrupted by the evils
of vBullet version 2.2.7..

Polymorphic OOP
12-09-2002, 12:23 AM
1 person can warn you up to 33% depending on how long you talked and if you swore during the conversation.

The higher your warning percent, the lower the amount of messages you can send in a given amount of time. When you get to 100% you can't sign on AIM again for about a day.

BMJ
12-09-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Polymorphic OOP
My roommates were telling me about a system at some message board where after you help someone with a problem, they can choose to give you "points" (more or less depending on how much you help). Depending on how many points you have you can do things like creating a custom title or avatar. What's good about that is it makes spamming to increase your postcount rather pointless. Yes, the store mod rules! But it's really not neccessary for a place like cprog... when the phpBB version is available I may try it out

ammar
12-09-2002, 03:35 AM
I think the forum is great as it is.
I enjoy this forum more than any other forum, especially because it's not a new one, and there are a good number of members, and almost all the questions are answered.

RoD
12-09-2002, 05:49 AM
Why not make a seperate forum section called "Program Releases/Beta's" , this would rlly clean up the c++ and game forum sections.

RoD
12-09-2002, 05:53 AM
>>stealing credit

hello i suggested this alot b4 u did.

Cheeze-It
12-09-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Ride -or- Die
>>stealing credit

hello i suggested this alot b4 u did.

I didn't "suggest" it. I "invented" it.

And no, you're wrong. The only time you've ever used the phrase
"Quick Reply" was in this thread. I looked it up... :) Boo-Ya!

ethic: 1
Ride -or- Die: 0

kermi3
12-09-2002, 06:21 AM
Second. Your idea sucks, -Ken-. Kermi hates me and has already given me hundreds of warnings. I swear she's out to get me. She'd ban me the first chance she got... I know she's trying to
gain the other mods' support to gang-up against me. If only I knew what lies she was telling about me over at the mod board...

I don't hate you ethnic *whips a paper off dartboard*. I don't hate anyone :). And I masculin!, would never gang the mods against someone. But does anyone know why the heck my button for the hole in the floor to the boiler isn't working?"

Now for the suggestions...I don't like it. I think we have a better system here. I mean, what's a "warnable" offense, I mean one-liners, code tages, homework? We'd chase off 1/2 of new users, not to mention all old users would be gone due to the one-liners :-p. Right now our system is based on mod judgement and communitcation. It works very well and the mods talk a lot. Flexability.

Kermi3

deathstryke
12-09-2002, 09:17 AM
How would banning accomplish anything on a forum where guests are allowed to post?

Polymorphic OOP
12-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by deathstryke
How would banning accomplish anything on a forum where guests are allowed to post?

I'm guessing by banning by IP, not name

kermi3
12-09-2002, 10:58 AM
In extreme cases the person is IP Banned, there have only been two people that I can recall who have been. No I won't name them.

nvoigt
12-09-2002, 12:18 PM
>Would democratic power be retained

What ? Democratic Power ? Revolution ! Blasphemy ! To Arms !

There is no democratic power. The webmaster rules and we are his evil henchmen :p

>I can still remember when nvoigt had a name that I could actually pronounce.

It has been (nv) in the past, but then the new board came and ()s were forbidden in usernames and names had to be at least 4 letters. It's still nv, just with a little bit more v than before *g* As it is just the short form for Niels Voigt ( "kneels" "foght" ) it basically stayed the same. Pronounciation would be "Enn-Foght". The i normally is pronounced like ee in German which would make it sound like void with a ght instead of d, just not in my name, it's simply left out ( don't you just love this language ? ).

kermi3
12-09-2002, 12:38 PM
There is no democratic power. The webmaster rules and we are his evil henchmen :p

Don't tell them that! Now you must find a aqua apple to sacracrafice to Fluffy! Those are her favorites you know? She gets mad we say things like that publically shhhhhhhhh...dangit i've said too much, i'm off to look for marroon carrots :rolleyes:

Esparno
12-09-2002, 12:49 PM
I think we should do what Blizzhackers does, you know where it says Member, Senior Member, ect, The mods there have the power to give someone the 'idiot' or 'gives links to trojans' tag.

lightatdawn
12-09-2002, 01:57 PM
>>Oh, and LightatDawn. That poor, misguided soul.

Its more fun when you're crazy.

>>After all the years I've been a member here, I'm the only one who hasn't been corrupted by the evils of vBullet version 2.2.7..

You dont understand; vBulletin 2.2.7 requires that moderators have mind control devices implanted to properly moderate the forums in the manner required by the vBulletin overlords all praise the masterful vBulletin Overlords for graciously allowing the webmaster to purchase their software.

>>The mods there have the power [...]

I think the Mods here should have unlimited super powers. It would make our secret gang war against ethic so much easier. ... *looks up 'secret' in the dictionary* ... damn...

kermi3
12-09-2002, 02:05 PM
You've offended fluffy L@D!!!! She has to stay happy for the sacrafice! Brush her!!!! She can't be unhappy or the sacrafice will never work. You know this L@D!

TechWins
12-09-2002, 05:12 PM
To get ideas for the cboards just go to here (http://apolyton.net/forums/index.php?s=) because that forum is the most feature ridden forum out there.

Btw, I'm not trying to promote the other forum, either.

DavidP
12-09-2002, 11:14 PM
In extreme cases the person is IP Banned, there have only been two people that I can recall who have been. No I won't name them.

Ah yes...I remember the IP banning....you banned a whole region of AOL customers didnt you? :D

face_master
12-09-2002, 11:19 PM
In extreme cases the person is IP Banned, there have only been two people that I can recall who have been. No I won't name them.And why the hell not? I know them (I think) but whats the point in not telling us.

*Remembers* Ahh, knowlege is power...