PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your desktop?

MethodMan
12-05-2002, 10:40 PM
Ive realized recently, that I barely use the desktop icons anymore, besides the recyling bin, my computer and my docs. I rarely even use the start menu. All of the programs I use frequently are in the quick launch. I think I will just cut down my desktop to those three icons.

Anyone else use the desktop icons frequently?

Polymorphic OOP
12-05-2002, 10:46 PM
yes, but i do use my desktop for just random **** i download that i tell myself i'll delete the next day but i never do (hens my desktop being completely full despite me running in 1600x1200 (yeah, that bad and i'm not exagerating). It's almost as big a mess as my REALY desktop.

Quicklaunch is the only thing i really use for shortcuts.

MadHatter
12-05-2002, 10:52 PM
i use mine once in a while, but i usually just use the quicklaunch thing. i use desktop mostly for the recycle bin, internet connector thingy, and games (since i close all the other windows when i'm going to play anyway)

alpha
12-05-2002, 11:26 PM
I use the quick launch mostly, the programs i use most often are in the quick launch. i rarely click on desktop icons, except for restart and shutdown shortcuts, its faster than start menu. i also use recycle bin(but most of the time when i delete something, i want it permanently deleted, so Shift + Delete), barely click mycomp and mydoc icons, i just use 'window key + E' to open up explorer.

master5001
12-06-2002, 03:50 AM
I'd have to say my desktkop is sounding like Polymorphic OOP's. I have a horrible habit of just putting stuff there (almost like a temp directory). I used to have everything on my quick launch, but as time goes on you get too lazy for even doing that. I actually have most of my frequently used programs come up when I right click, that way I don't have to point the mouse all the way at the bottom of the screen :)

ammar
12-06-2002, 03:54 AM
I use my desktop, for example when I'm reading a thread in this board, and I want to compile the code, I just click "show desktop" then I open the editor, and ...
Also when I make a download I store it on the DeskTop so I can easily access it, I always have the icons I need on the DeskTop, and I hate to use the start menu.

face_master
12-06-2002, 04:00 AM
Have most of my stuff on the desktop. For things I use heaps I have shortcut keys. For example whenever I want to go to cprogramming.com/cboard I hit Ctl+Alt+L

ammar
12-06-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by face_master
Have most of my stuff on the desktop. For things I use heaps I have shortcut keys. For example whenever I want to go to cprogramming.com/cboard I hit Ctl+Alt+L
Beside using the DeskTop to put your avatar:D

master5001
12-06-2002, 04:03 AM
And here i've been typing out enough of cprogramming.com/cboard for the auto-complete to finish the url....face_master I'm in your debt :)

face_master
12-06-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by master5001
And here i've been typing out enough of cprogramming.com/cboard for the auto-complete to finish the url....face_master I'm in your debt :) When on the front page (in IE), go to file, send, shortcut to desktop. Go to your desktop, right click it and in the 'shortcut key' box, type in whatever you want (in my case, 'L')