PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Posts

Staz
12-05-2002, 09:45 PM
I hope I am not over stepping what most of you think is alright but…

I am not an excellent programmer but I have done a little bit and I do browse the cboard occasionally. I probably could help with more questions/topics than I do but lately I have been noticing quite a few topics/questions with broad unrelated subjects such as: “little problem”, “Why won’t this work?”, “program question” or “can’t figure it out”. When I see a topic with a subject like this I don’t even bother to open it because I have no idea if I will be able to assist or even be interested.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same opinion.

Have a nice day…

Waldo2k2
12-05-2002, 10:03 PM
Yeah, this same complaint is in the board rules...along with a little thing about dumb threads....

Eibro
12-05-2002, 10:28 PM
... and one-liner posts.
This post is now TWO lines long.

master5001
12-06-2002, 02:37 AM
My main driving force to look at a thread is the number of responses it has received. The fewer, the more likely I am to look at it (like this one). This post has nothing to do with programming and isn't even a question. It is also something addressed in the rules of the board. This looks like general discussion board material to me.

master5001
12-06-2002, 03:11 AM
Good point Salem. Next time I have a complicated question I'll put no thought into a topic just to mix things up a bit.

foniks munkee
12-06-2002, 03:46 AM
I have to wonder if there is a deeper psychology behind some of those questions though.. I mean it is perfectly OK to ask for help for the simplest of problems, because EVERYONE has to start somewhere.

But if one can't be bothered to read the FAQ and the rules of conduct look as though they are written in MD5.. then perhaps there is a more fundamental reason behind the lack of comprehension.

Sang-drax
12-06-2002, 03:50 AM
If you want only advanced topics, visit the newsgroup
comp.lang.std.c++

This C++ forum consists of like 90+% newbie questions, so the forum would almost die without them.

ammar
12-06-2002, 03:50 AM
Acctualy yes, and I suggest that post's will "dumb" topics should be closed, what do you think?

face_master
12-06-2002, 03:53 AM
ok, this would make like 96% of my posts are dumb/one-liners
// 2nd line
// 3rd line

ammar
12-06-2002, 03:58 AM
A one line post is not always bad, sometimes it's just better to use one line if you can make your idea clear, I don't like to read long posts, short ones are better.

master5001
12-06-2002, 04:00 AM
Lets face it the boards give us a way of killing time while obtaining the satisfaction of spreading your knowledge and wisdom by helping someone. Or flame retards.

face_master
12-06-2002, 04:11 AM
>> Or flame retards.

Mmmm. I like mine extra crispy :)

Necrodeemer
12-06-2002, 05:54 AM
I agree with the rants about annoying threads, and I agree that people should put an appropriate title.

BUT, this forum is an absolute haven for newbies like me. I have difficulty learning from books, and I cannot always get access to my tutor. SO if I have a problem what do I do, MSDN is crap, online tutes don't always give you the exact answer that you want and books are expensive to purchase.

By using a forum, it builds a community that helps each other to improve their skills, it's like Microsoft suddenly releasing all their secrets, only without Bill Gates.

So thanks everyone who helps out me and other newbies.

Staz
12-06-2002, 08:51 AM
I am sorry for posting this topic and doing so in the wrong area of the forum. I should have looked in the rules but I was just wondering what the general users thought. I posted it in the C++ section of the forum because that is where I usually browse and I se most of the general subjects.

nugget_head
12-06-2002, 01:31 PM
i posted the topic "little problem" that you mentioned as my first post on this forum. i see you've posted 6 times - does that give you the right to criticize other's posts? well, then, if that's the case, i need about 3 more and i'll be all over Staz.

MadHatter
12-06-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by nugget_head
i posted the topic "little problem" that you mentioned as my first post on this forum. i see you've posted 6 times - does that give you the right to criticize other's posts? well, then, if that's the case, i need about 3 more and i'll be all over Staz.

this doesn't really have anything to do with how long people have been around, and i don't think staz mean to single you out or anything..
the fact is that your topic could have had a better title, such as "problem with getline" (i think that's what it was about). it will help you get your question answered faster (people who know about the topic will more likely look at it) and help people browsing the forum (people that know nothing about it can just skip over it). i'm not trying to pick on you, or anything.. i just think meaningful titles are helpful to everyone.

Aran
12-06-2002, 03:17 PM
nugget_head:

ok, i've got over a thousand posts here, and i've been around since the summer of 2001 when this manifestation of the board actually came into existance and i also find it to be ridiculous that people can't logically name posts in the programming forums. I also find it repulsive that people don't read a few posts before asking a completely stupid, already answered question (as in the "what API should i use" and "how should i start game programming" threads in the Game Programming board).

Shadow12345
12-06-2002, 04:02 PM
I try to make all of my posts as specific as possible it ........es me off when people just write "I can't figure this out". whenever I see something like that my mind reads it as "I am a helpless little slut who should be tied down to a chair and whipped a thousand times with a chainsaw blade naked in siberia with chinese monks throwing needles at the pupils of my eye". but that's just me.

Shadow
12-06-2002, 07:38 PM
> i've been around since the summer of 2001 when this manifestation of the board actually came into existance
I've been around since then too. A good time before my registering date, but, the board has been around a long time before that AFAIK. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's been around since about 1998, but don't quote me on that.

The webmaster needs to receive a peition from us which votes for him to add some sort of a database to the forum when people post. If your subject line matches any of the following..

Help
Heeeeeeelp meeeeeeee
I NEED HELP!!!!
THIS WON'T WORK!!!!!!!!!
Why won't this work?
Me again!?!?!?
Something's wrong!
How do you do this?

...the forum will give you an error message telling you to rephrase your subject field into something a little bit more descriptive.

Then again, I'm wishing for the impossible by asking for new code being added to the site/any updates taking place. :rolleyes:

> but that's just me.
That creates THE most graphic picture I've ever seen.
Well, I guess it doesn't beat describing somebody farting like..
"Man, it sounded like Donald Duck blowing his nose really hard mixed with somebody dumping a big bucket of wet mud off from a roof top down onto concrete."

Aran
12-06-2002, 10:43 PM
>>I've been around since then too. A good time before my registering date, but, the board has been around a long time before that AFAIK. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's been around since about 1998, but don't quote me on that.<<

yeah, that's sounds about right. I'm just giving the other person an idea of how long i've been here.

I first registered summer of last year... that was on the old ultraboard.