PDA

View Full Version : Anyone around here fluent in ti83?

deathstryke
12-04-2002, 08:34 AM
I was just wondering. I tend to do most of my programming on it since it happens to be on me at all times and is thus more convenient than c++. I'm currently trying to make a program to handle the "ambiguous case of the law of sines" that I'm having difficulty with. Here's the code.

:Lbl {theta}
:0->A:0->B:0->C:0->E:0->F:0->G:0->H:0->{theta}
: Disp "SIDE?"
:Input A
:Input B
: Disp "ANGLE OPPOSITE SECOND SIDE?"
:Input {theta}
:A(sin({theta})->H
:If B<H
:Then
: Disp "NO SOLUTION"
:If B>H and A>B
:Goto A
:If B>H and A<B
:Goto B
:Lbl B
:asin((Asin(B))/B)->C
:180-({theta}+C)->D
: (Bsin(D))/sin({theta})->E
:ClrHome
: Disp "SOLUTIONS:"
: Disp "SIDE 1: "B
: Disp "ANGLE 1: "{theta}
: Disp "SIDE 2: "A
: Disp "ANGLE 2: "C
: Disp "SIDE 3: "E
: Disp "ANGLE 3: "D
:Pause
:Goto {theta}

Shadow12345
12-04-2002, 09:04 AM
I'm interested. I don't do any calculator programming, but it seems all the people who are best at computer programming have done at least some calc programming at one time or another.

deathstryke
12-04-2002, 09:15 AM
The spaces before some of the commands are because the board thought that they were smileys. {theta} means greek letter theta.

The code is for the ti83 plus silver edition in case it makes a difference.

webturtle0
12-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Where exactly do you enter codes for ti83? Is it relatively easy to learn?

Commander
12-04-2002, 01:51 PM
>> Where exactly do you enter codes for ti83?
there is a little text screen that pops up in the calculator

i was gonna learn how to preogram t6he graphing calculator too, but typing with the numpad and looking in that small screen ........ed me off(and most of my progs weren't working eirther) so i quit.

Sang-drax
12-04-2002, 04:09 PM
The Ti83 (without plus) sucks.

Do you ask why? Try this:

Plot the graph y = 1/x
Press "calc"
Calculate the derivative for x=0

Poof!!

The screen goes blank and the memory with all data and saved programs is cleared. :D
To make the calculator work again, press reset, insert the batteries backwards, press the on button, insert the batteries correctly and start the calculator.

At my school, almost every student used the Ti83. I was using Casio and made a lot of fun of that bug. :)

Captain Penguin
12-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Sang-drax
The Ti83 (without plus) sucks.

Do you ask why? Try this:

Plot the graph y = 1/x
Press "calc"
Calculate the derivative for x=0

Poof!!

The screen goes blank and the memory with all data and saved programs is cleared. :D
To make the calculator work again, press reset, insert the batteries backwards, press the on button, insert the batteries correctly and start the calculator.

At my school, almost every student used the Ti83. I was using Casio and made a lot of fun of that bug. :)

Hmm thats odd. I'll have to try that with the TI83's at my school sometimes.

Regardless, TI is so much better than other calculator brands its not funny. Casio and HP are terrible compared to a good 'ol ti83+ IMHO.

DarkViper
12-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Texas Instruments is what ti stands for right? and 83? as for that number, ill hafta see what my schoiols calculator is.

neo_strife
12-04-2002, 05:19 PM
Where exactly do you enter codes for ti83? Is it relatively easy to learn?

Just hit the program key "PRGM" then go to "NEW" then "CREATE NEW". Now just name the program and write the code.

Its not hard to learn, if you have the book that came with the calculator it can teach you the basics.

Personally I think its a pain to write programs on the calculator. Mainly because of the key setup.

DarkViper
12-04-2002, 05:47 PM
i find it hard to find any keys on the new TI stuff. i actually had a tough time finding the equals sign. problem was, on this one, i needed to press shift (or 2nd functions for the rest of you)

Cgawd
12-04-2002, 07:05 PM
i have the TI-89, im not all calculator techie, but i think its way better than the 83/83+, IMO by the 3d animated graphing function, thats neato. Also it solves equations for you and what not.

Captain Penguin
12-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Cgawd
i have the TI-89, im not all calculator techie, but i think its way better than the 83/83+, IMO by the 3d animated graphing function, thats neato. Also it solves equations for you and what not.

The TI-89 is quite an awesome calculator, but because of its cost ($160+) and its difficulty to use, it's not nearly as popular as the TI83/+. I'd have a TI89 if I could afford it :)

Cgawd
12-04-2002, 07:22 PM
its quite easy to use once you associate yourself with its GUI, and numerous features, takes a while though.

Cheeze-It
12-04-2002, 07:30 PM
I have a Ti89... Is it true that some calculators aren't allowed on
ACT/SAT type tests (College Placement Tests... ya know..) If so,
is the Ti89 one of them?

neo_strife
12-04-2002, 08:15 PM
I have a Ti89... Is it true that some calculators aren't allowed on

No, Ti 89 calculators are not allowed on the ACT niether are Ti 92s. Any calculator with a QWERTY key format or wireless communication device, as well as, calculators with built-in computer algebra systems are prohibited.

If you completely cover the infrared port on wireless communication devices they are allowed.

Cgawd
12-04-2002, 08:25 PM
No, Ti 89 calculators are not allowed on the ACT niether are Ti 92s. Any calculator with a QWERTY key format or wireless communication device, as well as, calculators with built-in computer algebra systems are prohibited.

If you completely cover the infrared port on wireless communication devices they are allowed.

TI89 is allowed on both ACT and SAT. It does not have a QWERTY key format, nor wireless communication device, as for the algebra systems thing, u can put that on the 83 if u wanted. anyways, the proctors check calcs in both tests and clearly read the TI-89 on my calculator and approved accordingly.

Sang-drax
12-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Captain Penguin

Regardless, TI is so much better than other calculator brands its not funny. Casio and HP are terrible compared to a good 'ol ti83+ IMHO.

I disagree :)

Here's a (biased) comparision between a Casio and a Ti83, the Casio costs less.
http://www.casio.com/education/downloads/pdffiles/83vs9850+.pdf

There is one BIG downside with ti83 compared to Casio, for example: There is no GUI.
If you want to use the function binompdf(,,) you have to know the order in which the arguments should be typed. With Casio, the GUI takes care of that with menus. Much better.

golfinguy4
12-05-2002, 01:29 PM
TI-89's are awesome. Don't even bother buying an 83 for $100 when you can get an 89 for $130. 89's are about 10x stronger.

And yes, they are allowed on the SAT's and ACT's (in calculator permitted areas of course).

neo_strife
12-05-2002, 05:51 PM
TI89 is allowed on both ACT and SAT. It does not have a QWERTY key format, nor wireless communication device, as for the algebra systems thing, u can put that on the 83 if u wanted. anyways, the proctors check calcs in both tests and clearly read the TI-89 on my calculator and approved accordingly.

I don't think schools are checking properly for calculators that have been prohibited. The day before the test I went through and deleted all my programs expecting them check my calc. They didn't check it at all.

The info I posted on what calculators are allowed and what ones aren't came from,

www.act.org/aap/taking/calculator.html (http://www.act.org/aap/taking/calculator.html)

I don't know, mabe i'm insane, it wouldn't suprise me.

Cgawd
12-05-2002, 06:10 PM
youre right, thats what it says on the site, i gues theres some flaw between the ACT company based out of Iowa and the Proctors they hire. At least here in Tampa Florida at test center Walter L. Sickles High School. it clearly states on their site its prohibited, in bold. i dont know what the deal is.

edit>> maybe its a new rule?

deathstryke
12-05-2002, 07:37 PM
Seriously, does anyone know much about programming the friggin' thing? I wouldn't have posted that code if I didn't have hope of getting help. It's so hard to find a decent website through all the filters we have at school and I don't get after school access very often.

golfinguy4
12-05-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by deathstryke
I was just wondering. I tend to do most of my programming on it since it happens to be on me at all times and is thus more convenient than c++. I'm currently trying to make a program to handle the "ambiguous case of the law of sines" that I'm having difficulty with. Here's the code.

: Disp "ANGLE OPPOSITE SECOND SIDE?"
:A(sin({theta})->H
: Disp "NO SOLUTION"
:asin((Asin(B))/B)->C
: (Bsin(D))/sin({theta})->E
: Disp "SOLUTIONS:"
: Disp "SIDE 1: "B
: Disp "ANGLE 1: "{theta}
: Disp "SIDE 2: "A
: Disp "ANGLE 2: "C
: Disp "SIDE 3: "E
: Disp "ANGLE 3: "D

A(sin({theta})->H
You have too many open parenthesis here.

Also, whenever you have a Then, you should use an End to end the then. Kind of like { and } in C/C++. Then={ and End=}

deathstryke
12-05-2002, 08:33 PM
the big issue is that it won't output anything when I input a one solution case. I changed the code earlier (will post in the morning) to be better mathematically, but it still doesn't work.

deathstryke
12-06-2002, 10:46 AM
New code:

:Disp "SIDE?"
:Disp "ANGLE OPPOSITE SECOND SIDE?"
:Asin({theta})->H
:Disp "NO SOLUTION"
:End
:If B=H
:Goto C
:asin((Asin({theta}))/B)->C
:(Bsin(D))/sin({theta})->E
:Disp "SOLUTIONS:"
:Disp "SIDE 1: ",B
:Disp "ANGLE 1: ",{theta}
:Disp "SIDE 2: ",A
:Disp "ANGLE 2: ",C
:Disp "SIDE 3: ",E
:Disp "ANGLE 3: ",D

golfinguy4
12-06-2002, 10:10 PM
:Disp "ANGLE OPPOSITE SECOND SIDE?"
:Asin({theta})->H
:Disp "NO SOLUTION"
:Stop
:If B>H
:If A>B
:If A<B
:If B=H
:Goto C
:asin((Asin({theta}))/B)->C
:(Bsin(D))/sin({theta})->E
:Disp "SOLUTIONS:"
:Disp "SIDE 1: ",B
:Disp "ANGLE 1: ",{theta}
:Disp "SIDE 2: ",A
:Disp "ANGLE 2: ",C
:Disp "SIDE 3: ",E
:Disp "ANGLE 3: ",D

As I told you, all of your then's need an end. Also, if you only want the 1 line after an if executed, a then/end isn't needed. I also took the liberty of optimizing the code a bit.

deathstryke
12-09-2002, 08:21 AM
thanx man, it worked like a charm. What confuses me is that I made a big (2Kish) program with if then loops everywhere without a single end that works just fine. The program was designed to roll stats for d&d using various methods. Oh well, now I just have to get the rest of the program working and formatted for the screen.

Esparno
12-09-2002, 12:56 PM
If you ever have troubles again PM me, ive made several (10-12) games for the TI-83 plus, but I stopped when the limitations ........ed me off, I tried to learn asm coding with it, but it was too confusing, I would have helped you but havent been on in the past few weeks. :rolleyes:

deathstryke
12-10-2002, 08:04 AM
Will do. Programming really helps pass the time in math.