PDA

View Full Version : Quick Reply.

Cheeze-It
12-04-2002, 01:04 AM
I came up with this idea late last night. It came to me in a dream.
I invented it...

Anyway, here's how it works...

You see, sometimes you want to reply quickly to something, but
clicking on "Post Reply" and waiting for the reply screen to appear
takes way too long... So, at the end of each page there should
be a little box where you can quickly type your reply in and
submit it.

This board needs one of those. My idea. I invented it. All ethic, baby.

face_master
12-04-2002, 01:17 AM
My idea. I invented it. All ethic, baby....despite popular belief...

Hammer
12-04-2002, 04:37 AM
>>quick reply
You mean like the one used here (http://www.flashdaddee.com/forums/).

>>My idea. I invented it. All ethic, baby.
You're a scream :D :D

ammar
12-04-2002, 04:41 AM
That's a nice idea, although it's not new, I've seen it in many forums before, but I think it will take a long time to load a page with the reply at the bottom, so it's better to go to "post reply" when you want to reply instead of having a "quick reply" at the bottom of each page.

mithrandir
12-04-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by ammar
That's a nice idea, although it's not new, I've seen it in many forums before, but I think it will take a long time to load a page with the reply at the bottom, so it's better to go to "post reply" when you want to reply instead of having a "quick reply" at the bottom of each page.

Actually it is a lot faster to load a text box than a whole new page. Trust me, as a 56ker you'll want to use QR.

ammar
12-04-2002, 08:45 AM
mithrandir, I mean that you'll have to load that text box whenever you read a thread, and ofcourse you are not going to reply to all the threads you read, so when you want to reply you just open the reply page, even if it will take long time to load.
What do you think?

mithrandir
12-04-2002, 09:24 AM
>>I mean that you'll have to load that text box whenever you read a thread, and ofcourse you are not going to reply to all the threads you read<<

Yes, that is the point of quick reply, so that if you have a slow connection or want to reply to a thread quickly you can do so without having to load up a new page. A text box does not slow down the loading of a thread, or indeed any HTML file. If you go to www.flashdaddee.com/forums/ and load a thread that is the same size as here, you'll see it will take exactly (well almost ;)) the same amount of time to load, despite the fact that FD uses a quick reply for each page.

MethodMan
12-04-2002, 09:45 AM
WOW. Ethic, what a great idea, and you came up with that all by yourself! Id love to see it here.

This board doesnt seem to change much, flashdadde has all that Christmas music, and other boards have smilies with little santa hats, what do we get?

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/biggrinsanta.gif

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/Bizkit/xmas.gif

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/guus/kerstsmiley.gif

IMG tags dont even work here with urls, but they do at flashdadde!!!!!!

sentienttoaster
12-04-2002, 10:41 AM
its a good idea, but, too many ppl would abuse it.

webturtle0
12-04-2002, 11:03 AM
I want smilies with santa hats. I have a planet with a smiley hat.

webturtle0
12-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by webturtle0
I want smilies with santa hats. I have a planet with a smiley hat.

I have a planet with a "santa" hat. I don't know what a smiley hat looks like.

MethodMan
12-04-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by sentienttoaster
its a good idea, but, too many ppl would abuse it.

Would abuse what? Using the image tag with a url in it? Wouldnt the image be loading from the url, and not putting strain on this server? I thought that is how it worked.

civix
12-04-2002, 11:46 AM
Yeah, bunches of boards have that. I post at several with it.

Govtcheez
12-04-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty sure all those other boards stole the idea from ethic, since he came up with it first.

mithrandir
12-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Ethic rules SLC!

ammar
12-06-2002, 04:19 AM
mithrandir, I think you are right, if the "QuickReply" is only a simple textbox, it won't take a long time to load.

face_master
12-06-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
I'm pretty sure all those other boards stole the idea from ethic, since he came up with it first. Oh crap!! You mean ethic isn't a chick?? I have been grosely misinformed !!

master5001
12-06-2002, 05:09 AM
Hey guys I just thought of something that could totally replace mail! I call them virtual letters and you send them electronically!

Hillbillie
12-07-2002, 02:32 AM
Nah, that wouldn't work. You can't send a box through the Internet, silly...