PDA

View Full Version : What is this program called?

DarkViper
12-01-2002, 04:52 PM
there is a program out there in which you can run any windows program under Linux. i want to get ManDrake Linux PowerPack 9.0 and i want to run programs like Flash MX(which has no Linux Version available) under linux with the windows version. what is this program called? i got info that it was XBill, but it was just a game. -_-'. if someone knows, then please tell me. Linux is awsome, but i want that program, and two more thigns if ya got it:

1. what is the program called?
2. what is the website to it if it has any?
3. where would i be able to find it?
4. how much would it cost canadian?

thank you

*edit* also, sorry if there was already a post on this already, but i dont have the time to look, sorry.

DarkViper
12-01-2002, 11:15 PM
thanks for the two suggestions but Wine sounds good.

n the future, i want NOTHING to do with the Windows OS. i just want Linux. the only reason i want WINE is so i can use Windows Utilities that are still really good but dont have Linux Support bu itself. such as MacroMedia Flash MX Development Studio. that has no Linux Support and its what i have on here. and i have too many projects that im working on to give up flash cuz i cant use it.

will WINE also run Windows intended games as well? such as Half Life with ease too?

unixOZ
12-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Wine is a really great program, it allowed me to totally be windows independant :D

Fredd
12-02-2002, 12:54 PM
there is also Win4Lin, it's kinda expensive but it might be worth a look

DarkViper
12-04-2002, 04:57 PM
well then why dont you just run windows unixOZ?

how good are todays Linux programs? like what kind of text editor does linux have? can it edit HTML and stuff too?

what browser is recommended for Linux? mozilla?

Lynux-Penguin
12-05-2002, 01:58 AM
Suggestion:
Dont use WINE or vmWare although some can be good both ultimately are not perfect
the only really good way is to do a dual boot and then in linux mount the fat32 or ntfs file system and get the files you were working on.

-Luke

DOlson
12-05-2002, 01:27 PM
I agree.

Wine isn't a solution. It crashes more than Windows does, it's buggy, and slow.

I haven't had Windows installed since mid-August, and I don't even notice that it's not there.

Now if only BioWare would release the Linux client for NWN...