PDA

View Full Version : best sport

Pages : [1] 2

bob20
11-25-2002, 12:16 PM
What is the best sport in the world?
In my opinion rugby is the best sport in the world. It's just simply awsome.

Shiro
11-25-2002, 12:30 PM
That defines on how you define "best sport". In my opinion best sport to do is hiking in a rough area, for example the French central massive, the Swiss Alpes, Lappland or the Hardangervidda. Best sport to go to with your friends is soccer. Best sport to see on TV with a good beer is motorracing.

Shadow
11-25-2002, 12:35 PM
> What is the best sport in the world?
Sex.

Competitive stuff' :D

biosninja
11-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Sex.

A very good workout.

Best sport : Martial arts

Brian
11-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by bob20
What is the best sport in the world?

Throwing mustard-filled socks out of the windows of your place of work/residence onto bypassers.

adamviper
11-25-2002, 01:47 PM
Paintball
beacuse it actually does not hurt asd much as people think.

PJYelton
11-25-2002, 01:50 PM
Most stimulating: chess
Most fun: skiing/river rafting
Best to watch on TV: football

Cgawd
11-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Most stimulating: chess
how is sitting down, staring at a board, and every minute or so moving ur hand, stimulating???? :rolleyes:

mepaco
11-25-2002, 02:35 PM
I have to go with PJYelton. Football (the American kind) is the best. I'm always sad when the season is over.

PJYelton
11-25-2002, 03:30 PM
how is sitting down, staring at a board, and every minute or so moving ur hand, stimulating????

Same reason programming is stimulating! Challenges the mind! Or do you not find programming stimulating either? :confused:

Cgawd
11-25-2002, 03:56 PM
ok, i just dont like chess.yes programming is very stimulating

crag2804
11-25-2002, 05:30 PM
Football ( soccer to those of you in america ), you can't beat a good 35 yard strike that flys into the back of a net.

minesweeper
11-25-2002, 05:42 PM
Definitely with crag2804 on this one. Not my favourite sport to play but when you are a few sheets to the wind down the battlecruiser with your chums, jar in one hand, England flag in the other and Beckham slams one in past the Argies, ahhhhhhh the best feeling EVER!! Even better when it's a world cup!!

crag2804
11-25-2002, 05:44 PM
A fellow follower, nice. Remember the Greece game, perfect example of why football is great. Time is counting down, still need to score a goal. 93rd minute and we have a free kick. Beckham's been trying all night and not hit the target yet.
The balls takes flight and GOAL.
That was a great moment!!!!

minesweeper
11-25-2002, 05:47 PM
I think the entire country went mental for the rest of the night.

And not to mention the 5 - 0 result with a certain European rival.

kermi3
11-25-2002, 05:51 PM
fresbee, there's no question. That's the best game to play, followed closely by ping pong and badminton.

All sports where yo can suck and havce a blast.

Shadow
11-25-2002, 07:39 PM
> All sports where yo can suck and havce a blast.
LIKE I WAS SAYING!!!! ...Sex! :D

bob20
11-25-2002, 08:34 PM
Soccer is a good sport, but I still say that rugby is the best. I long for the feeling of stepping onto the feild for a good match.

Prelude
11-25-2002, 09:02 PM
Tennis. It can be very exciting when two great players face each other and most of the time it isn't terribly violent like some of those bloodsports out there, American football and real football come to mind. :rolleyes:

-Prelude

bob20
11-25-2002, 09:05 PM
as for blood sports what about rugby?

Prelude
11-25-2002, 09:07 PM
>as for blood sports what about rugby?
I didn't want to list too many, I might hit the character limit for a post. :D

-Prelude

bob20
11-25-2002, 09:09 PM
I see!

mithrandir
11-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Cricket.

MethodMan
11-25-2002, 10:03 PM
I dont think I have a favourite..

Favourite sports to watch: Hockey, World Cup Soccer, Nine Ball Pool (not really a sport, but on the sports channels), Curling, Tennis

Favourite sports to play: Hockey, Tennis, Basketball, Curling (Yes it is a SPORT!!!), Baseball, Pool

Sports I would like to try: Cricket, American football (only with all the equipment, just to take a hit one time)

bob20
11-25-2002, 10:05 PM
MethodMan-

You should try rugby it's an awsome sport.

PJYelton
11-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Tennis. It can be very exciting when two great players face each other and most of the time

I used to love watching tennis, but I think mens tennis is terribly boring right now off clay courts. Most points are from aces or service winners, and the ones that make it back are slammed right away by the serve and volley'ers. Womens tennis is better, but with the Williams sisters its starting to get more like the men :(

Govtcheez
11-25-2002, 10:17 PM
> the Williams sisters its starting to get more like the men

Yeah - now it's not who out of the whole field will win - it's who will win - Venus or Serena.
Watching tennis has never been my particular brand of beer, but I was glued to my TV when Agassi and Sampras played each other earlier this year.

MethodMan
11-25-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> the Williams sisters its starting to get more like the men

Yeah - now it's not who out of the whole field will win - it's who will win - Venus or Serena.
Watching tennis has never been my particular brand of beer, but I was glued to my TV when Agassi and Sampras played each other earlier this year.

I agree. The Us Open match was like the classic battle, just like years ago except both were in their prime.

The Williams sisters are pushing the envelope for women's tennis, just as Woods did with golf. Other women are going to have to bulk up, or do whatever the sisters are doing to compete. If they dont, just as Govtvheez mentioned it will be which one of them will win.

I dont tend to watch women's tennis for the quality, thats what men's tennis is for, hehe. I watch women's tennis for the women!

@ bob20, I think rugby is a crazy sport, Im not that big, 6'3", 160. I would get killed.

PJYelton
11-25-2002, 10:31 PM
I watch women's tennis for the women!

Yeah, too bad Kournikova can't win a match to save her life, I could definately watch more of her :D

face_master
11-26-2002, 12:22 AM
Playing: Judo - " Kill your opponent fair and square ;) "
Watching: Cricket, footy

minesweeper
11-26-2002, 03:58 AM
Cricket, bit boring to watch.....and England are useless, but good fun to play.

Tennis, yeah great sport both to watch and play. What I love about it is when you see a relative underdog make his/her dreams come true. Like Goran ivanisevic a couple of years ago winning wimbledon. That's what those tournaments are really about. Magical!!

ammar
11-26-2002, 06:19 AM
For sure it's Martial Arts, I play Karate.
I really like it.

minesweeper
11-26-2002, 06:22 AM
I do jitsu but I don't really consider that a sport.

bob20
11-26-2002, 09:03 AM
I've done a little bit of martial arts in my time. I think that it definatly can be a sport.

Rugby is still the best!

ammar
11-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Ofcourse it's a sport, what else would you call it:confused:

Clyde
11-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Best.........hmmm I love to Fence, so that would be my favourite to practice, to watch.....hmm... football (soccer) for reasons already mentioned, although it must be said i don't go in for watching sport in a particularly big way.

But rugby? Man i HATE rugby, my blasted school made me play that damned sport for FIVE FREAKING YEARS, there are no words that express my loathing for it. But hey, each to their own =)

bob20
11-26-2002, 08:29 PM
How can someone hate rugby, it's such an awsome sport? What's not to love?

Shadow12345
11-26-2002, 09:16 PM
I played ice hockey from 3rd to beginning of 9th grade, i used to love it

jawwadalam
11-26-2002, 09:49 PM
I dont like any sport to play..but I like to watch many sports..
Cricket, Football, Tennis, Bedminton, Table Tennis... a Long Queue.... :D

Esparno
11-26-2002, 10:09 PM
Extreme walking, and thats that.

wimpy poster
11-26-2002, 11:04 PM
my favs:

physical: fencing (swimming is runner up)
mental: any fun board game like chess or othello (I love stalling... seeing how people don't have any patience).

those are my current favs.
they change when I find something new and challenging.

Stoned_Coder
11-27-2002, 07:15 AM
To watch:- Cricket

To play :- Billiards,snooker and chess

adamviper
11-27-2002, 08:34 AM
ah bob20 you bought me i love rugby too thanks for letting me see the light.

bob20
11-27-2002, 08:36 AM
ah bob20 you bought me i love rugby too thanks for letting me see the light.

No problem. Any day that I can bring another to the joy of rugby is a good day for me.

dukemarlon
11-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Rugby is definattly my favorite sport. Can't beat Rugby!!!

webturtle0
11-27-2002, 11:21 AM
C++ Programming, the sport.

neo_strife
11-27-2002, 07:19 PM
C++ programming is with out a doubt the best sport.

bob20
11-27-2002, 07:44 PM
Rugby is definattly my favorite sport. Can't beat Rugby!!!

I'm with you on that one!

Cruxus
11-27-2002, 10:48 PM
Favorites:
To play (team): soccer. Even if you're not great at it, it is still the most physically demanding sport, as said in Dogma. It is quite a thrill to chase after the ball and stop the other team from scoring. Scoring goals of your own is even more fun.

To engage in (solo): bicycling. Riding down a nice riverside trail on a pleasant summer afternoon is fun and good exercise. Swimming is also enjoyable, but, at least the way I do it, it is more of a leisure or exercise than sport.

To watch: baseball. If you've ever been to Busch Stadium, there is a certain aura about the place. Baseball is deeply embedded, along with soccer, in the culture of St. Louis (the Cardinals).

New (to me): I have recently started to play tennis, and it can be fun--when I can keep the ball inside the court. I'm improving; it's too bad winter has prevented me from continuing to develop skill in this activity.

Least favorites:
To play/watch (team): American football, basketball, hockey.
To watch: The Olympics (winter and summer)

Not familiar with:

I have neither played nor watched the peculiar "British" sports of cricket or rugby. Like many Americans, I only have the vaguest understanding of the rules of these games and what typically happens in them.

"Blood sports":

Isn't this the phrase used by those who would have sports like soccer, American football, basketball, rugby, Extreme Shuffleboard (R), etc. banned from schools and public culture--like cockfighting was? I think kids should be allowed to continue to enjoy these sports, but high schools should not focus on the men's varsity football team or soccer team as much as many do: School is for academics first.

bob20
11-27-2002, 10:51 PM
I have neither played nor watched the peculiar "British" sports of cricket or rugby. Like many Americans, I only have the vaguest understanding of the rules of these games and what typically happens in them.
That's one of the things that gets me. There is so much coverage of other sports, but you never see anything on rugby in America.
It's so hard for people to become exposed to it.

Also, I agree that schools need to put academics first.