PDA

View Full Version : Canada vs. US

DarkViper
11-12-2002, 07:02 PM
when/if/now-that you are 18, would you consider moving to canada, or if you are canadian, would you move to america?

and please supply a logical reason for your response.

correlcj
11-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by DarkViper
when/if/now-that you are 18, would you consider moving to canada, or if you are canadian, would you move to america?

and please supply a logical reason for your response.

I have only one logical reason spock. Stay because its to damn COLD!
;)
cj

MethodMan
11-12-2002, 07:36 PM
Ive never been to the states, except for shopping once, but I didnt experience much, so I cant say I wouldnt like it. However, Ive lived in Canada my entire life. I enjoy it, and dont think I would move.

It is not always cold. Only during the winter. We do have four seasons you know.

XSquared
11-12-2002, 08:01 PM
I'm Canadian, and I love it here, and I wouldn't move to the USA, unless there was a good job offer there :D

Imperito
11-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Didn't we have this thread a few months back, during that whole "this vs that" phase?

TheUnheardHuman
11-12-2002, 10:36 PM
cant like the women in canada wlka around topless? that makes me want to vote for canada

TechWins
11-12-2002, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't mind living in Canada for a short time, but I still want to live most of my life in the US. I love my country.

The five places I would like to visit the most outside of my country would be Sydney, Toronto, London, Paris, and Rome. If I'm able to visit all five of those places in my life, then I'll have lived a very good life.

Diamonds
11-13-2002, 03:23 AM
Canada is too cold.

I live in California, and I complain about the cold durning the Winter here. And I live in Southern California at that.

I would litterally freeze if I moved to canada.

besides I don't like living in igloos :)
heheh j/k

DarkViper
11-13-2002, 11:13 AM
move to summerland BC. we have only 1 week of winter here. its close to the equater is why. just dont live in Prince George. as it is only 1 week of summer there. a great place for snowmobiling though :D my favorite thing to do.

Sindol
11-13-2002, 11:26 AM
I drive up to Canada for two reasons and two reasons alone, and that's 1. Too lose all my money at the slots and 2. Let it slip to the border guards at the Ambassador Bridge that we may or may not have a bomb in my friend's car on the way back (I'm usually a little liquored up).

DarkViper
11-13-2002, 11:28 AM
canada, the land of beer ;) and hot chicks walking around with their tops off in bikinies. cant get much better than that on a warm day ;)

maes
11-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Canada all the way baby:D (well, after Belgium )

salvelinus
11-13-2002, 06:54 PM
Canadians are usually pretty nice, remind me of 1950's US. Except for the Quebecois. No English allowed, but the rest of Canada has to be bi-lingual. What the hell is that?
Otherwise, except for a few constitutional protections, Canada's a generally friendlier place to live.

correlcj
11-13-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by TheUnheardHuman
cant like the women in canada wlka around topless? that makes me want to vote for canada

If so I'll have to move there.

HE! HE! HE!:D
;)

Imperito
11-14-2002, 12:01 AM
Well I can't seem to get a clickie so I'll just post the map. Does anyone live near this region of Canada? Would you want to? Also, if you know, what were they smoking?

ygfperson
11-14-2002, 06:29 PM
i like america. it's generally one of the most diverse cultures, and we still keep a solid identity as americans (and unlike the canadians). we have the constitution, first of its kind and very stable. we don't have to spend money on a wasteful monarchy that's around only for cerimonal purposes. most importantly, we have unbelievable world power. imagine canada trying to get something done in the world scene with only its own clout to rely on. :p

minesweeper
11-14-2002, 06:55 PM
i like america. it's generally one of the most diverse cultures, and we still keep a solid identity as americans (and unlike the canadians). we have the constitution, first of its kind and very stable. we don't have to spend money on a wasteful monarchy that's around only for cerimonal purposes. most importantly, we have unbelievable world power. imagine canada trying to get something done in the world scene with only its own clout to rely on.

Without starting an argument I would have to differ in my opinions here. I have been to Canada just the once but I was overwhelmed by their sense of 'Canadianism' if their is such a word. I mean there were Canadian flags EVERYWHERE!! Offices, houses, petrol stations, and their wasn't even a world cup on (not that Canada would have been in it anyway :) ).

What you say about world issues, well I would agree but don't forget, despite it's gargantuan size, their are only 30 million people in Canada. There is over 8 times that in the states. I mean my diddy little Island (England) is twice as populated. One thing I will say though is that, justified or not (I don't really care), there is a lot of anti-american feeling in the world today. I have never however heard anything bad said about the Canadians. In my experience Canada is a beautiful, wealthy country full of content and polite people. They seem to have struck a good balance between accumulating wealth without incurring the hatred of others. Don't take any of this as anti-american because it isn't, I haven't been to the states so can't have an opinion. It is just pro-Canada!! CN tower, that rocks!! The glass floor was really nerveracking. And Niagara Falls is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen!!

DarkViper
11-15-2002, 12:41 PM
i dont live anywhere remotly close to that.

Scourfish
11-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Legal drinking age of 19!

DarkViper
11-15-2002, 12:49 PM
18! damnit....ya its 19, but oh well. people 13 and over still drink. (just while the cops arent looking)

skipper
11-15-2002, 06:48 PM
In 1979, (or thereabouts), I attended the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto and sat in the National Stadium watching the pipers and Drum and Bugle Corps from various countries - Canada, Scotland, England, Australia, etc. - enter the stadium to rousing applause and cheers (from me as well)...until the Americans entered and were met with resounding, "Boo's".

I sat back down, sickened by the fact that I was sitting among thousands of people that, moments before, I was happy to be among and yet, who had, moments later, booed my country and countrymen.

Sorry, Canada. I'll content myself with looking at you from across the river, but I've never visited you since, nor will I ever visit you again.

-Skipper

minesweeper
11-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Didn't the opposite happen earlier this year? I don't know, some hockey match or something where the Canadian team were playing in America and they got booed and had people jeering at their national anthem. I remember it vaguely.

skipper
11-15-2002, 07:24 PM
Had to do with 9/11 and lack of Canadian support for the U.S.

In total fairness to Canada, I'm not sure what the particulars were.

-Skipper

Scourfish
11-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by skipper
Had to do with 9/11 and lack of Canadian support for the U.S.

Yeah, that was definately very low-class on my country's (the US, I mean) part.

skipper
11-15-2002, 07:44 PM
Agreed.

Canada was inundated with aircraft re-routings after the stuff hit the fan, not to mention the border situation.

After the fact, both sides could have shown a lot more class. We didn't. I'll let Canada speak for itself.

-Skipper

Eibro
11-24-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Scourfish
Legal drinking age of 19!
18 in Quebec, although you can purchase alcohol up there pretty easily if you're not 18.