PDA

View Full Version : Are you you?

Waldo2k2
11-10-2002, 01:07 PM
I was sitting around yesterday thinking.
What if i were someone else? what if i were that person over there?
Is it completely random that my soul and this body met? Could I have been anyone? Or is my body merely an extension of my soul, one that would have always been this? Just thoughts to ponder....
Are you really you?

BMJ
11-10-2002, 01:16 PM
I'm not me! I'm you!

correlcj
11-10-2002, 02:47 PM
I thought I was me but apparently I am not!

So does anyone know who I am?

BTW: Have you ever seen the movie with Jackie Chan "Who Am I?"
Its funny!:D

Magos
11-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Is that a valid question?
Even if you were someone else, you would still be you, but in that other body, probably thinking what it would be like being the person you currently are...

Waldo2k2
11-10-2002, 09:53 PM
i believe this falls under circular logic.

The reason i thought about this is because it kind of makes you step back from normal life...wonder how it came to be that you even exist, let alone that we have the power to weild the atom and the like. Very cool to think about, but it makes my head spin...too many questions with too few answers.

Sentaku senshi
11-10-2002, 10:09 PM
We where discusing this saturday at the youth group I go to. Basicly God puts you were you need to be. Your life.

BMJ
11-10-2002, 10:31 PM
*puts finger in mouth, gagging*

face_master
11-10-2002, 11:25 PM
>> *puts finger in mouth, gagging*

*slowly steps away backwards, towards the door while keeping eyes on BMJ....*

TechWins
11-10-2002, 11:50 PM
Basicly God puts you were you need to be. Your life.

Depending on your beliefs. My beliefs don't fall under that same category.:)

mithrandir
11-11-2002, 12:01 AM
I recommend reading "THE ORIGINS OF MAN AND THE UNIVERSE: The myth that came to life" by Barry Long. It will really open up your perspective on yourself and the universe at large.

Waldo2k2
11-11-2002, 08:19 AM
lets try to keep this thread religiously neutral so as not to scare away posters (ie ride or die and bmj)
though i respect everyone's beleifs, no one wants to argue religion.

Inept Pig
11-11-2002, 09:10 AM
Nah... I must be me.. no one else can fail driving tests for some other (unmentionables) mistake...

White van drivers... :mad: GRRRRR! - YOU'LL ALL PAY :mad:

A-hem... Anyway... What was the topic again?

Shadow
11-11-2002, 09:37 AM
You know, this is kind of like the topic of, "What's it like after you're dead?" or, "What's it like before you're born?". We, as humans, or atleast some people, cannot comprehend the thought of nothingness. That's why alot of people believe there must be some sort of afterlife because they cannot accept the thought of nothingess. They are so used to registering everything as an interaction or some sort of memory that the thought of blank, null, void, or nothingness would drive them nuts, confused the heck out of them, or make their brain tilt.

Try it! Think about what it's like before you're born or after you're dead. Really think long and hard about "experiencing" absoluetly nothing. It'll turn your brain into a pretzel!

RoD
11-11-2002, 03:25 PM
(ie ride or die and bmj)

LMAO....

DavidP
11-11-2002, 03:39 PM
no one wants to argue religion.

oh come on, Waldo, dont you wanna have fun? ;)

i dont think you have been around for a great religious arguments of the past...oh how fun! ;)

Sentaku senshi
11-11-2002, 04:02 PM
>We where discusing this saturday at the youth group I go to. Basicly God puts you were you need to be. Your life.<

Let me see if I can state this better witch I can't. Your life is the one that is best for you it's your calling. Any other life would not fit you no matter how down yours may be, and how great someone elses life is.

Sebastiani
11-11-2002, 04:45 PM
:o I often wonder what it'd be like if you were me. Wouldn't that be something? This is why I have totally abandoned christianity. How could God forsake you like this? I am now a buddhist and thus pray every night that you will all be reborn as me. :cool:

correlcj
11-11-2002, 04:59 PM
Like Plato and Descartes before me..."I Think Therefore I am!"

IS there anyone else in mind? Maybe.
:D

Cgawd
11-11-2002, 05:18 PM
I am now a buddhist and thus pray every night that you will all be reborn as me.
lol, thats great. Though i may be wrong, i believe in the scientific perspective on evolution, leaving no room for a "God" therefore making religion erraneous, who knows, i may be wrong and be hitting back shooters with Satin 10 miles below when i die.

iain
11-11-2002, 05:44 PM
have any of you ever thought that you may be alittle bit mad? I always conidered myself somewhat different but sane. I was wrong, i did an online test (provided by the university of new york) to assess my personality.

Apparently i show prominent signs of clinical depression and symptoms that are reflective of personality disorders and anxiety.

yey! im a fruitcake!

Cgawd
11-11-2002, 06:34 PM
yey! im a fruitcake!

An angle gains its wings everytime someone comes out of the closet

Waldo2k2
11-11-2002, 06:59 PM
not to argue one religion of another but
>>leaving no room for a "God"
hasn't there been mathematical equations proving that there was one "something" before anything else? Sort of a possible creator? anyhow, just wondering if anyone else had heard of or knew the names of these experimental equations.

But on another note
>>cannot accept the thought of nothingess
very true. I've always wondered what happens when the universe collapses in on itself leaving nothing...essentially, it seems impossible for everything to just dissappear, because if it did, then there would be no trace that it had existed. It just seems like all the energy that is contained within the universe couldn't just disappear (using current scientific law). The energy also had to have gotten here somewhere (referring back to those equations up top). I'm realy not sure on where i stand on this, have you ever actually been able to think about what it would be like for there to be absolutely nothing? It's like my brain just stops working.

BMJ
11-11-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by iain
yey! im a fruitcake!:D lol, perhaps you should rephrase that statement....