View Full Version : Anyone ever been unfortunate enough to have done this?

11-09-2002, 09:33 PM
I was thinking about this earlier,

this summer we were buiding machines for a mattress company. I was wiring the machines that went and cut a certain amount of springs out of a roll. Most of these machines went to the US (220volts) so they needed 220 volt stepped down to 110 volt transformers in the boxes for the power supply. One machine was to go to canada (the canucks run at 600 volts, don't ask me why) and not knowing this i put it in a normal 220 to 110 transformer...now, we test these machines in house before we shp them.....I didn't do the testing so i never caught the mistake. They rigged a 220 to 600 (6?? volts) transformer in the shop, then off that powered the machine.
So at this point we have 600 volts running into a transformer designed to step 220 volts down to 110...i could hear the guys yealling to kill the power from across the shop. Turns out it fried every electrical component in the box (except a few 12 awg wires coming off the transformer). But every other wire had melted coating, every terminal had black marks on it where the electricity arced *sp*. I got to keep my job because i was never told the machine was supposed to run under 600 volts (damn canadiens) and the guys testing it never checked to make sure the transformer was the correct one. The guys still give me crap about it though ;)

11-09-2002, 09:44 PM
One machine was to go to canada (the canucks run at 600 volts, don't ask me why)Whoa! Here in Australia, the normal AC power runs at 240 volts! The canadians must spend alot on transformers to cut that down to the 100 or whatever volts that normal appliances use!

11-09-2002, 09:51 PM
I belive that their across the board infastructure runs at 600, i think it's also the industry standard, but as far as power going to houses, the power stations around the cities step it down.

11-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Waldo, look at your signature, that might be the problem...;)

11-11-2002, 04:43 AM
never done that, but I had a problem once while testing a machine. I was working as a student for a company that makes industrial gaz-burners. And some of the regular testers were on vacation. So I had to test 120 burners (small ones) in 2 or 3 weeks. the first week, everything goes fine. I was very concentrated, I liked the responsabilty. the second week, it was hot and the testing got a bit boring. In my stupidity, I placed my arm on the igniton. And then it happened, 8500 volts through my body. Lucky for me it was only a fraction of a second and it wasn't much ampere (thank God for that). but no one noticed it and I continued testing that day with a very very serious headache. The headache stayed until I went to bed. So moral of this story: never, ever touch the ignition when it goes off :D