PDA

View Full Version : Word of the day, ken

gamegod3001
10-09-2001, 06:56 AM
I found this at dictionary.com:

Word of the Day for Tuesday October 9, 2001:

ken \KEN\, noun:
1. Perception; understanding; knowledge.
2. The range of vision.
3. View; sight.

He was to make several important discoveries, the most significant being that infantile paralysis was caused not by germs, as cerebrospinal meningitis had been, but by a mysterious agent just then emerging into the ken of science.
--James Thomas Flexner, Maverick's Progress

So we are predisposed -- if not preprogrammed -- to accept tales of animals who display human motives, understanding, reason, and intentions. It takes a far greater imagination to conceive the possibility that a dog's mental life may assume a form that is simply beyond our ken.
--Stephen Budiansky, If a Lion Could Talk

Libussa, the youngest, particularly beautiful, unworldly and serious, was able to see what was hidden from other people's ken and to prophesy.
--Peter Demetz, Prague in Black and Gold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken is from Middle English kennen, from Old English cennan, "to declare, to make known."

-KEN-
10-09-2001, 07:03 AM
what's with this new fascination with me??

STALKER!! :)

gamegod3001
10-09-2001, 07:14 AM
>what's with this new fascination with me??

You my favorite person on these boards. I just found it, and decide to post it.

Fordy
10-09-2001, 08:06 AM
LOL

Ken - it seems you have a new best pal.....

ober
10-09-2001, 08:39 AM
awww... isn't that cute... you guys are best buds... :p

Fordy
10-09-2001, 08:48 AM
>> awww... isn't that cute... you guys are best buds...

I think its a heartwarming sentiment.......

RobS
10-09-2001, 08:58 AM
I dunno, with this thread and the "just can't do it" thread this board is turning into some horrible episode of Saved by the Bell or something similar.

-KEN-
10-09-2001, 01:32 PM
well, can't deny my board-coolness - but my best friend is an actual, physical human being :)

Aran
10-09-2001, 02:08 PM
a human being!? have you no life?

-KEN-
10-09-2001, 02:10 PM
shouldn't you be saying exactly the OPPOSITE? go figure...

Aran
10-09-2001, 02:25 PM
humans are so last week...

Machines are the crap now, man. Go get yourself one of those Deep Blue things.. it'll keep you entertained for hours.

gamegod3001
10-09-2001, 02:36 PM
>well, can't deny my board-coolness - but my best friend is an actual, physical human being <

You can drive can't you :p

No he is my favoriate person since he relitivly close to my age, and yet seems to know more then a lot of people here.

-KEN-
10-09-2001, 02:42 PM
wahoo, someone who thinks I'm smart! :D

I can't drive for another 11 months :( (I have my PERMIT is all)

yeah, my knowledge far outweighs any of yours...bow before me! hehe. like THAT'll ever happen :p

gamegod3001
10-09-2001, 02:50 PM
>I can't drive for another 11 months (I have my PERMIT is all) <

Oh, so you will not get your lisence till septermber 2002. ::Raises fist in trumph::: I will be able to drive in June :) I'll come down and see you. :D

>yeah, my knowledge far outweighs any of yours...bow before me! hehe. like THAT'll ever happen <

"Looks around and hits Troll_King in back side causing him to fall to his Knees."

Cheeze-It
10-09-2001, 04:19 PM
Hey, I want a best buddy...

Any 19 year olds here? Any 19 year olds that want
to be my best friend? I have money!

doubleanti
10-09-2001, 04:54 PM
[slips into old-man robe...]

geeze, rushing rushing to drive... static can vouch that it isn't much the joy you might necessarily think... you still have the same responsibilities as before [and then some...]... and even if i could, i couldn't visit one of my bestest friends [being, y'know, across the ocean... dang military!!!] er... that'll do it...

[realizes the old-man robe doesn't quite fit...]

-KEN-
10-09-2001, 05:52 PM
across the ocean?? that has to SUCK.

Betazep
10-09-2001, 06:44 PM
God you guys are too funny. I am laughing my a$$ off over here...

Can someone be my friend? Does my name mean something special?

I like mountain biking, long walks on the beach, and the way the moon shines on my rear when I streak in public naked.

:D

Oh god I can't stop laughing...

:D:D:D:D

-KEN-
10-09-2001, 06:46 PM
and the way the moon shines on my rear when I streak in public naked.

and with a proper northern (haha, no such thing in the south :) ) programmers tan, I'd bet it's bright enough to blind. And streaking naked...redundancy :p

Betazep
10-09-2001, 06:51 PM
>>And streaking naked...redundancy

Ahhh ha! Unless of course I meant that I run so fast that I make a streak!

Besides... it is hard to type when you have tears in your eyes because you are laughing so hard. I better get back to work. ;)

doubleanti
10-09-2001, 10:54 PM
nothin' like good ole manual labor [aka tasty goody] to drive out all my energy such that i'm too tired to be sad... i love my job for that reason! alrighty...