PDA

View Full Version : Need your suggestion

Cgangster
10-24-2002, 07:59 PM
Hi all,

I just plan to start my career with web programming/database.
I have been researching information over the internet, but I am
struggling to make decision to pick a right language to start with.
Among these candidate languages, Java, JSP, PHP, PYTHON, PERL, ASP, ASP.NET, I really dont know which language(s) are
widely use in current market or promise in the future. For the
trend of web security. Someone adviced me learning the ASP.NET. Is this true? I have never been familiar with .NET.
So, Do you guys, experienced programmers, know what languages I should learn for web-base programming relate with
database like shopping carts.
Thank you in advance
Cgangster

Prelude
10-24-2002, 08:09 PM
To my knowledge most of those shopping carts are written with Perl CGI scripts.

-Prelude

Betazep
10-25-2002, 01:03 AM
To my knowlege... Prelude is right as usual (there's a big suprise)... and some are written in C.

Look into the functionality of Crystal Reports with C or C++. First learn the basics of programming. Go from there...

Spend five or more years on it and prove people wrong consistently and be right an abnormal number of times.

Then change your name to Prelude2 and you will be all set. ;)

Good luck... it is a journey.

Cgangster
10-25-2002, 04:13 PM
Is it good to start with PHP for CGI/web programming?
Consider about security and speed, Does PHP work better than
ASP or APS.NET?

Cgangster

OneStiffRod
10-25-2002, 04:31 PM
Assuming that you already know HTML and Javascript.

PHP is great, PERL is necessary, ASP is VBscript/javascript so you'll have to know at least one of those languages.

You should know HTML for this becuase what you're doing with a CGI program is printing out HTML code - like adding additional rows and columns to a TABLE as well as other stuff.

You'll also need to know some SQL - structured query lang. for CGI, I think PHP simplifies this for but ASP doesn't.

The easiest way to go is something called ColdFusion which simplifies web/database programming but it's expensive.

Prelude
10-25-2002, 07:35 PM
>Spend five or more years on it and prove people wrong consistently and be right an abnormal number of times.
>Then change your name to Prelude2 and you will be all set. ;)
Hehe. :D

-Prelude

iain
10-26-2002, 11:33 PM
php is gain ground rapidly and is on around half amillion hosts at the moments at the moment (php.net).

Similar to C in syntax, easy to install use, very powerful and integrates very well with sql!

go for php

tgm
10-27-2002, 07:34 AM
I use ASP (VBScript) at work. We also use Crystal Reports, which is really a nice package. On Windows I think you'll find it common to use ASP or ASP.NET. Really, most of our web programming I do is done with a Java appserver (using RMI), the ASP is just the client side interface. And Javascript is used for form validation.
I'd say ASP, PHP and JSP would be good to check out. Just like systems programming though, once you know one of them and the concepts behind web programming, it's not hard to pick up another one.

Cgangster
10-27-2002, 06:29 PM
Does ASP or ASP.NET run only on WIN platform but not Unix/Linux
and PHP can run on both Unix and Win platforms. I have heard that PHP is more security and faster than APS in data processing, Is this true? Thank for your input!

Cgangster

RoD
10-27-2002, 06:33 PM
Prelude's ability to always be right is a thorn in the ass of those men who are trying to prove women aren't always right!

jk :P

civix
10-28-2002, 02:36 PM
You know, this board was written in PHP...;)

salvelinus
10-28-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by tgm
We also use Crystal Reports, which is really a nice package.
Crystal Reports is ok, but can mess up other programs. We use it at work as well, but, for example, it prevented installation of CE toolkits or sdk's (forget which) by changing permissions on registry keys. It's done other things like that as well.

Cgangster
10-29-2002, 08:50 PM
Gosh! to me , trying to pick a right language to learn is kinda tougher than learning a language itself. All advices are vary and
dont come in majority for a candidate of web programming languages. I am still in the dark of choosing a right language to get started. Programming career is kinda tough.

Cgangster

Prelude
10-29-2002, 09:13 PM
>I am still in the dark of choosing a right language to get started.
It really doesn't matter, just pick one that looks neat and go with it. You can learn the others later.

-Prelude

civix
10-29-2002, 09:50 PM
Yeah; I've been thinking about it alot lately, and i've started learning PHP. I've decided to go to JVS for Computer Engineering. :) Wish Me luck!

OneStiffRod
10-29-2002, 11:04 PM
You need to be a jack-of-all-trades, unfortunately there's no way around this.

Here's the easiest place to start...

Learn HTML - it's really easy, it'll take you about a week or 2 to learn
THEN...
Learn JAVASCRIPT - Get a good book on this, it'll probably take you a month to learn but it is really fun since you can see what you're doing without compiling and junk.

That's it, you will now have the foundation to learn PHP or ASP or even PERL.

And then C++ will also be alot easier to pick up.

JAVA, i'm so disapointed with java that I would advise staying away from it until you are proficient in at least C++. The performance and issues java currently has are numerous and it'll be awhile before java is mature enough to be considered good in my book.