PDA

View Full Version : Chess

PJYelton
10-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Anyone here play chess, either for fun or competitively? Seems like chess would be the perfect hobby for comp programmers, lots of logic and creativity. Anyone here rated in the USCF or FIDE? Me, I love to go to chess tournaments and have a USCF rating of 1850, won a few small prize tourneys, but still waiting to win my first huge prize. Came close twice, second place by 1/2 a point both times! :D Oh, and playing on the internet is fun too!

Cheeze-It
10-24-2002, 01:01 PM
I think chess is a boring game... I'm too impatient, I guess... I'd
much rather play Monopoly or Axis & Allies (assuming I have 8 hours
to devote to a board game -- which I usualy do. :) )...

muttski
10-24-2002, 01:01 PM
Your in denver??? mile high city? I live in boulder.

webmaster
10-24-2002, 02:01 PM
I like to play chess, but I've been taking the last few months "off". I haven't played in a tournament for about three months. (My rating, too, is in the mid 1800s.) I've found chess to be important because it gives me a microcosm of the world which is easier to understand but which contains abstractions that help clarify life. (For instance, you can see the diferences in thought patterns which lead to strategic play or tactical play; you can see a lot of important psychology points; if you look at grandmaster play, you can see the way their styles relate to each other in terms of being good at doing X or Y, and how those players matched up with each other.) It's very much the same as any hobby, in this way, I imagine; but I think chess is particularly good because of its rich history and innate complexity.

PJYelton
10-24-2002, 02:20 PM
I completely agree webmaster, what tourneys have you been in? Any big ones? Biggest ones for me have been the Chicago Open and recently the Levy Memorial in Denver.

And ethic, you're too impatient for chess but will play Monopoly?? Try blitz chess, VERY popular on the internet. Have to make all of your moves in 1, 3, or 5 minutes. Ruins my chess game, but people love it!

Your in denver??? mile high city? I live in boulder
Muttski, I moved here about 5 months ago, live in Northern Lakewood. Do you go to school here or work?

muttski
10-24-2002, 03:12 PM
Im in 11th grade (high school)

blackwyvern
10-27-2002, 09:51 PM
I am close to becoming a National Master. I am rated 2100-2200 blitz, 2100-2200 standard, 2200-2300 lightning, and roughly 2100-2200 for variants such as wild and crazyhouse. This next summer/fall I will be playing full time in national competitions to secure my official national master title, such as the World Open, National Open, Foxwood Open, and many of the regional events, specifically south, and southeast.

If you are looking to play on the internet, come to www.chess.net You will find me as PREVAIL

Playing on ICC is a complete waste of money. Play where chess is free.

golfinguy4
10-27-2002, 10:12 PM
I play (noncompetitively + infrequently), but I move rather quickly. I would never last in a tournament. I would get too bored at everyone taking so long and would just quit.

shaik786
10-27-2002, 11:58 PM
I used to play chess in my school times, and I enjoyed it and won some interschool tourneys too. But now, I have a phobia for this game, just don't have patience to sit so long and you also got to think a lot, which is something I refrain from. :D

Fountain
10-28-2002, 05:52 AM
I too have an excellent rating (YES ME!), winning numerous titles whilst under 16(incl national). I sort of found beer and women and things when I hit 16,the rest is history.:rolleyes:

Still play online a bit though, albeit difficult to find a decent opponent.

Fountain
10-28-2002, 05:53 AM
Damn it! I forgot to add-this thread has been covered before...in GREAT detail.

Zer1
10-28-2002, 07:46 AM
I'm not a tournament boy, but I'm sure I can give chess champions a hard time. :D

blackwyvern
10-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Yes, Topics should never, ever be revisited....

You failed to mention your rating and your titles.. do tell.

PJYelton
10-28-2002, 10:17 AM
I'd love to get to the master level, but to get over the 2000 hump takes LOTS of study and playing time, time I don't have at the moment! Plus, unless one plays tournaments all the time, rating points increase SOOOOO slowly, especially since I started out so low at 1200. I do love the look on a 2000+'s face when they see that they are losing to me, a lowly 1800 :) I use ICC extensively though. I love all their features including coverage of the major chess events in the world, have different ratings for standard, blitz, bullet, all the wilds etc, the fact that they kick people out who are abusive or frequent disconnectors, AND have programs set up that check to see if you have a chess playing program running in the background. Of course I get ICC for free, that helps... :D I've only looked at chess.net briefly, blackwyvern does it come with most of the above?

compjinx
10-28-2002, 12:21 PM
I always thought chess to be a tad boring and didn't play if very much, but then a friend of mine made the totally cool board with slightly modified pieces. It rocks!

Stoned_Coder
10-28-2002, 12:27 PM
I play and if u point me at a "chess recorder prog for windows" ill play any1 by pm.

blackwyvern
10-28-2002, 08:16 PM
chess.net does include pretty much everything that ICC has and I believe that the chess.net interface is so much better. I cant stand looking at ICC's multiple windows and messed up board

PJYelton
10-28-2002, 08:27 PM
What do you mean by messed up board? With your choice of pieces, board, material count, colors, and lots more, you have loads of options to make you board look exaclty as you want. And the multiple windows are easy to get rid of depending on how you want to view everything. You can make everything go to the main window and pick and choose what you want to read or not read.b

Zer1
10-28-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by blackwyvern
Yes, Topics should never, ever be revisited....

You failed to mention your rating and your titles.. do tell.

Frankly though, I don't know my rating and I don't have any titles :D I just play and play and play and beat and beat and beat my opponents :cool:

sean
10-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Yeah - I play a lot of chess, but I prefer Go. It's more generic, and I think a lot more based on logic. I'm like that (you don't get much more generic than black and white stones on a checkered board that doesn't even need color.

Fountain
10-31-2002, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Sean
Yeah - I play a lot of chess, but I prefer Go. It's more generic, and I think a lot more based on logic. I'm like that (you don't get much more generic than black and white stones on a checkered board that doesn't even need color.

What is go?

And Ummm chess = black and white pieces on a black and white board...just fancy stones thats all.

Diamonds
10-31-2002, 07:42 AM
i sux at it, guess that says what kinda programmer i am huh? =P

PJYelton
10-31-2002, 09:48 AM
Never liked Go, always preferred chess. I've heard that technically Go is more strategical than chess, but to me chess feels like war while Go has always felt like me and my wife fighting for that extra bit of bed space at night when we are trying to sleep. :D Not quite as exciting...

Betazep
10-31-2002, 12:03 PM
I used to play at chess.net all the time. I was never really good (1600s blitz, 1650 Standard) and when I came back after a very long away time I was getting beat by 1200-1300s.

I know I could be pretty good if I did any studying rather than just figuring out how to play on my own, but I do not have the time for such a hobby right now. Or rather I will not make time for it right now.

Oh... and I love the chess.net interface. Though I am not a chess master, I do know a thing or two about computers... and I thought and still think that it is top notch. Just in case you cared. ;)

All in all, chess is great... but I do not play anymore.

iain
11-01-2002, 07:44 AM
my friend vicki taught me how to play last week while we were bored at work ( ive never won yet!)

Jet_Master
11-02-2002, 07:46 AM
i play chess at yahoo games... and my rating is in the 1400's...
i just played for a while, then got busy... i didnt even play till i got to a decent rating.. lol !

and i also had started a chess something thread some time ago... but i guess it died quickly... it took me some time to find this thread... like i said i was too busy.

anyway. i LOVE chess. i dont like playing on the internet much anyway, because the board is vertical. i like playing on a real board, which i do at school - which is the main reason i stopped playing online. besides i have a top notch chess software on my PC. it has a database of over a thousand tournament games by gm's and great players and stuff. my old school had a great chess coach, but my new team coach sux. i beat him using a quarter of my brain... (not that i can use more than 3% anyway) - so i guess i only used a quarter of 3% - 0.75% of my brain... lol.

correlcj
11-11-2002, 11:24 AM
I like to play chess, its cool! I suck but its fun to play, anyway
:p