PDA

View Full Version : Logic Question

RoD
10-22-2002, 01:53 PM
Ok heres the deal:

A buddy sets a 5 dollar bill on the floor. He bets you the bill that u cannot jump over it without moving it. The air from your body can move it, but u cannot physically touch it.

This is impossible to achieve, but why?

Thats the problem, i can jump over the bill fine but theres a logically reason why this is impossible. The bill isn't moved, not a trick its exactly as it appears. Theres nothing around the bill to prevent you.

There IS an answer, i don't know it, any ideas?

Cheeze-It
10-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Jump on your buddy and run off with the bill... That's the smart
thing to do.

Jet_Master
10-22-2002, 01:58 PM
maybe he/she's gonna say that the bill moved because the earth's moving...
lol...

other than that.. no ideas.. (logical)

wierd question, by the way...

ammar
10-22-2002, 01:59 PM
What do you mean by:

The air from your body can move it, but u cannot physically touch it.

RoD
10-22-2002, 02:04 PM
The wind you create can hit it like a breeze and make it move, as long as you don't physically contact it.

Nah i thought the earth one too. She said its very simple.

Cshot
10-22-2002, 02:51 PM
This one stumped me for a minute. But if you win, you can't take the 5 dollar bill, otherwise you would have moved it. Therefore, you always lose :D

btq
10-22-2002, 03:01 PM
He bets you the bill that u cannot jump over it without moving it

this statement says nothing about moving it whilst not in the air,
so logically it woudn't matter if you moved it after the jump..

although I'll bet that CShot gave the expected answer :D

althoug if the "the air can touch it but you can't touch it physically" is a part of the whole statement it would maybe be a correct answer. Me, I'd just blow on the darn bill all the way to the store :D

/btq

ammar
10-22-2002, 04:14 PM
I like what Cshot said:D

RoD
10-22-2002, 06:35 PM
You know cshot, thats a very good explanation, i'll go with it, thanks!

Govtcheez
10-22-2002, 06:54 PM
If you make your friend give you the bill, you can.

Besides, the bet's that you can't jump over it - what happens afterward doesn't matter

Magos
10-23-2002, 07:10 AM
Perhaps you can still spend the bill, without touching it... like blowing it all the way to the store :D.

btq
10-23-2002, 07:37 AM
like blowing it all the way to the store

Besides, the bet's that you can't jump over it - what happens afterward doesn't matter

Is my post invisible ? ;)

/btq

RoD
10-23-2002, 12:38 PM
Sorry cshot, not it. She said i am reading into it way too much, and that the answer is not only very simple, but very, very stupid. Yet at the same time, its completely logical. I'm one of three of the only ones who didn't get it yet lol.

Davros
10-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Your buddy defines his reference system point of origin as you. Therefore, if you move (wrt the outside world) the bill moves by definition.

Easy. Nothing to it.

Cshot
10-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Heheh doh! Now this question is driving me nuts since you said the answer is stupid.

I dunno, how bout the bill is set on the floor in the corner of the room :confused:

RoD
10-23-2002, 01:23 PM
dave - nope sorry.

cshot -
Theres nothing around the bill to prevent you.

so nope not a corner...rest of my class got it like THAT. No hesitation.

dbaryl
10-23-2002, 02:37 PM
R-or-D, can you please rephrase the question somehow? I just set down a 5-dollar bill on the ground and jumped over it without moving it. Of course, to be very exact I'm sure the air movement from the jump probably blew at the bill and "moved" it on a very small scale, but...

Also, what is that part about air moving it but not you? What does that have to do with anything (about jumping over the bill)?

Magos
10-23-2002, 03:40 PM
Everything's relative. You may be jumping over the bill, but in another point of view the bill is jumping over you...
I don't know about the simplicity of this, but it sure is stupid :D.

PJYelton
10-23-2002, 04:22 PM
What class was this for? If its a physics class teaching relativity, I'd go with Magos.

Cshot
10-23-2002, 04:41 PM
R-or-D, can you please rephrase the question somehow? I just set down a 5-dollar bill on the ground and jumped over it without moving it. Of course, to be very exact I'm sure the air movement from the jump probably blew at the bill and "moved" it on a very small scale, but...
No no no, you got it all wrong! Your buddy has to set down the 5 dollar bill :)

Yeah, please rephrase the question. What class is this for? How many people in your class?

....Must.....know.....answer....

dbaryl
10-23-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Cshot
No no no, you got it all wrong! Your buddy has to set down the 5 dollar bill :)OK, so I got my sister (we are buddies) to do this with me, since I didn't have a 5 dollar bill.

And I got it! ...the 5 dollar bill, I mean. I picked it up and told her that since I was able to jump over it without moving the bill I get to keep it ;) We did make the bet, so... no, later I gave it back.

I think the whole reason for this thing is to steal a 5 dollar bill from you, so beware!

RoD
10-24-2002, 03:48 AM
I know it can be done, i did it. But there is a logical reason why what we did wasn't it.

I know this questions dumb, but theres an answer and i gotta find it. Its for Computer Science 2, she gives us stuff like this all the time.

The question is simple. You bud puts the bill on the ground and tells u to jump over it. Its impossible to do and theres a reason why.

nvoigt
10-24-2002, 04:37 AM
Tell her you are too experienced in computer programming to spend your valuable time on lousy 5$. :p

salvelinus
10-24-2002, 05:22 AM
How about the letter 'u' can't jump, or is that just the slacker's way of writing 'you'? I notice you wrote 'u' both times.

Davros
10-24-2002, 06:02 AM
>How about the letter 'u' can't jump

Oh man! Is that it?

I need to get back to work.

Magos
10-24-2002, 08:52 AM
You bud puts the bill on the ground and tells u to jump over it.

it as in Information Technology...?
Skip the class or something?

Betazep
10-24-2002, 10:27 AM
Your bud puts the bill on the ground...

I have never had a bud do anything like that for me... cough cough.

[remove me]

RoD
10-24-2002, 12:31 PM
lmao beta...

Ok, heres the answer! I know it was said before here and i sai dit wasn't it, cuz she told ME that wasn't it. So we both had it and shes a dumb biatch:

The bill was placed in a corner.

However i big to differm if i jump over it and bounce of the wall with my fett, having not touched the ground, have i not jus jumped over it?

Davros
10-24-2002, 12:38 PM
I could take the wall down around the bill.

Magos
10-24-2002, 12:57 PM
Ahem...

Theres nothing around the bill to prevent you.

Sooo, a wall isn't something that prevents you from taking it? Well, according to that answer, it DOES prevent you...
These statements would give the logical equation True == False.

A buddy sets a 5 dollar bill on the floor. He bets you the bill that u cannot jump over it without moving it.
Thats the problem, i can jump over the bill fine but theres a logically reason why this is impossible.

The question doesn't mention anything that the bill has to be placed in a special way, only in general. And (logically) placing a bill on the floor doesn't mean it's placed in a corner.

The air from your body can move it, but u cannot physically touch it.

What's stopping you from blowing it away from the corner, then jumping over it?

This whole quiz was rather stupid... no offense... :).

RoD
10-24-2002, 01:12 PM
No offense taken, i completely agree!

It is retarted....

Cshot
10-24-2002, 01:41 PM
Yea, we all knew it was gonna be stupid. But w00t! I got the corner answer. I still liked my first one better though :D