PDA

View Full Version : Football

PJYelton
10-18-2002, 08:43 AM
Anyone here really into american football?? If so, what team do you root for? Me, I'm a die hard Broncos fan, although that game on sunday night was a real hard to watch. :( Fumble on the half-yard line, field goal taken away from us on a non-penalty, game winning interception going right through the hands of a defender, and it still took a 50+ yard field goal at the last second to beat us! Oh well.... :D

kermi3
10-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Aints no longer, Go Saints Go. They are the underated team in the NFL, and they have the most underrated QB:

Aaron Books, who has an awsome arm and is an incredible scrambler. There is a reason that they are insanely good at 3rd downs (like 60+%), it's because Brooks can "frozen rope" it right into the hand of Joe Horn.

And they have the most underrated running back, Duce McAlister. Go Duce Go.

We will win our second playoff game ever this year!

PJYelton
10-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Yeah, but will they win a second or a third playoff game this year as well? With the Eagles and the Bucs, me thinks no! :D

Govtcheez
10-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Go Lions! (hey, at least I'm not a fair weather fan :))

They made your beloved Saints look like, well, the Lions :D

kermi3
10-18-2002, 09:37 AM
Yeah, but will they win a second or a third playoff game this year as well? With the Eagles and the Bucs, me thinks no!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teamsched?team=nor

They already beat the bucs once 26-20...not to mention Greenbay and Pittsburgh...

They made your beloved Saints look like, well, the Lions :D

Bah that was after a hurricane hit NO in the middle of the week, we're a heart team and it's hard to concetrate, practice, and have heart when you're busy boarding up your house and worrying about your family. That's the excuse and I'm sticking with it! :p

Govtcheez
10-18-2002, 09:45 AM
But it's the Lions, for pete's sake! You should be able to beat them with a squad of blind girl scouts!

biosninja
10-18-2002, 09:53 AM
I wish we had american football in our country!!! I just love a good hardcore contact sport!!!

PJYelton
10-18-2002, 09:55 AM
I agree they beat the bucs already, BUT it was their first game under their new coach, and it still took overtime to take 'em. Tampa Bay is a much better team now and will be unstoppable at the end of the season - that is until Denver beats them in the Super Bowl :D

Govtcheez
10-18-2002, 10:08 AM
> I wish we had american football in our country!!!

As well you should. It's like the best sport in your country, only way better.

biosninja
10-18-2002, 10:30 AM
You're telling me!! to be quite frankly, I don't like the main sports we have : rugby, soccer and cricket -> all crappy!!!

I WANT FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!:D

kermi3
10-18-2002, 10:56 AM
I agree they beat the bucs already, BUT it was their first game under their new coach, and it still took overtime to take 'em. Tampa Bay is a much better team now and will be unstoppable at the end of the season

Bah, the Saints will beat them again, I didn't see the game (except for OT) but I'm sure the Sain'ts will crush them...I mean come on, they lost on a blocked punt! That shouldn't happen in pro ball.

that is until Denver beats them in the Super Bowl :D - no reply needed.

Cshot
10-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Here are my predictions for the playoff seedings:

AFC
1) Raiders
2) Dolphins
3) Steelers
4) Colts
5) Broncos
6) Patriots (Chargers will probably get it though)

NFC
1) Bucs
2) Eagles
3) Packers
4) 49ers
5) Saints
6) Bears

PJYelton
10-18-2002, 11:42 AM
I agree more or less with ya Cshot not sure if the Broncs can overtake the Raiders in the division, but they'll surely make the playoffs. I think the Cards will be the last team in, not the Bears though on the other side!

-KEN-
10-18-2002, 03:59 PM
I'm more into college football than anything.........if I had to chose a team? The dolphins ;) (KIDDING! KIDDING!)

hk_mp5kpdw
10-21-2002, 05:25 AM
I didn't really care for any sports at all before I got into college (except maybe tennis). I went to Virginia Tech and now I look forward to watching those football games and seeing how well they do (currently #3 on the AP poll). I also have a bit more respect for pro football as well and watch an occasional game.

ammar
10-21-2002, 05:28 AM
My friend likes Titans!?
But I don't like the whole game.

PJYelton
10-21-2002, 06:21 PM
Eeek! :eek: Looks like I need to eat my words! The Saints looked pretty good this weekend while the Bucs looked pretty scuzzy.... but hey the Broncs won, that's all I really care about! :D

valar_king
10-21-2002, 08:21 PM
TITANS RULE!

I'm going for the Titans. Saints suck.

kermi3
10-21-2002, 08:56 PM
The saints win again. keep dreaming. :D

Govtcheez
10-21-2002, 09:05 PM
w00t! Go Lions! Joey Ballgame strikes again!

novacain
10-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Anyone seen Aussie Rule Football?

Govtcheez
10-21-2002, 10:06 PM
> Anyone seen Aussie Rule Football?

Why, did you lose it? (yeah, stupid joke... oh well - I've just done a few hours of Micros homework... I'm really tired)

Anyways - I've always assumed it was similar to rugby - is it?

TechWins
10-21-2002, 11:51 PM
Falcons wipped the Panthers 30-0

and the Cardinals beat the Cowboys to take the NFC West division lead

Woohoo!!!

novacain
10-22-2002, 12:25 AM
>>Anyways - I've always assumed it was similar to rugby - is it?

You can tackle like Rugby but can kick and punch the ball any direction not just back. Played on a huge field for nearly two hours. Very few stops and lots of scoring makes for an exciting game.

Closest is Galiec (sp?) football.

Faster than soccer, as athletic as basketball and more violent than American Football or Rugby (without the padding). Only game I know where the 'blood rule' gets used every game.

Worth a watch on TV with a few 'frothies' and a pizza.

(I always liked the Green Bay Packers, are they still the only publicly owned team?)

RoD
10-22-2002, 04:41 AM
EAGLES BABY!!!

Were awsome against the number one defense in the league, we are going to the SB BABY wooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!

Editted for content by Kermi3

PJYelton
10-22-2002, 08:56 AM
Broncos vs Packers in the Super Bowl!!! Eagles and Saints are just too inconsistant and the Bucs have no offense! Saints aren't going to make it if they keep spotting teams all those points and having to play from behind!

Govtcheez
10-24-2002, 03:17 PM
> are they still the only publicly owned team?

I think I saw today that the Cinncinnati Bengals are publicly owned, but I might have misunderstood it.

PJYelton
10-24-2002, 04:05 PM
Is it too late for the public to get a refund on the Bengals?

Govtcheez
10-24-2002, 04:10 PM
Hehe - even though they suck, I guess the bungles made like $15 million last year (profit, not net). That's still better than a lot of baseball teams

OneStiffRod
10-24-2002, 10:08 PM
Wish we had a team I could root for, these fairies here in LA refuse to pay to get a team back. I do like the BUCS though and I keep my eye on the EAGLES only b/c a dude who went to my highschool is on the team...

John Welbourne starting Guard/Tackle for the Eagles.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/store/the_team/players.asp?id=60

Edited for content by kermi3, Watch your language including misspellings of words.

black
10-24-2002, 10:37 PM
football ? I prefer soccer~ :p

Prelude
10-24-2002, 10:46 PM
I just don't see the point of a line of oafish brutes running into each other to get at an oblong ball so that they can run with it over a line. We're obviously not talking about sensible adults here. :rolleyes: I suppose it's just some kind of testosterone war that only males would come up with. ;)

-Prelude

novacain
10-24-2002, 11:35 PM
Prelude, there is no more 'ritual combat' to prove ourselves. (not that most, some of us feel we have to) Experiments show that Mudskippers (a form of semi amphibious fish) that is the most reckless in the face of preditors gets the most 'girl guppies'. Hence we males have football to show how stupid we can be.

We all know the rules and can so can establish a pecking order. Also allows us to divide into 'tribes' .

Govt : I thought the Packers would be your team, them being the 'cheese heads'.

Prelude
10-24-2002, 11:49 PM
>Hence we males have football to show how stupid we can be.
This pretty much sums it up. ;) Though I personally don't want a stupid man to father my children, that would be an insult to them. :p

-Prelude

novacain
10-25-2002, 12:28 AM
Off topic:
To try to 'balance' the male stupidity bit

Walk into any shopping mall. Count the number of mens clothing stores and compare to womens clothing stores.

Do this in shoe stores if you realy want a scare.

Is shopping the female equivalent of a 'contact' sport?

Betazep
10-25-2002, 01:14 AM
I think you guys are missing the excitement of womens curling. Damn that's a great sport. Slide that... that... whatever the heck it is Margret.... broom... broom.... broom... broom.... ahhhh the superific glory!

:cool:

Govtcheez
10-25-2002, 05:49 AM
> I thought the Packers would be your team, them being the 'cheese heads'.

Nope - they spell it with a Z and I'm there, though :p