PDA

View Full Version : Making your own O/S

MethodMan
10-15-2002, 05:38 PM
I dont want to make my own, but I know you can alter some O/Ss if they are open source. Why would you want to alter an O/S? What would you want to improve or implement in the O/S that isnt already there?

Also, is this written in C and the assembly level?

Thanks

dirkduck
10-15-2002, 05:42 PM
A lot of people just play around with the source to learn some, and see how they work. As for what they're written in, generally the low-level parts are in ASM, although the majority is in C.

Troll_King
10-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Honestly I'd like to build a toolkit that is based on Standard C++ programming. There are currently none out there right now. I would than use it to build a desktop. The best candidate software architecture is FreeX86.

Troll_King
10-15-2002, 07:02 PM
Ofcourse before anything like this, I should post a few C++ programs. I need practice, especially with the STL.

moi
10-15-2002, 07:03 PM
I'll give $10 to whoever can write an OS in BF!

capybara
10-15-2002, 08:04 PM
well. alot of ppl re-compile linux so it is optimized to run faster
on their hardware - for ex., on an athlon, because the linux kernel is compiled for intel 386 or better, so recompiling it
speeds it up.

Hillbillie
10-15-2002, 08:22 PM
>I'll give $10 to whoever can write an OS in BF!<

Haha, I bet it's possible.

*begins porting Alamo (ShellOS) to BF* :D

>Why would you want to alter an O/S?<

Are you asking this as a general question, or more of a personal question?

As a general question, you'd alter an OS to make it the way you like it, pretty simple.

As a personal question, I don't like altering OSes. It's pointless IMO, but that's only in my situation. THere are a lot of people that can benefit greatly from hacking their OSS operating system.

vasanth
10-16-2002, 05:09 AM
well this stuff of creatin OS keeps popping up on this board now and then:(:)