PDA

View Full Version : one fine day...

doubleanti
08-18-2001, 11:37 PM
we will all unite in person... on a grass park with a nice bright day... with a light smooth blue sky and but a few soft clouds... doubleanti, -ken- and the children will run amuck freely... the moderators will all sit at their own picnic table... rick barclay will be the oldest one here, quite a lively fellow, wise in his years... everyone will hold hands... the moderators will all be the mid-aged ones of our group, and the ninety some odd of us will all be in the same space... it will be one fine day... doubleanti will have his/her hair cut and dress in clothes such that no one will be able to tell his/her gender... the older of us, including govtcheez (who will by which time be old enough to drink... about a year i think...) will share our own drinking table... the webmaster will be at the admissions table and will require our handles and our passwords (the same ones) in order to enter the park... it would be one fine day... it would be surreal... impossible... quite nice...

doubleanti will have returned from mars with the official mars counting handbook for you all...
-ken- will ruin the party and try too hard to fit in with the older of us...
by which time doubleanti would have been sitting at the moderators table... being the youngest moderator... :p

will will have seperate tables for each of the forums... doubleanti will sneak in her/his own picnic table for a DJGPP and a VESA forum, s/he will be the only one sitting there :eek:

would we all still get along?
or would we not?
we all learn alot about it being a virtual community... and i say we will have alot of questions answered... all of our preconceptions about everyone else will be factualized (or denied)... i say we should one day meet... somehow... some way... in live...

-KEN-
08-18-2001, 11:43 PM
Bleh, I don't try to fit in with anyone. Try to hide my immaturity? Now why would I go and do a stupid thing like that... :D

That'd be cool, though. A nice little outing for the board members. Maybe on the 20th anniversary of our beautiful community..lol

Fordy
08-19-2001, 12:31 AM
>>doubleanti will have his hair cut and dress in clothes such that no one will be able to tell his/her gender

LOL

What is it with you an gender....... Of all the things we might want to keep private this is quite original.

Anyway... we all know your a guy

doubleanti
08-19-2001, 12:41 AM
neither do i of all you, in the same token, nor do you of i...

[edited with this since it sounds kinda mean as-is]

gimme the example! i'd like to see it... :)

rick barclay
08-19-2001, 07:21 PM
A picnic would be cool. Fordy and his crowd could fly in from UK, kooma from Finland, Che from Spain. Can you
imagine!?

I have a picture of each member in my mind's eye;
what a shock to meet you all in person. What the hell
does Dean look like? Does Ken look like a little 13-
year old goofball? Silent Strike lives about 15 minutes away from me. Does he look like everybody else around
here? Does Theologian wear a collar? Is college girl
as sexy as she sounds? Is Govt Cheese a military man?
Are they thin? fat? Ugly (like me)? I might post a picture
of myself at my site just for laughs. That way, you folks
won't be so disappointed when we first meet. What
would we talk about, mitochondrial DNA? Jesus?
Bill Gates? drugs? I can't imagine! I think I'd be nervous as hell. I'd leave my wife home, because she hates
meeting anybody I know that she doesn't. Maybe I'd
bring my youngest. He's 14 and and can carry a conversation better than I can. I guess we should
serve plenty of booze to loosen people up. That would
get things rolling, speaking of which, I guess Hillbillie
and stoned coder would have to bring their own rolling
papers and stuff. I'd share a hit or two. Sounds cool.
Everyone's invited.

rick barclay

Govtcheez
08-20-2001, 07:18 AM
Is Govt Cheese a military man?Ha! That'll be the day... If we get into some prolonged conflict where we have have a draft, I'll probably stay in school until I get my doctorate, and then start over :)

That whole thing (get-together) sounds really cool...

It be interesting to see what happened once we decided talking about code got boring after awhile.

Iain, doubleanti, and I could stand on the picnic tables and poll the rest of the members with polls regarding everything under the sun.

Also, like I said before, if (by some weird coincidence) someone else is going to Kettering University (http://www.kettering.edu), I'll be at their Job Fair on Wednesday.

Cheeze-It
08-20-2001, 01:18 PM
Hey, look for me at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Buy your
tickets on Ebay. I'm not going to any event, but I live
in the state. Look for me, I resemble a potato.

Cheeze-It
08-20-2001, 01:27 PM
What the hell does Dean look like

I think he has his picture on the front page of his website.
Well, I'm guessing it's his picture. Why would he put a
picture of another guy on his website? Yeah, it's probably
him. Is that you Dean? Is that your picture?

doubleanti
08-20-2001, 01:28 PM
oh, yeah, goes without saying... but if anyone of you are in southern CA...

int main ()
{
goto TastyGoody:

return (-1);

TastyGoody:

meet_doubleanti_in_live ();
return (0);
}

weird, i thought i'd do it like that... (don't correct my code now, it's probably wrong somehow... with the goto and the multiple return statements not in a switch because of the goto and whatever...

of course, you wouldn't know which one is me and all... but if you really wanted to know you'd e-mail me... blah blah blah... (there is a parallel CA on mars somewhere...)

Theologian
08-20-2001, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by rick barclay
Does Theologian wear a collar? rick barclay

Nope.

I write code for a living. I am pretty active in my church and doing volunteer work w/the homeless- but I'm a rather nondescript nerd type.

My wife is quite a hottie- so none of you can meet her ever. (I'm insecure)

rick barclay
08-20-2001, 04:16 PM
Jesus Christ, Dean, when you going to update that
page!? "Last Update ==1-28-01? I though I was
bad...well, my page is kinda bad, but it'll get
better. Is that really you? I pictured you as a nerdy
scarecrow, a la Wizard of Oz, type. What the hell are
you smilin' at, anyways?

rick barclay

rick barclay
08-20-2001, 04:21 PM
>I am pretty active in my church and doing volunteer work w/the homeless...<

I should have met you in my hippie days--quite a few
of them were homeless. I can :p at my past now.

rick barclay

Witch_King
08-20-2001, 04:54 PM
Jesus Christ, Dean, when you going to update that
page!? "Last Update ==1-28-01? I though I was
bad...well, my page is kinda bad, but it'll get
better. Is that really you? I pictured you as a nerdy
scarecrow, a la Wizard of Oz, type. What the hell are
you smilin' at, anyways?

I have not updated my webpage for a long time because I want to create tutorials in C++ instead of C, and I've had to take a full semester of non programming classes in betwee, but I'm finally studying C++ now. The bad thing though now, is that I'm going to want to use C# instead of C++ so I probably wont update my page until 2002. Hey, I used to have a starwars webpage. It contained the entire script for 'Episode I' and also had over 300 Episode I pictures on it. I was getting about 200 hits per day. Took it down though.

No, I'm not quite nerdy, I actually used to lift weights and run the 100 meters sprint in high school, do boxing, judo, and lots of baseball (favorite sport). Since I started College though I've gained about 20 pounds and I have not lifted any weights nor played any sports. Sitting at the computer takes its toll, but I'll probably never be a scarecrow because of the athletic background. The only bad thing though is that I had a late start on computers. That picture is about 4 years old. I guess I was smiling because there was a wedding that day. Not mine though, my older brothers. He isn't around any more though, his car was demolished by a drunk driver in a welding truck, and my brother was also demolished, so back then, before the accident, that was the good times. I don't want to get fat like a pig, but at the same time it doesn't matter to me to be in great shape, it's not like I'm going to become a movie star, and I have no use for going after girls since now I know that if you have some success and money they will come to you.

I'll likely make a big deal out of it when I update my website. I've been going to codeguru lately because they have .NET message boards. You can make the text bigger over there after you register, it gives you options. Hopefully though, this place will get a C# board in the next couple months.

Cheeze-It
08-20-2001, 06:14 PM
I have no use for going after girls since now I know that if you have some success and money they will come to you.

Umm.. That's the spirit... (??)

I bench-pressed 40 pounds once. I'm sure I could've done
more, but I was afraid of the weights falling on my neck.

doubleanti
08-20-2001, 06:19 PM
>I bench-pressed 40 pounds once.

i got up to 90 then i stopped... what we all lack for physically we make up for (or at least theoretically) mentally... right? :)

Witch_King
08-20-2001, 06:36 PM
I wasn't super man or anything but I would bench press up to 225 lbs using Olympic weights.

Unregistered
08-20-2001, 08:26 PM
I've always hated lifting weights. Ugh!

I stay in shape thanks to my lawn service. I
fluctuate between 190-210. Last winter was
rough-ate my ass on. Had a good spring, though,
and got it down to 190. 195 now. So sorry about
your brother. I've lost a bro-in-law to cancer and
a niece to meningitis, so far. I'm ahead of the game,
at this point, thank God. I almost lost a son in a
car crash (he fell asleep while driving, took out two
rural mailboxes and turned over in a sod field;
missed a grove of oak trees by about 100 feet.)

I saw a book on C# in Barnes and Noble today. I
almost bought it, with the idea of publishing it on
my web site. Have other priorities, though.

Speaking of web sites, I checked out a few of the
member sites, including Sunlight's. Wow! That boy
is gifted with talent. I wonder if he really gets 200
hits a day asking questions. I can see why everybody wants him back here, now, even if he is a bit snobbish.
I guess he has a right to be. I'd like to compliment
the bloke who took his picture. That is one amazing photo, if you know what I mean.

rick barclay

Sebastiani
08-20-2001, 11:59 PM
I once bench pressed an undetermined amount but I got a hernia from it, now I just type instead...

Hey it was really fun checking out all of your webPages, but what gives? So barren! I guess too busy posting here-right? Ah well...it was cool seeing a pic of at least one member(Dean)...somehow I pictured him a bit taller- and more buff! Oh well, can't have it all! No seriously though... has anyone ever noticed that Salem never posts here? I peg him as a very serious type who drives a Crown Victoria, and definately a shirt-with-buttons kinda guy. Love to see his pic though! Anyone else with pictures on their websites? Or how about websites NOT under construction? HeHe:D

Theologian, Do you think we could just meet your wife just ONCE? PLEASE?!!

Govtcheez
08-21-2001, 05:42 AM
I would post a pic on my website, but mine, like Dean's, is about 4 years old (taken in my German class in 11th grade)... I look pretty much the same now, plus a little college weight, but that's going away now (apparently I'm the only one here that does work out)...

adrianxw
08-21-2001, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
(apparently I'm the only one here that does work out)...

Err, I'm a three times a week guy, in fact I'll be down at the gym later today.

Govtcheez
08-21-2001, 06:58 AM
Good to hear, adrian! I went yesterday, but won't be able to go again till Thursday....

zen
08-21-2001, 08:32 AM
Howcome Govtcheez has been promoted to professional meter hopper (or something like that) while Dean's back at Junior Member ???

Govtcheez
08-21-2001, 08:35 AM
You consider professional meter-hopper a promotion? I tell you, man, it doesn't pay really well, and the risk for injury is pretty high.

Also, you can edit your status in your profiles now (Thanks, Webmaster!)

zen
08-21-2001, 09:03 AM
Does that mean we could all be called Webmaster? :)

Govtcheez
08-21-2001, 11:24 AM
For all of those that are morbidly curious or just enjoy pain, I posted a pic I took of myself in German class a few years ago here (http://govtcheez1.tripod.com/bio.html)

Like I said, I look pretty much the same now, so don't say I didn't warn you!

rick barclay
08-21-2001, 02:43 PM
>Anyone else with pictures on their websites? <

Mine will soon. This site best viewed blindfolded:

http:www.flashdaddee.com

rick barclay

rick barclay
08-21-2001, 02:46 PM
>For all of those that are morbidly curious or just enjoy pain, I posted a pic I took of myself in German class...<

You sho' is ugly:p (but I'm uglier, you'll see).

rick barclay

Fordy
08-21-2001, 04:01 PM
Govtcheez - you did that page for your girlfriend??

Why you old romantic you!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Witch_King
08-21-2001, 04:26 PM
You guys better stop or else the Webmaster will shut this place down!

Govtcheez
08-22-2001, 04:47 AM
Actually Fordy, she did that :)

She asked for my help with some of it, but it was on Dreamweaver, and not terribly difficult to do...

You sho' is uglyWell, I did warn you :)

RobS
08-22-2001, 05:17 AM
Govtcheez.

It's a better photo that has, does or will ever exist of me.

There are photos of me on the web, but alas and alack I can't remember where off the top of my head.

They are on someone's site and are from a party I attended and some of them could be misinterpreted as to what was coming on and I'm ugly.

All things considered its probably best they stay lost. Unless anyone really wants to know what I look like, or what I did last summer

Govtcheez
08-22-2001, 07:30 AM
Well, I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or what... Anyways, if I was brave/stupid/sadistic enough to do it, you should too, Rob (and rick, too, for that matter)

RobS
08-22-2001, 08:03 AM
D'oh, Found a picture I was prepared to attach to this reply and it's too big, 169k.

There's no power on Earth that will make me give up the URL.

I suppose I could email it (the jpg) to someone here with webspace. I might play with it in paint shop pro. See if I can get rid of some of the useless bordering.

Well, that didn't work. Down now to a measly 35k and is apparantly not the right type of jpg.

rick barclay
08-22-2001, 04:42 PM
>and rick, too, for that matter)<

Oh, I will, and soon, too. Maybe tonight.

rick barclay

-KEN-
08-22-2001, 05:12 PM
Y'all saw my crappy 8th grade pic, right? I look nothing like that now...just like to clarify that...

Yeah, rick! put your pic up!

and to RobS...the upload doesn't work!! you can't do it anyway!!

RobS
08-23-2001, 02:11 AM
That explains a lot.

I was promised an email from technical services that doesn't seem to have showed up yet, although it would've have been sent to home eamil rather than work email that gets checked daily rather than constantly, but I'm not that bothered.

Here's the photo I'm prepared to show you.

photo (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~tmo/party/pages/Purple!.htm)

Guess which is me.

Govtcheez
08-23-2001, 10:22 AM
Went to Rick's site....

AAAGGGHHH!!! Avert your eyes, children!! (j/k :p)

Also, Rob, that's not that bad of a pic...

We (well, I, anyways) don't believe you, ken! Post a newer one!

rick barclay
08-23-2001, 01:23 PM
>Went to Rick's site.... not that bad of a pic... <

Well, thanks, pal:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

rick barclay

Govtcheez
08-23-2001, 01:25 PM
Rick Barclay: master of selective perception :)

RobS
08-24-2001, 01:29 AM
Well, as far as I'm aware and for very obvious reasons that's the best picture of me ever taken. And it's mostly due not to me. Still I can't complain.

I've since discovered that 2 other people also took that shot of me, and that it's pretty much the last thing I remember from that evening through a combination of the alcohol catching up with me and the occasional low beam.

doubleanti
10-01-2001, 11:13 PM
we are always at unrest with ourselves... pictures, programming, music... but that is what makes us want to be better... i for one, right now at least, am perfectly content... and actually am humbled and surprised at the *cough* brief *cough* turnout of my behold thread...

so, i promise you all that within... oh, let's say, the year's end i'll have some sort of demo for you all...

-KEN-
10-02-2001, 07:48 AM
finefine, I'll find a newer one sooner or later.

basilisk
11-15-2001, 06:12 PM
so, i promise you all that within... oh, let's say, the year's end i'll have some sort of demo for you all...

is this the demo we have just seen or is there now going to be another all improved version - eager minds are anxious to know

doubleanti
11-15-2001, 06:14 PM
behold 2.0 in progress...

-KEN-
11-15-2001, 06:45 PM
I promise I'll find a newer pic later...

I can't find any good ones right now...